PDA

View Full Version : SLO Granfondo

norcalbiker
09-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Last year I did the SLO Granfondo with my nephews. This year we are going to do it again, but this time my wife and my son is doing it with me. I told my wife and my son that the SLO Granfondo is one of the easiest Century Ride I have done so they decided to do it with me.

I was just looking at their website and according to them that the ride has a total of 7669 ft of climbing. I really don't remember climbing that much last year.

I know that a few members here did this ride last year or the year before. Did they change the route? If not, is it really that much of climbing?

Steve in SLO
09-17-2012, 06:20 PM
All I have to say is after looking at the course for the 100, they must be counting every single millimeter of climb in the ride. Basically after 15-20 miles there is a nice climb up Old Creek Road that starts gently and builds to a ~2 mile steep climb. This is followed by some rollers and a several mile 4ish% climb on HWY 46, which then descends to HWY 1. From there there is nothing too long or steep.
That being said, if you are looking for easy, try the TreQuarti.

Also, are you sure your friends weren't talking about the Loghthouse Century, which covers much the same route? It has traditionally been pretty easy, although there are some changes for this year.

norcalbiker
09-17-2012, 06:31 PM
All I have to say is after looking at the course for the 100, they must be counting every single millimeter of climb in the ride. Basically after 15-20 miles there is a nice climb up Old Creek Road that starts gently and builds to a ~2 mile steep climb. This is followed by some rollers and a several mile 4ish% climb on HWY 46, which then descends to HWY 1. From there there is nothing too long or steep.
That being said, if you are looking for easy, try the TreQuarti.

Also, are you sure your friends weren't talking about the Loghthouse Century, which covers much the same route? It has traditionally been pretty easy, although there are some changes for this year.

Like I said. I did this ride last year and I don't remember climbing that much.

Here is the link to their site stating the amount of climbing.

http://www.slogranfondo.com/courses/

Ken Robb
09-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Leslie and I spent 5 nights in Cambria a few weeks ago and I recommend it as a nice, cool place to stay and eat. We rented a house (many are offered on line) but there were several lovely hotel/motel/lodge offerings along Moonstone Beach Rd.

norcalbiker
09-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Leslie and I spent 5 nights in Cambria a few weeks ago and I recommend it as a nice, cool place to stay and eat. We rented a house (many are offered on line) but there were several lovely hotel/motel/lodge offerings along Moonstone Beach Rd.

Thanks for the info but we rented a house in cayucos (sp).

Steve in SLO
09-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Like I said. I did this ride last year and I don't remember climbing that much.

Here is the link to their site stating the amount of climbing.

http://www.slogranfondo.com/courses/

I saw the course before responding and I still cannot believe there is that much climbing involved. It is not a hard course. I do not believe it has been changed.
As an aside, 2 years ago a number of my friends rode with the lead group and said it was the easiest, most enjoyable century they had ridden. They rode most of the way with Tejay VG, who pulled them most of the way home from Cambria. A few miles from the finish, Tejay asked if anyone wanted to stop at the rest stop for a snack, and my buddies agreed. A couple of riders who had been in the group then rode away madly so they could 'win' the ride. After having pulled these riders for miles, Tejay reportedly said "What jerks", or something similar:eek:.

mosca
09-17-2012, 10:02 PM
I've done the Lighthouse Century on this same basic route. Doing the flat option on that ride and bypassing Old Creek Rd, I think there is about 3000 feet of climbing, although it's rolling, big-ring stuff so the vertical feet are not really noticeable. Throw in the 2000+ feet on the Old Creek climb and I'd guess there is less than 6000 feet total on the Gran Fondo route, unless I'm missing something.

Ken Robb
09-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info but we rented a house in cayucos (sp).

Close enough. We had 3 wonderful meals w/wine at Madeline's in Cambria. You can get an on-line coupon for a free appetizer or half-off a bottle of wine. We used it for Brochelle Zin(fabulous big fruit-bomb) all three nights and then bought their last 2 bottles to go home with our mixed case from their retail store/tasting room on-site. :banana: