PDA

View Full Version : Disappointment in my FSA K-Force Light Crank

Liv2RideHard
09-17-2012, 03:22 PM
I have been running a K-Force Light Crank on my mountain bike for around 3 years or so. Love it. Super light and very stiff. Over the weekend I noticed some play (+/- 2mm) in my pedal. I disassembled my eggbeater, thinking maybe it was the spindle or something. There was nothing wrong with my pedal. The pedal threads molded into the carbon crank arm is the culprit. The metal threads that the pedal screws into had de-bonded itself from the carbon.

In short, no way to fix this. Crank is toast. Of course it is drive side. I called FSA and since it is out of warranty all they could offer me was crash replacement...30% off retail. FSA K-Force Lights retail for like $650-$700. Even with 30% off retail I am over $500. Bummer. I asked FSA if they happen to have a drive side K-Force Light arm in stock and they said no and even if they did, it would probably be north of $300.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a drive side crank arm. There is a non-drive arm on the Bay right now so a drive side is liable to come up.

Considering this is a known and documented problem (googled it) I was hoping FSA would be willing to do more. I can understand their position though since my crank is so out of warranty. Not sure I want to run another one though for fear of the same issue...

Anybody else ever have this happen to them? I guess it is a possible problem with any carbon crank out there. Thanks.

Guy

rice rocket
09-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Google FSA crank failure, you'll find plenty of stories. Don't risk your gentleman vegetables. Friends don't let friends run FSA.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/429161_10151251120440724_654400723_22975679_205782 928_n.jpg

Liv2RideHard
09-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Actually, that did come to mind when I discovered my problem.

AngryScientist
09-17-2012, 04:00 PM
I've heard plenty of crappy reports concerning FDA crank sets. You got three years out of yours, consider that your money's worth; buy new cranks of a more reputable brand. It's all good.

godfrey1112000
09-17-2012, 07:32 PM
When I had the lbs call FSA they told us tough luck, it was out of warranty by three months, nothing they could do no discount on another purchase,
worst customer service I have ever seen

FSA stands for F-ing Stupid A--h--les

worst company ever, it has been beat to death here, but one more log on the fire:no:

CaptStash
09-18-2012, 12:16 AM
That's interesting. I had the same issue come up, called them myself, and now have a brand new crankset. I guess I'm lucky that mine wasn't out of warranty. In my case, FSA's customer service was fantastic. The rep. even told me to remove the chain rings. Imagine my surprise when the new cranks came with brand new chain rings!

For the OP: I did a bit of googling myself, and it appears that some folks have had luck using a thin stainless washer between the pedal and the crank arm. I was also considering masking and flooding with penetrating epoxy. There's a Devon product I think might be strong enough

Not sure I buy that FSA cranks are exploding quite as frequently as carbon forks. :banana:

Stash....

rustychisel
09-18-2012, 12:35 AM
This was [is?] a known issue with early generation FSA carbon cranks, supposedly addressed. As was the alloy capture bolt used on the 2 piece design, the bolt being made of cheese. They're not exactly windmilling deathtraps as some would have you believe.

Oh, and Campagnolo early carbon cranks (square taper) had exactly the same pedal insert unbonding issue. Funnily enough, Campagnolo told me the cranks were out of warranty and there was nothing they would do.

awilding
09-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks for posting. Was trying to decide between this and another crank for my next build. Decision made...

rice rocket
09-18-2012, 10:17 AM
They're not exactly windmilling deathtraps as some would have you believe.

Crank failures are no joke. Did you miss the Bronzini video? She almost got run over by the UCI car. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWmGlKohaXc

bobswire
09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Crank failures are no joke. Did you miss the Bronzini video? She almost got run over by the UCI car. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWmGlKohaXc

Yes but that is the exception rather than the rule,besides that have since addressed that problem. I'd venture to guess FSA sells as much if not more cranks than Shimano or Sram. Poop happens to the best of them.

http://i45.tinypic.com/jinu4x.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/autuu0.jpg

Lewis Moon
09-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Guess I'll be stocking up on old school Campy alu Record cranks.
Gots to protect the Man Veggies.

R2D2
09-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Google FSA crank failure, you'll find plenty of stories. Don't risk your gentleman vegetables. Friends don't let friends run FSA.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/429161_10151251120440724_654400723_22975679_205782 928_n.jpg

Well they'll be ok since it is women racing.....

jeffreyt
09-18-2012, 02:50 PM
I had three aluminum spindle bonding failures on FSA road cranks. FSA replaced all three cranks.

I also broke a Campy Chorus crank the same way, but Campagnolo wouldn't warranty their crank.

reggiebaseball
09-18-2012, 08:08 PM
I'd venture to guess FSA sells as much if not more cranks than Shimano or Sram.

FSA turns out tons of ****ty cranks, like McDonalds turns out tons of ****ty meals. Volume is not indicative of quality.

FSA cranks suck, every last one of them, and every cyclist I think learns that eventually.

avalonracing
09-18-2012, 08:13 PM
I had good customer service from FSA, they sent me some wheel bearings and some torx bolts no charge. As for the bearings, they were on wheels that were no longer under warranty and the Torx bolts broke because I wasn't using a torque wrench.

Jeff N.
09-18-2012, 08:13 PM
I have been running a K-Force Light Crank on my mountain bike for around 3 years or so. Love it. Super light and very stiff. Over the weekend I noticed some play (+/- 2mm) in my pedal. I disassembled my eggbeater, thinking maybe it was the spindle or something. There was nothing wrong with my pedal. The pedal threads molded into the carbon crank arm is the culprit. The metal threads that the pedal screws into had de-bonded itself from the carbon.

In short, no way to fix this. Crank is toast. Of course it is drive side. I called FSA and since it is out of warranty all they could offer me was crash replacement...30% off retail. FSA K-Force Lights retail for like $650-$700. Even with 30% off retail I am over $500. Bummer. I asked FSA if they happen to have a drive side K-Force Light arm in stock and they said no and even if they did, it would probably be north of $300.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a drive side crank arm. There is a non-drive arm on the Bay right now so a drive side is liable to come up.

Considering this is a known and documented problem (googled it) I was hoping FSA would be willing to do more. I can understand their position though since my crank is so out of warranty. Not sure I want to run another one though for fear of the same issue...

Anybody else ever have this happen to them? I guess it is a possible problem with any carbon crank out there. Thanks.

GuyI remember I once had this POS Zipp carbon crankset. It was quite expensive. Had the same thing happen. Sent it back in a box to Zipp with a nasty letter. They offered me a discount on a PAIR OF THEIR WHEELS! No warranty, no nothing. To this day I won't buy ANYTHING with the Zipp label on it.