PDA

View Full Version : Hello (I am new)

CDollarsign
09-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Hello all!
I am new and was directed to this forum from another member and it seems to be extremely legitimate. You all seem way more knowledgable than I.

I live in St. Louis and am in graduate school. I have a 08 Lemond Alpe D'Huez and a vintage Van Tuly, which I know nothing about other than its too small for me.

Here is the Van Tuyl:
http://cdn.velospace.org/files/dscn7976o_c1f.jpg

Its TSX and has a Cinelli BB lug (ST: 58.5 c-c, TT 57 c-c). It has a sticker that says 'Pesenti Designs' on it so I think its italian. I would really like to trade with someone or sell this frame for a 61 ish frame but would like to establish myself a little bit first.

jlwdm
09-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Welcome to the forum. Don't assume everyone knows more about bikes than you do. The forum is a great place to learn about bikes just remember don't believe everything you read on the internet - including on the Pace Line Forum.

Use the search function to find lots of great information.

Good luck with the Van Tuyl.

Jeff

norcalbiker
09-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Welcome to the forum! :)

David Kirk
09-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Welcome!

dave

sc53
09-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Welcome--and beautiful vintage bike~! Sorry it's too small for you.

CDollarsign
09-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks! Its a major bummer seeing as its almost NOS... Oh well, you live you learn... and hopefully find a similar frame in the right size.

azrider
09-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Wash U or SLU?

CDollarsign
09-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Wash U. Are you in the area or alum?

azrider
09-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Wash U. Are you in the area or alum?

Word. Great school, great city. Welcome to forum.

Born and raised in the STL (Mizzou grad) and considered SLU/WASHU but passed on the idea of coming back 'home' for graduate school.

saab2000
09-17-2012, 01:20 PM
You need a longer stem. Then it might fit. And it will surely handle better.

CDollarsign
09-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Word. Great school, great city. Welcome to forum.

Born and raised in the STL (Mizzou grad) and considered SLU/WASHU but passed on the idea of coming back 'home' for graduate school.

I went to Mizzou for undergrad, best 5.5 years of my life! I move to STL for a job and ended up hating it after 3 years and decided to get my masters to open doors to more technical positions...

oliver1850
09-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Welcome :banana:

When that bike was listed on ebay, it was said to have a 58 top tube. Which dimension is too small, height or reach?

I belive it's a Dutch made frame, as it says Holland on the down tube.

If you want to trade for a 61 x 58 Nishiki Ultimate, let me know.:beer:

CDollarsign
09-17-2012, 01:27 PM
You need a longer stem. Then it might fit. And it will surely handle better.

I could fit it with a longer stem and seat post, but would prefer to ride the whole group as is. Stem would have been changed if I was going to keep the frame...

William
09-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Welcome to the Paceline!:beer:

William

azrider
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM
That might be the tiniest quill stem i've ever seen!! If you're on a budget, check out fleabay or Performancebikes.com and pick up a forte stem in the 120-130 range.

If you do decide to get rid of it let me know, i'd like to at least make offer. My folks are still in STL and they could easily come by pick it up.

Hope you get it worked out though........sweet looking bike.

saab2000
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
I could fit it with a longer stem and seat post, but would prefer to ride the whole group as is. Stem would have been changed if I was going to keep the frame...

It's a cool bike. And a complete Athena groupset from that era is kind of rare. Cool stuff.

The bars and stem are Cinelli. You could put a 130 Cinelli 1A on there and have it fit better and have a better stem. The bars are probably 26.4mm (measure to be sure) so be sure to find a matching size Cinelli stem.

Good luck! Nice bike!

William
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
That might be the tiniest quill stem i've ever seen!! If you're on a budget, check out fleabay or Performancebikes.com and pick up a forte stem in the 120-130 range.

If you do decide to get rid of it let me know, i'd like to at least make offer. My folks are still in STL and they could easily come by pick it up.

Hope you get it worked out though........sweet looking bike.

I was going to say slap a 130 on there but the op mentioned keeping the same components. Saab was on the right track.

William

CDollarsign
09-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Welcome :banana:

When that bike was listed on ebay, it was said to have a 58 top tube. Which dimension is too small, height or reach?

I belive it's a Dutch made frame, as it says Holland on the down tube.

If you want to trade for a 61 x 58 Nishiki Ultimate, let me know.:beer:

Yeah, it wasn't measured right. The reach would be OK with a 130mm stem. Height is also an issue. I need 2-3 more cm to be able to keep my campy post, which is what I want to do...

oliver1850
09-17-2012, 01:38 PM
I have the same problem with frames that have the right TT length, always have to run MTB seatposts.

azrider
09-17-2012, 01:54 PM
I was going to say slap a 130 on there but the op mentioned keeping the same components. Saab was on the right track

true. true.

i guess i'm just one that's willing to make a $20 investment to make sure it will do the trick in getting my fit to improve before buying higher end piece........then again that's just me.

CDollarsign
09-17-2012, 03:23 PM
true. true.

i guess i'm just one that's willing to make a $20 investment to make sure it will do the trick in getting my fit to improve before buying higher end piece........then again that's just me.

I'd need a new post too. I'd rather just find a frame that fits than make it fit awkwardly. PM me and we can discuss details if your interested in buying it.

djg21
09-17-2012, 04:33 PM
A friend of mine builds frames that brandish "NBI" tubing stickers. He had them made for his framesets, and "NBI" stands for Nothing But Initials. He'll build from any tubeset you want, but you will get an "NBI" sticker no matter what.

MarleyMon
09-17-2012, 05:48 PM
... I would really like to trade with someone or sell this frame ...
...PM me and we can discuss details if your interested in buying it.

I wish you wouldn't use the General category to sell.

Ken Robb
09-17-2012, 06:11 PM
too few posts for the classifieds.

buldogge
09-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Hey Colin...I see you found your way here.

As I said the other day, given the market for vintage steel...unless you find the perfect buyer...I think you need to wrap your head around using a 130mm stem and getting a longer seat post.

You will end up very happy with the ride, for very little effort/outlay...in the end.

I would use a Ritchey classic with the logo removed, or perhaps the VO setback polished silver post. A 130mm XA shouldn't be to hard to find...Karl at A&M may even have one on the shelf still. Alternatively the Cinelli 1A is being made again...and...is 26.0 now.

Stick around...join the fun...great group of folks here...lot's to learn!

-Mark in St. Louis

oliver1850
09-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Ari got my 130 1A last week, but I have a 140 TTT. Someone here has a bar to go with it.

buldogge
09-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Hey Mark... Colin's current stem and bar are 3TTT... He needs a 26.0 XA/XE, or the 3TTT would be perfect (other than any flex...???).

Otherwise, He can always just polish up an Origin 8, until he find the perfect stem.

I have some 64-42s if he needs a 26.4 bar.

-Mark in St. Louis

Ari got my 130 1A last week, but I have a 140 TTT. Someone here has a bar to go with it.

CDollarsign
09-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks Mark. I'm looking into stems and posts for the time being. The ultimate goal is to get a bigger frame, which I think won't be a problem.

khjr
09-18-2012, 05:55 AM
I am new and ... I have a 08 Lemond Alpe D'Huez and a vintage Van Tuly.

Welcome, and you're off to the good start as I've surmised that 90%+ of my fellow forumites have more than one road bike and are often trying to sell the "one too many." The challenge is in resisting the temptation to replace the one bike (too many) that you sell with another bike (too many)! :-)

slinkywizard
09-18-2012, 06:03 AM
Van Tuyl is indeed a dutch company. They are still around actually, offering mostly custom geometry on their in house "van Tuyl" brand. I believe they outsource most of their stuff. The titanium frames used to be built in russia.

http://www.vantuyl.nl (website is in dutch...)

oliver1850
09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
I think the 140 is a Synthesis, not perfect by any means, but not terrible. I paid $20 for it. It might need the sand and polish treatment to go on a bike that nice.

Hey Mark... Colin's current stem and bar are 3TTT... He needs a 26.0 XA/XE, or the 3TTT would be perfect (other than any flex...???).

Otherwise, He can always just polish up an Origin 8, until he find the perfect stem.

I have some 64-42s if he needs a 26.4 bar.

-Mark in St. Louis