PDA

View Full Version : Problems with trainer?

Chad Engle
10-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Has anyone heard of any problems associated with using a trainer? Ie, frame or dropout issues? Makes me nervous clamping the bike to that thing. Maybe I worry too much. Thanks. :help:

Chris
10-05-2005, 11:00 AM
you worry too much.

jdoiv
10-05-2005, 11:07 AM
riding rollers. Nothing to clamp your bike to. Just have to be carefull not to fall off. :) (I know from experience). :D

it's great for your spin, balance and bike handling skills as well....

Too Tall
10-05-2005, 12:12 PM
This topic has been worked over quite alot in the past and nobody has any good evidence that locking your bike into a rear wheel clamp/stand harms bikes. Heck, I was horrified and I do mean HORRIFIED when I saw a fellow racers Pegoretti CCKMP (it is made with really light alum. tubset) with badly mauled rear dropouts from clamping in a trainer...her explaination was "it is the only bike I have" :) Anywho, even the CCKMP seemed to survive. If anything, corrosion from sweat is more a concern.

Dr. Doofus
10-05-2005, 12:39 PM
you might like the trainer

Dekonick
10-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Get a steel quick release skewer - don't use anything you care about...

say - has anyone seen the trainer specific tires made by conti? (or used them for that matter)

Ti Designs
10-05-2005, 05:48 PM
say - has anyone seen the trainer specific tires made by conti? (or used them for that matter)

We have them at Wheelworks, they are **VERY** orange (climb-o, that Ottrott is just screaming out for 'em!). I have to question the need, they are cheaper, but as long as the tire is going at the same rate as the roller there's very little wear. I ran my normal tires on the trainer all last season (46 hours of trainer time) and the only side effect was a silver tire for the first few miles on the road.

I suggested to the Conti rep that they sell them in pairs like their Attack/Force pair. You can fool some of the people all of the time, if that some is more than 50% they've increased their profits!

Too Tall
10-06-2005, 07:09 AM
TiD - you are truly evil sometimes...we could hang ;)

george
10-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Set aside a specific skewer for the bike that you attach to your trainer. Last winter I attached my Seotta to my Cycleops and left it attached through the winter and was riding my Rock Lobster outside and my Serotta on the trainer (while watching Tour de France highlights). When I wanted my Serotta it was STUCK... I could not free the wheel from the Cycleops VISE! Finally I got it free. My Mavic skewer was scratched up pretty bad though.