PDA

View Full Version : OT, eBay possible scam question.

FastVegan
09-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Sorry for the OT, but this crowd is very eBay savvy. I sold an item that was listed only as a buy it now, sold for $30 free shipping. Buyer paid PayPal no issues at all. Shipped the item Thursday, should be delivered Tuesday. All normal.
I did a search for the same item I sold (to see if I undersold myself) and I find the buyer selling the item I just sold him, with my pictures and description with the exact same buy it now price (and free s&h)!?!?

What gives?

I could see of he hacked a eBay/PayPal account to get the items, then sell them with a different account, but a $30 item?
After shipping and fees I may pocket $19, is it worth it to a thief?

Thanks for your input.
Dave

echelon_john
09-17-2012, 07:25 AM
He probably makes it up on volume.

cfox
09-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Weird. Maybe buyer's remorse and he just wants to re-sell it? At least he saved you the trouble of returning the item to you. How is it you are being scammed if you got your $$?

FastVegan
09-17-2012, 07:38 AM
I don't think it is a scam that is why I said "possible" scam.

Don't think it is volume, he has 200ish feedback.

I did say "no returns" but the item is still in the mail.

echelon_john
09-17-2012, 07:47 AM
just kidding on the volume thing. it's like the 'Change Bank' on SNL---you go in with a dollar, they give you 4 quarters. How do they make any money? "Volume!"

cmg
09-17-2012, 10:28 AM
doesn't sound like a scam. buyer probably changed his mind or discovered after he bought that the part would'nt fit his build. I've done what you experienced because the part was the wrong model or the wrong year and i discovered it after i made the purchase.

mhespenheide
09-17-2012, 06:20 PM
If he's got uniformly good feedback and hasn't announced to the world that he's been hacked, he's probably legitimate.

It's happened to me a couple of times when I've bid on two of the same item and unexpectedly won both (with deliberately lowball bids). I've bought both, kept one, and turned around and sold the other.

I'm not usually that fast on the turnaround, though...

It could also be that he changed his mind, but keeping his feedback score is more important to him than the hassle of reselling it.

Don49
09-17-2012, 07:01 PM
It's happened to me a couple of times when I've bid on two of the same item and unexpectedly won both (with deliberately lowball bids). I've bought both, kept one, and turned around and sold the other.

The OP could do an advanced search by bidder ID and see if indeed the buyer bought two of the same item.

martinrjensen
09-17-2012, 09:24 PM
I id pretty much that exact same thing only I think I lost money. I bought a frame, then changed my mind, sold it as soon as I got it.