PDA

View Full Version : magic carpet tires

AngryScientist
09-17-2012, 06:42 AM
mama mia!

for mixed road riding, i dont know if it gets any better than these puppies, at least as far as clinchers are concerned. so supple, so smooth. i heart these tires. that is all.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rsokd1yzvXE/UFcGO-auMyI/AAAAAAAAAy4/_4megmWtWas/s640/IMG_0163.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lmMxkfeHKIE/UFcGQb7l4rI/AAAAAAAAAzA/zl2x48fQ59g/s640/IMG_0164.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ma9eDcpb3tY/UFcGRv33WVI/AAAAAAAAAzI/LkzooVUcs-Q/s640/IMG_0165.JPG

cosmonaut
09-17-2012, 06:58 AM
Might have to give them a shot when my Vittorias are finished.

Which skewers are those?

BillG
09-17-2012, 07:04 AM
They are very comfy, but they puncture like mofos.

Climb01742
09-17-2012, 07:07 AM
What 27/28s do folks like that balance ride quality and decent puncture resistance? Thanks.

CNY rider
09-17-2012, 07:11 AM
What 27/28s do folks like that balance ride quality and decent puncture resistance? Thanks.

Grand Bois 700X28.

echelon_john
09-17-2012, 07:17 AM
roly polys.

love or hate "the whole rivendell thing," these tires are really excellent.

azrider
09-17-2012, 08:30 AM
They are very comfy, but they puncture like mofos.

this was my experience. Hope the OP gets more mileage outta his.

Aaron O
09-17-2012, 08:38 AM
I came very close to buying a set of those...I am looking forward to seeing how these work out for the OP. My favorite 28c all rounder' compromise tires are the Conti GP 4 seasons. I reserve the right to change that opinion with further tire experimentation and I've never used the Grand Bois tires that everyone is so excited about.

Straz
09-17-2012, 08:40 AM
I put 3500 miles on a set of Clement Strada LLGs in 28c (60 tpi) with out any flats. I have ordered a set of 120 tpi and looking for the same results. They are my every day tire and I ride a lot of dirt roads.

FlashUNC
09-17-2012, 08:45 AM
I have a set of Parigi Roubaix clinchers on my cross bike and a pair of the Strada tubies on one of my road bikes.

Zero flats from either so far....but I know their reputation, its bound to happen sooner or later...

But totally agree. Really comfy tires. Total pain to mount though.

torquer
09-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Two cautions about these PR clinchers: they are bigger than the advertised 27c size, and, in my experience, at least, a beyotch to install.
Make sure you have the clearance, and carry those big yellow (Pedro's?) tire levers for on-the-road repairs.
They did ride nice, though, for the 100 miles I had them on the bike.

Straz, how do the Stradas (literally) measure up?

Not really for mixed road use, but I've been riding 25c Panaracers for a few weeks; jury's still out, even after racing on them yesterday in Greenwich. They are close to their nominal 25 size, smaller than PR3s, bigger than Vittorias. One of these days, I'll do some roll-down tests to compare the Michelins and the Panas.

Aaron O
09-17-2012, 10:34 AM
One added suggestion to the above - throw out the Pedros levers and buy these:

http://www.xxcycle.com/demontes-pneu-route-x3-tire-levers,,en.html

They are MUCH easier to use and rely on design rather than strength...they slip under the belt and you'll never have to force or apply massive amounts of pressure. I broke a Pedro once (gasp) on a tire...tried these, and they had it off in 2 seconds.

torquer
09-17-2012, 10:56 AM
...and rely on design rather than strength...
Sounds like my racing strategy: age and cunning overcomes youth and strength;)
Surprised you broke the Pedros, since the ones I have sure seemed studly, but I'll risk the couple bucks for the Michelin levers if it means the $100 pair of Challenge clinchers no longer need to gather dust.

GRAVELBIKE
09-17-2012, 10:59 AM
roly polys.

love or hate "the whole rivendell thing," these tires are really excellent.

Do they have a noticeably better/different ride than 28mm Paselas (non-TG)?

Aaron O
09-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Sounds like my racing strategy: age and cunning overcomes youth and strength;)
Surprised you broke the Pedros, since the ones I have sure seemed studly, but I'll risk the couple bucks for the Michelin levers if it means the $100 pair of Challenge clinchers no longer need to gather dust.

:banana:

You'll thank me after using them...they're the best $15 investment (or whatever shipping is) you can make. I had never broken a Pedro and considered them the gold standard...finally I hit a tire that was just horrendous (I forget the type) and I broke TWO Pedros on it. I had no idea what to do and thought I might have to go to my LBS, with an ashamed look, to get off a frigging tire!

Then memory kicked in. I'd bought a cool old Centurion...I think as a flip...and I'd found these weird looking levers in the saddle bag. I tossed them into a box and forgot about them. When i was wondering what to do - I had already killed all of my irons - I remembered those weird old levers and figured what the heck, nothing to lose. That tire was off in a second with no effort.

GRAVELBIKE
09-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Those Michelin levers are actually copies of the long-defunct Wheelsmith levers (known as Wheel Peelers).

Steve in SLO
09-17-2012, 12:27 PM
I just bought a pair of the Challenges for my Masi and tried to mount one the other night. After 1 minute, I realized these fit ridiculously tight and will need to be heated/stretched before my next attempt. I look forward to the ride, though.

Steve in SLO
09-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Anyone know of a stateside store that carries the Michelin levers? They look promising.

jr59
09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
I just bought a pair of the Challenges for my Masi and tried to mount one the other night. After 1 minute, I realized these fit ridiculously tight and will need to be heated/stretched before my next attempt. I look forward to the ride, though.

put them in the dryer for a short while.

Aaron O
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Anyone know of a stateside store that carries the Michelin levers? They look promising.

I've been trying to talk my LBS into carrying them, thus far it's a no go. They are fantastic - I've never used a better lever.

sc53
09-17-2012, 12:50 PM
I've got a set of those Challenge Parigi Roubaix tires but after 3 flats on ONE (only 40-mile) ride I took them off and put them back in my bike closet. If anyone wants to try them for him or herself--they will be free but for the cost of shipping. Frankly, I didn't notice if the ride was more supple or anything because I kept discovering I was bumping along on my rim. :mad: I moved on to Pasela Tour Guards and Riv Roly Poly's. Never had a flat on either and I LOVE the Roly Poly's, they ride very smoothly. They are also 700 x 27 on most rims.

Tim Porter
09-17-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm trying the new Schwalbe Ultremo ZX clinchers in 28mm on the '84 Sachs I'm prepping for the L'Eroica ride in Italy in a few weeks. So far I'm loving them--magic carpet ride, etc. Time will tell about durability. Very easy to mount, great on gravel in my shakedown cruises. They measure out to a true 28mm on my Open Pro rims. Roly polys were my earlier experiment but the bulbous shape didn't leave enough clearance under the front brake. These are fine. Tim

CNY rider
09-17-2012, 12:56 PM
I came very close to buying a set of those...I am looking forward to seeing how these work out for the OP. My favorite 28c all rounder' compromise tires are the Conti GP 4 seasons. I reserve the right to change that opinion with further tire experimentation and I've never used the Grand Bois tires that everyone is so excited about.

The Conti GP 4 seasons and the Grand Bois are only related in as much as both are bicycle tires.
I commute daily on the Contis and agree they are an excellent compromise of performance and durability.
I also have the Grand Bois on my Goodrich and just got back from a nice 40 mile ride. They are a much more supple tire, with more pleasant road feedback than the Contis. I do not think they have the same puncture resistance although I have not flatted one yet, in a year's few thousand miles of riding.

AngryScientist
09-17-2012, 12:57 PM
woo, i'm glad i'm not the only one who had trouble mounting these tires.

when i have a trouble tire, i just break out the pedros downhill tire lever in my basement, there is nothing this thing cant overcome...

http://wheelworld.com/images/library/large/pedros_dh_trlvr_07_m.jpg

Dave Wages
09-17-2012, 01:02 PM

I've had really good luck with Vittoria Rubino Pro III 28c tires. They've got a 150tpi casing so they're pretty supple, but wear quite well and I've not had an undue amount of punctures either.

I've also ridden the Clement Strada LLG 28c folding tires with the 120tpi casing, and while they're similar, I like the ride of the Rubino's slightly better.

Cheers,
Dave

Ramjm_2000
09-17-2012, 01:13 PM
I've had really good luck with Vittoria Rubino Pro III 28c tires. They've got a 150tpi casing so they're pretty supple, but wear quite well and I've not had an undue amount of punctures either.

I've also ridden the Clement Strada LLG 28c folding tires with the 120tpi casing, and while they're similar, I like the ride of the Rubino's slightly better.

Cheers,
Dave

I have to agree. I've pretty muched switched to the Rubiono 3s and the Slicks as my training tires of choice. I find them the best mix of supple ride and durability, more so than my previous Contis, Clements, and even my Open Paves. The 28s are really a sweet tire. Plus they are black on black...not a fan of the tan sidewall trend, yuk.

Aaron O
09-17-2012, 01:13 PM
The Conti GP 4 seasons and the Grand Bois are only related in as much as both are bicycle tires.
I commute daily on the Contis and agree they are an excellent compromise of performance and durability.
I also have the Grand Bois on my Goodrich and just got back from a nice 40 mile ride. They are a much more supple tire, with more pleasant road feedback than the Contis. I do not think they have the same puncture resistance although I have not flatted one yet, in a year's few thousand miles of riding.

I'm definitely going to have to try out the Grand Bois.

I know everyone is convinced their Pedros are great - but use the Michelins once and you'll never touch another tire lever. They are that much better.

bluesea
09-17-2012, 01:30 PM

The (new?) thin flat-backed Lezyne levers work surprisingly well, with tight Conti 4000S and velox-taped Neutron. The tip is smallish and surprisingly well formed. They make other stuff look like Lego.

Aaron O
09-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Those Lezynes look like a very similar design...might be worth checking out.

smead
09-17-2012, 02:15 PM
this was my experience. Hope the OP gets more mileage outta his.

+1 on that based on my experiences with them. Sublime ride, fast rolling, but puncture waaaaay too easy and wear out quick. These are race day / event tires, not for every day use.

Oh and +1 for rubinos, that's what on my tandem now. They roll well, and are durable.

jpw
09-17-2012, 02:40 PM

Schwalbe Marathon Racer folding 28s

jpw
09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm trying the new Schwalbe Ultremo ZX clinchers in 28mm on the '84 Sachs I'm prepping for the L'Eroica ride in Italy in a few weeks. So far I'm loving them--magic carpet ride, etc. Time will tell about durability. Very easy to mount, great on gravel in my shakedown cruises. They measure out to a true 28mm on my Open Pro rims. Roly polys were my earlier experiment but the bulbous shape didn't leave enough clearance under the front brake. These are fine. Tim

These?
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing_tires/ultremo_zx

You don't think you'll need a tread pattern for L'Eroica?

Which distance are you going to attempt?

Tim Porter
09-17-2012, 05:01 PM
No, not worried about it. I've ridden there a fair amount and don't think a tread adds anything. I'm doing the 135km route. YMMV. Tim

danielpack22@ma
09-17-2012, 07:05 PM
I put 3500 miles on a set of Clement Strada LLGs in 28c (60 tpi) with out any flats. I have ordered a set of 120 tpi and looking for the same results. They are my every day tire and I ride a lot of dirt roads.

I have a set of the 120 tip Clements and they have given me nothing but trouble. I was having a flat literally every other ride. :help:

I hope you have a better experience than I did.

AgilisMerlin
09-17-2012, 09:09 PM
nice rubber and ride i bet.

i miss my axis, (like) a lot.

gomango
09-17-2012, 10:38 PM
I used PRs for the last two seasons.

Wore the first set out two summers ago and this last summer ended up taking the new set off as they seemed to widen as they aged.

Just too wide for the rear stays.

Tossed some Gatorskins on and had three flats in a week. :(

I ended up putting on a set of Veloflex Master 23s which are a different type of tire than the PRs.

Handles great, but I do miss the plush ride.

Here's a pic with the PRs.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2376/5801520070_3628dbbf85_o.jpg

steveoz
09-18-2012, 12:00 AM
I've got a set of those Challenge Parigi Roubaix tires but after 3 flats on ONE (only 40-mile) ride I took them off and put them back in my bike closet. If anyone wants to try them for him or herself--they will be free but for the cost of shipping. Frankly, I didn't notice if the ride was more supple or anything because I kept discovering I was bumping along on my rim. :mad: I moved on to Pasela Tour Guards and Riv Roly Poly's. Never had a flat on either and I LOVE the Roly Poly's, they ride very smoothly. They are also 700 x 27 on most rims. Is that deal open to newbies?:hello:

professerr
09-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Parigi-Rouboix won't fit, but I've tried a few of the latest and greatest plush rides. In order of overall personal preference (best to worst):

Vittoria Open Corsa 25mm. Measure a bit wider than 25. By far my favorite ride. Compliant, damped ride, even at higher pressures. Closest I've experienced to a high quality tubular, and better than some so-so tubulars. I use latex tubes. 23mm is also quite fine. Buy them from Ribble for under $40 (last purchase was $35 each).

Schwable Ultremo ZX 28mm. Measure just a hair under 28. Lots of volume, so good for crappy pavement, but I think the narrower Vittorias actually ride better -- more supple and damped. But still these are just awesomely big. Fellow riders will hate your wheel, as you blithely disregard all but the worst road imperfections. The 25mm version is much narrower than the 3mm difference in specification would suggest, and the loss of volume really affects the ride -- too much for me to recommend. Also the Schwable ride deteriorates more quickly Vittorias as air pressure increases, but with 28mm to play with, who cares. The Ultremos also feel like they are very fast rolling, but who knows if they really are.

Ruffy Tuffys. Not plush, but anyway, about the same volume as Vittoria 25mm I believe. Hard ride compared to the Vittorias and Schwalbes, but their total bulletproofness and durability make these my favorite for the nasty roads with sharp things lurking. I've never, ever flatted these and they last forever. But too hard riding everyday, IMO. One day I'll try Rolly Polly's which might have a bettr plush/protection ratio.

Gran Bois Blue. Measure around 26mm I believe. I really wanted to like these but didn't. They do feel very flexible and supple, but more in a squishy way than the damped, compliant feel of the Vittorias. The profile is not round either (more hyperbolic shaped), which seemed to make them turn in more quickly and perhaps feel squirrely-er. They are so popular with the cognescenti, that I thought all this might be in my head, but after two rides I took them off and will ebay them eventually. Not for me.

All tires were on a skinny tubed, old steel racing frames. Usually latex tubes, 90-105 lbs pressure. Wheels are Dura-Ace C-24s or 28/32 handbuilts on either DT Swiss RR465 or Mavic Open Pro rims.

merckx
09-18-2012, 02:58 PM
I was also underwhelmed with the Grand Bois Cerf 26 "blue" tires until I increased the pressure. I first had them mounted to HED C2 rims at 85 psi rear and 78ish front. They felt pretty slow particularly climbing out of the saddle. I had to really work to keep my usual average speed pegged on a 60 km loop I do. Today i decided to increase the pressure to 100 psi rear and 95 psi front. What a difference. I did a shorter loop of 40 km with them today, but they felt faster. I know, subjective, but it was a revelation. Surprisingly, they also felt very damp on the broken pavement. I love going full gas on **** pavement and feel in control. These tires allowed me to do it.

cachagua
09-18-2012, 11:26 PM
The other big tire I've heard good things about is the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX in 28C size. Anyone had a chance to compare them to the PRs?

Just read the rest of the thread. Feeling dumb now. Thanks, those of you who posted about the XZs!

choke
09-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Plus they are black on black...not a fan of the tan sidewall trend, yuk.Hmmm....I must have missed that trend. It's nearly impossible to find a nice riding and (at least semi) flat resistant tire with a skinwall in a 25 or 28 and I've definitely been looking.