PDA

View Full Version : I am wondering....

Sandy
10-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Why is a cross bike called a cross bike? Is it upset? Angry? Really, what is the origin?

Not so cross,

Sandy

shinomaster
10-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Well Sandy, that is an excellent question. My cross bike is cross because it is an inferior Taiwanese made, Japanese branded piece of Junk (no offense to all you JApanese or TAiwanese). But Really it is no Serotta, or Sachs, or VAnilla or PEgoretti, Or Surly (ha ha).
CRoss is short for cyclo-cross. Americans are lazy so we give everything and everyone a nick name.

Sandy
10-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Well Sandy, that is an excellent question. My cross bike is cross because it is an inferior Taiwanese made, Japanese branded piece of Junk (no offense to all you JApanese or TAiwanese). But Really it is no Serotta, or Sachs, or VAnilla or PEgoretti, Or Surly (ha ha).
CRoss is short for cyclo-cross. Americans are lazy so we give everything and everyone a nick name.

Sort of like Shino for Shinomaster.

Thanks.

Sandy

shinomaster
10-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Or Sandy for Sandford. Or Calfee Kevan for Kevan. Oh wait that is longer.

Brian Smith
10-04-2005, 09:11 PM
'Cross, as in Cyclocross. Mixed media. Interactive. Mad as hell that people though they needed mountain bikes to ride around slow for an hour or less and blow sky high and fall down sloppy on a little bit of dirt. 'Cross. Wait, that was out loud.

"I love mountain bikes."

Here, I'll prove it:

If I didn't like mtn. bikes, would I repair this roof-rack-damaged Grove-X frame given to me that is not even my size?

Serpico
10-04-2005, 09:28 PM
cross interests me, but I'm not interested in racing per se

are there cross events that are like centuries or some kind of light trail riding?

probably a lame question, whatever

mtbs are cool, but 35lb bikes with front & rear suspension and all that are simply too complex for my tastes, 29'er hardtail is nice

cross bikes seem like a good compromise between speed and durability, but I only hear about "cross racing"

riding light trails with some road cyclists through the woods would be a blast

Ginger
10-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Riding light trails on road bikes *is* a blast!

I used to make sure I took my skinny tired bike on a trail once a year...my Kirk sees more action than that.

:)

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2005, 09:35 PM
That is one UGLY lookin’ hunk o’ flux you have there. Sure hope it looks better than that after you get it painted! ;)

BBDave

Brian Smith
10-04-2005, 10:37 PM
That is one UGLY lookin’ hunk o’ flux you have there. Sure hope it looks better than that after you get it painted! ;)

BBDave

ha.
buncha brass used to fill up a mudcatcher oval bridge abutting the seat tube.
flux not soaked off yet, good eye.
it still hasn't been!

shinomaster
10-04-2005, 11:06 PM
'Cross, as in Cyclocross. Mixed media. Interactive. Mad as hell that people though they needed mountain bikes to ride around slow for an hour or less and blow sky high and fall down sloppy on a little bit of dirt. 'Cross. Wait, that was out loud.

"I love mountain bikes."

Here, I'll prove it:

If I didn't like mtn. bikes, would I repair this roof-rack-damaged Grove-X frame given to me that is not even my size?

Brian...are you cross? Or Upset?