PDA

View Full Version : 1" fork Columbus Minimal?

phcollard
09-15-2012, 08:47 AM
I decided to upgrade the F-1 on my '99 Colorado Ti with a new fork mainly to be able to run tires bigger than 23mm.

The only choices new as far as I can tell is the Columbus Minimal (carbon steerer) or the Ritchey Comp (alloy steerer).

Is there a fellow forumite who can share his experience with the 1" Columbus Minimal? Is it strong, stable, no shimmy, tracks well? I wouldn't change the F-1 if it wasn't for bigger tires. This is a phenomenal fork and I expect the replacement to be at least as good.

nighthawk
09-15-2012, 09:03 AM
I've got the columbus minimal incoming for my Moots... Not arrived, so nothing to report yet. It's coming from forum member Jimsantos (http://forums.thepaceline.net/member.php?u=34138), so you maybe could ask him about his experience.

Black Dog
09-15-2012, 01:15 PM
You may be able to find a Reynolds Ouzo comp with a 1 inch steerer out there as NOS or used. Great fork.

phcollard
09-15-2012, 01:16 PM
I've got the columbus minimal incoming for my Moots... Not arrived, so nothing to report yet. It's coming from forum member Jimsantos (http://forums.thepaceline.net/member.php?u=34138), so you maybe could ask him about his experience.

Ha so it was you! I wanted to purchase the fork from Jim but I arrived too late :)

phcollard
09-15-2012, 01:17 PM
You may be able to find a Reynolds Ouzo comp with a 1 inch steerer out there as NOS or used. Great fork.

I have tried to locate one but no luck...

carlucci1106
09-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Cause it gave me the replace the F1 itch too.

But there is an Ouzo pro 1" carbon steerer that is very short steerer on sale on Ebay for $199. Really if you're gonna upgrade the F1, go for full carbon, and save some serious weight.

If I had the dough, I would prob. buy it, and wait for 1" Ti stem to come along and get the Chris King conversion from the 2-nut to NoThreadset, which only costs 39 bucks. So believe me, it's mighty tempting for me.
If this fork fits, get it and give me a report :fight:

bobswire
09-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I really really like the Ritchey 1" I installed on the Prodigy. BTW it's 43mm rake.

http://i50.tinypic.com/29y0ff5.jpg

phcollard
09-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Cause it gave me the replace the F1 itch too.

But there is an Ouzo pro 1" carbon steerer that is very short steerer on sale on Ebay for $199. Really if you're gonna upgrade the F1, go for full carbon, and save some serious weight.

If I had the dough, I would prob. buy it, and wait for 1" Ti stem to come along and get the Chris King conversion from the 2-nut to NoThreadset, which only costs 39 bucks. So believe me, it's mighty tempting for me.
If this fork fits, get it and give me a report :fight:

I have seen that Ouzo but the steerer is too short. Thanks for the headsup though!

I already ordered the CK conversion set :) and I have a Ritchey WCS stem - very light - that matches my WCS 25.8mm bars so I only have to get the fork now and I'm all set.

I guess I'm leaning towards the Columbus fork as you said why not save weight at the same time. For sure I will report! I'm still thinking a bit because I'm concerned about a 1" carbon steerer safety?

phcollard
09-15-2012, 02:00 PM
I really really like the Ritchey 1" I installed on the Prodigy. BTW it's 43mm rake.

Hey Bob I really love the look of your Prodigy. Pictures of it came up quite often while I was googling for that Comp fork last week and I never got tired of looking at them :)

nighthawk
09-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Ha so it was you! I wanted to purchase the fork from Jim but I arrived too late :)

Sorry, bud. I'll let you know how it goes, once I receive it. I'm guilty of purchasing it on aesthetics (and I needed a 45mm rake)..
..so I'm anxiously awaiting some reports about ride quality and handling.

phcollard
09-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Sorry, bud. I'll let you know how it goes, once I receive it. I'm guilty of purchasing it on aesthetics (and I needed a 45mm rake)..
..so I'm anxiously awaiting some reports about ride quality and handling.

No prob. I know what you mean it's a beautiful fork. I like the dove too!

Please report about the ride as you will most likely have that fork installed before me!

Cheers :beer:

nighthawk
09-15-2012, 02:13 PM
No prob. I know what you mean it's a beautiful fork. I like the dove too!

Please report about the ride as you will most likely have that fork installed before me!

Cheers :beer:

Actually, I'm not sure about that. I'm about to pack up the Moots to send off to CO for a fresh beadblast and new headbadge.

Race ya?!
:bike:

phcollard
09-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Actually, I'm not sure about that. I'm about to pack up the Moots to send off to CO for a fresh beadblast and new headbadge.

Race ya?!
:bike:

Please post pics of the final build!

I heard Moots are fast at whatever you ask them ;)

nighthawk
09-15-2012, 02:27 PM
I definitely will post pics. There's still some bits I'll need to acquire in the meantime. The people at Moots were super courteous when I spoke with them to work out the details... so I imagine they are pretty committed to customer service. I'm in no rush though.

Getting back on topic, did you get any info on how large a tire the minimal will accommodate? I assume 25mm will be no problem... and that's probably as large as I'm going to go.

phcollard
09-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Getting back on topic, did you get any info on how large a tire the minimal will accommodate? I assume 25mm will be no problem... and that's probably as large as I'm going to go.

Jim told me that the fork clears 28mm tires :banana:

nighthawk
09-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Sweet. I like options!

phcollard
10-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Hey guys,

I thought I would give you a quick report. The fork rides great, tracks well and soaks a bit of road buzz but honestly if it wasn't for the tire clearance and 290g less weight it's not much of an improvement over the venerable F-1 fork. I thought I would sell mine but I'll keep it, you never know.

The 1" carbon steerer still scares me a bit but I think I'll get used to it when I see it does not break under me after a few rides :)

Cheers,

Philippe.

PS: it looks great though.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3032014/minimal.jpg

nighthawk
10-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Philippe, which expander are you using?

phcollard
10-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Philippe, which expander are you using?

There was one supplied with the fork. It's a Columbus I think.

nighthawk
10-02-2012, 03:55 PM
There was one supplied with the fork. It's a Columbus I think.

hmmm. thanks. Mine has an FSA for now.. I wasn't sure what other options might be out there.

phcollard
10-02-2012, 04:08 PM
hmmm. thanks. Mine has an FSA for now.. I wasn't sure what other options might be out there.

I saw a Reynolds on eBay last week too.

jimbolina
10-02-2012, 04:20 PM
I decided to upgrade the F-1 on my '99 Colorado Ti with a new fork mainly to be able to run tires bigger than 23mm.

The only choices new as far as I can tell is the Columbus Minimal (carbon steerer) or the Ritchey Comp (alloy steerer).

Is there a fellow forumite who can share his experience with the 1" Columbus Minimal? Is it strong, stable, no shimmy, tracks well? I wouldn't change the F-1 if it wasn't for bigger tires. This is a phenomenal fork and I expect the replacement to be at least as good.

Why aren't folks suspicious of carbon steerers, like they are of aluminum forks with steel steerers (like the old Vitus forks? I'm sure both are bonded assembly.

Just wondering...

nighthawk
10-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Hey guys,

I thought I would give you a quick report. The fork rides great, tracks well and soaks a bit of road buzz but honestly if it wasn't for the tire clearance and 290g less weight it's not much of an improvement over the venerable F-1 fork. I thought I would sell mine but I'll keep it, you never know.

The 1" carbon steerer still scares me a bit but I think I'll get used to it when I see it does not break under me after a few rides :)

Cheers,

Philippe.

PS: it looks great though.

Almost 300g and better tire options? Those are big improvements in my book. Well.. atleast having the tire options. How much more clearance do you have? 28s gonna fit?

phcollard
10-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Almost 300g and better tire options? Those are big improvements in my book. Well.. atleast having the tire options. How much more clearance do you have? 28s gonna fit?

Yes 28s fit fine! No problem.

I hear you that's already something and the weight saving too. What I wanted to say is that the riding quality isn't much improved. The old F-1 still rocks :)

Waldo
10-02-2012, 05:57 PM
I am late to this party, but I like Colnago Street fork. Goes well with my 'nago Monotitan.

http://totalcycling.com/a-z/forks_road/FK_STREET.html

DRZRM
10-02-2012, 07:16 PM
No point but showing off I guess, I lucked into Gothards 1" F-3 for my old Legend. Love it! Not sure if I'd pay retail, but I can't recommend this fork enough. Solid as the F-1. I went with a Thomson adapter and a Moots.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/drzrm/2012-08-27100319.jpg

Chousen One
10-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Why aren't folks suspicious of carbon steerers, like they are of aluminum forks with steel steerers (like the old Vitus forks? I'm sure both are bonded assembly.

Just wondering...

tech has come a long way since the old death forks

TopQuark
10-17-2012, 10:48 PM
To anyone looking for a Minimal, they are on sale at Wiggles and in stock right now.

l33boy
11-28-2012, 01:32 AM
tech has come a long way since the old death forks

Hi guy's, looking for some feedback please as I have a set of the minimals and they have some unnerving characteristics...
They vibrate at a certain level of braking like they get into a natural frequency oscillation. More of a worry is the 'shimmy' and twist I got the other day under heavy braking... scared the hell out of me to be honest :eek:
Anyone else found them to be a little too flexible?

Rada
11-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi guy's, looking for some feedback please as I have a set of the minimals and they have some unnerving characteristics...
They vibrate at a certain level of braking like they get into a natural frequency oscillation. More of a worry is the 'shimmy' and twist I got the other day under heavy braking... scared the hell out of me to be honest :eek:

A buddy of mine has one mounted on an older Serotta and has said the same thing. I have used the Columbus Muscle and have never had any problems with it. Unfortuantly Columbus nolonger makes a 1" version. My personal favorite is the Ouzo Pro. The Kestrel EMS Pro is a bit heavier using a steel steerer, but have found it a really good choice. For threaded 1' forks the Time Equipe Pro is really decent fork.

cachagua
11-28-2012, 10:19 AM
EVERYbody's upgrading! Does this mean gently-used F1s will be going for a song?

[licks chops]

bfd
11-28-2012, 02:44 PM

This is interesting as I've had the opposite results. I recently purchased a 1" Columbus Minimal fork and love it. It is light, solid and carves the road. I can ride it no-handed and on downhill twisties find it very comforting. In fact, I think its better than my Easton ec90sl and was thinking of selling that one to fund another!

On the other hand, I had a steel frameset with canti brakes that squealed and shudder like hell! It had suntour xc pro canti brakes and besides all the brake noise and "shimmy," it caused my ergo levers to be soft. Swapped out the front brake with a cheapie Tektro mini-v brake and it was like night and day! No more squeal, shudder and the brake levers were nice and solid feeling. Will never go back to cantis! You don't say what kind of brake you're using, but maybe you should try another brake on your bike. Good Luck! :eek::banana::confused::butt:

Netdewt
07-10-2014, 02:17 PM
I know this is old. Are you still riding the Minimal?

bfd
07-10-2014, 03:11 PM

Yes! I ride this fork almost everyday as it is on my litespeed commuter. Great fork that just "disappears" under me. I would get another! Good Luck! :)
:banana::bike::butt::eek:

thirdgenbird
07-10-2014, 03:13 PM

I saw this thread and was going to text it to you. Now I see the is no need.