09-14-2012, 05:23 AM
thanks so much

dancinkozmo
09-14-2012, 07:47 AM
...that was pretty cool...thanks !

Steve in SLO
09-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Very cool video. Thanks.
GuyGadois and I got a chance to talk to TR for about 10 minutes at NAHBS last year. He's a really nice guy, and it made me feel good to support his products.
He told us about his being arrested near Yosemite for riding his bike on a trail in the early days because even though there was no law against it, the rangers knew it was wrong.

climbgdh
09-14-2012, 10:12 AM
thanks for posting!!! i really enjoyed that video. Love my Ritchey bars, stems, etc.

roguedog
09-14-2012, 10:58 AM
that was really interesting. thanks for the post.

wow. just being able to see that smile at the end is worth it. smile says it all to me. how many times have we had the same smile at the top of climb or at the end of a ride? also, that's the smile of a man who's lived a great life and who can sleep at night. awesome. thanks again.

phcollard
09-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Lots of things I did not know about Tom Ritchey. Thanks for posting!

Looks like he was born to build bikes and components. Amazing how things seem to line up naturally when it's your destiny (OK with a lot of hard work too).

Love my Ritchey stuff even more now :)

maxdog
09-14-2012, 12:18 PM
18 minutes well spent.

Hindmost
09-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Love the historical stuff. I did some of those early races and Jobst rides. I found Tom was pretty intimidating; he was so good on the bike and just so focused--you can see in some of the old photos. He did save me on one ride though, offering me his left over cottage cheese and canned peaches at the lunch stop.

XC_racing
09-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Nice video to enjoy before my morning ride, thank you.:)

But why did the film maker have to subtitle what Tom Ritchey was saying?

Can't wait to get the new Ritchey Logic road frame coming out soon.

mvrider
09-14-2012, 02:46 PM
But why did the film maker have to subtitle what Tom Ritchey was saying?

Especially "Chinelli"

monkeybanana86
09-14-2012, 10:00 PM
thanks for posting this. nice history lesson for me and put me in the mood to hit a trail on my ride today.

bluesea
09-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks. That reminds me of the road bikes with road tires I'd seen on off-road and mountain trails in the Bay Area.

monkeybanana86
09-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks. That reminds me of the road bikes with road tires I'd seen on off-road and mountain trails in the Bay Area.

I really want a mountain bike but I hate the idea of riding it on pavement but more critical is that I don't have room for one!

Michael_S
09-15-2012, 03:55 PM
I never realized how big a player he was in those early days of MTB frames. Kinda cool about the "woodsies" too. Who knows, we could have been riding 650B bikes all this time.
I raced in the amateur Sport class in the '89 World Championship race at Mammoth.It was a fun course. Later I saw Myrah win the Pro race. Mountain bike racing was a blast in those days with rigid bikes. I would have loved to owned a Ritchey back then.

mike

FlashUNC
09-15-2012, 04:52 PM
True legend. His company is still cranking out great stuff too. Ritchey's WCS 260 stems are awesome.

Ray
09-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Great video - thanks. Glad to see Tom is still riding with bar-ends too - they seem to have gone out of fashion but I always thought they were really helpful on tough climbs. Now I only have 'em on my Brompton (haven't had an mtb for a few years now), but I still think they make sense.

-Ray

William
09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Thank you for posting!:cool:

Added to the video page...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=115890

William

fogrider
09-15-2012, 09:50 PM
I had an old ritchey stem that I over torqued and cracked where I could not see it and rode it for 5 years without a problem.

Ray
09-16-2012, 07:22 AM
I had an old ritchey stem that I over torqued and cracked where I could not see it and rode it for 5 years without a problem.

I had a Ritchey crank that snapped on me in the middle of a ride - if it had happened about 100 pedal strokes sooner than it did, I very likely wouldn't be here to tell the story. They sent me a replacement and then recalled the crank a few months later. I was not alone in that experience. Nobody's perfect - now I check my gear a lot more carefully. I still think Tom's pretty cool though.

-Ray

oldpotatoe
09-16-2012, 08:40 AM
True legend. His company is still cranking out great stuff too. Ritchey's WCS 260 stems are awesome.

Except kinda a PITA to get onto flat top handlebars, even their own. No more just face plate off, hbar in, face plate back on. Gotta turn the hbar around, install down the bar, rotate, slide in, even carefully sometimes scratches the bar...

Liked the 'older' faceplate much more plus the wee 3mm aluminum bolts scream, 'strip me'...

charliedid
09-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for that.

Now why did I sell my P-21 Team?

Finest riding bike I have ever had...