moots7
09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Any thoughts on this bike, I am interested in it, worried it may
be too much of a racing bike for my 57 year old body. He will take $3K which
seems fair?

http://westslope.craigslist.org/bik/3224234577.html

atl001
09-13-2012, 12:25 PM
I was considering one a couple years ago. Check the geometry, IIRC the headtube is on the long side and not that "racey", may be just the ticket for you. Also takes wider tires (28 I think), good for comfort.

eippo1
09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
yup, the whole point to the bike was to not be racey. It is meant to a practical carbon road bike with solid handling so that GF could "scream downhill really fast and have no worries about the handling." It has a higher head tube, longer wheelbase and even can take fenders and wide tires.

And that quote is exactly what he told me when he came to visit our shop.

Also, that is a great price for a bike with some great parts on it. Get it. I think the quick popularity (only offered for a couple years) of the bike inspired Trek to create the Domane.

Vientomas
09-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Looks like those wheels are the aluminum rim with carbon fairing version, not a true carbon rim. Nice wheels none the less.

mistermo
09-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I'd more or less echo what the others have said. I've never ridden one, but my buddy has one, the first of the Treks once they discontinued the Fisher line. If you go to youtube, you can search for Trek Cronus Ultimate and find a review.

Yes, the head tube is taller, which is a good thing. Yes, it is fenderable. IIRC, it required a special size BB adapter. I noticed the tubes were really fat and thin. Maybe I've not been around enough carbon bikes, but I couldn't get past that. We experimented once with his and were able to fit Vittoria XN tires (700x32) in his bike without any difficulty. It has a taller than usual (for a road bike) axle to crown.

But...
He came out here for D2R2 and rode it with Michelin GP 28s (that actually measure as 26s). Somewhere along the way, maybe when he fell over on a super steep grade, he damaged the left stay. Totally cracked. Frame is toast.

For their versatility, I was really psyched about these frames/bikes until that happened, and was reminded why I ride alloy bikes.

If I were getting a carbon bike, a Cronus would be towards the top of my list. But beware the fragility. Ive known of two people to have these and both were broken.

John H.
09-13-2012, 04:01 PM
If it fits you and the condition is good it is a really good bike.
It uses the sam high end carbon as the nicer Treks (maybe not as nice as a 6.9 SSL- but nice).
Also it shares many of the same features as the Trek Domane (without the suspension in the seat tube). It has hidden fenders mounts that allow you to run fenders.
Maybe offer a bit less than that. I saw a brand new one on Ebay for like $3500.
Do a search on Cronus Ultimate on Ebay and see what people are asking- then pull up completed auctions on the same.

Keith A
09-13-2012, 05:13 PM
I've got a riding pal that has one and likes it quite well. However, these are no longer in production and I think the resale on them is going to be on the low end. Here's a frameset that went for $310 plus shipping on eBay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-Gary-Fisher-Cronus-Ultimate-Full-Carbon-Frame-and-Brand-NEW-uncut-FORK-/110944755744?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item19d4d2a020#ht_500wt_1182

mhespenheide
09-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Just an opinion, but the price seems quite high. The wheels do appear to be carbon/aluminum. I can't really tell what the parts are, though. The biggest strike against the price to me, though, is the "custom paint". I don't want to pay for someone else's custom paint unless the quality is up there with Joe Bell, et. al, and I like the aesthetics of the paint job. If hte paint job was the level of a Baum or Seven or Vanilla or Kirk, that would be one thing...

Secondarily, most people are way too optimistic about the resale value of their used carbon fiber bike. The truly-high-end builders like Crumpton, Parlee, etc., or a Venge or Dogma, etc. are commanding high prices on eBay. The rest are not. It appears that handmade steel and titanium depreciate a lot less than mid-level carbon bikes. I don't know if that's fair, but it's the read on the market that I get. I know there's many things wrong with eBay, but I think it's the fairest/most transparent evaluation available of what something is actually worth.

Of course, anyone on CL is entitled to ask for whatever price they want to.

reggiebaseball
09-13-2012, 07:02 PM
I would not buy that bicycle at that price.

First, those frames pop up around $400-700 all the time, people seem to get factory replacements all the time to sell.

The SRAM components are fine, but not my cup of tea at all.

The wheels are ok, but I doubt you need deep aero wheels, also, the factory wheels that come with the cronos can use wider front hubs with bigger flanges or some such, they contribute to the front end stiffness.

OVerall it has a really stiff bottom bracket, it is a fine bike, but it is some other guy's $5k dream bike, with the depreciation of not being new (50%), then kick in the carbon frames can be damaged more easily in ways you cannot perceive than steel 2nd hand discount (10%).... custom paint mumbo jumbo discount (5%)

It seems like a good deal for $2000
IF THIS WAS THE BIKE YOU HAVE BEEN DREAMING OF ALL ALONG.

But if you want a nice bike for $3k, I can spec one off the classifieds on this board that would stomp the Fisher.

moots7
09-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the input...I am going to pass on the bike...kinda leary of carbon anyway, most of my bikes are Ti...Sram not my favorite....was going to more of a training bike...guess I will stick with my IF Ti Club Racer.

Thanks Again for the wisdom

Fixed
09-13-2012, 10:28 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1203833&postcount=27
I would give this serious consideration ,thought of by many as the top carbon bike being made now .
Cheers

dr50470
09-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Just another opinion. Built up this frame last year (campy), and have put about 2500 miles on it. Super ride, quick and responsive and not as tiring as my race elium (cf/titanium). The one shown is actually the colors that GF produced. Agree with others, look for a frame and build up your own. If you do and you prefer campy, you will have a problem with the BB cups that trek sells to accomodate the campy BB.

moots7
09-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Yeah I have looked at the Crumpton several times, seems like a very long seat tube
top tube is good.
I also have a Seven elium race, which I will probably keep a long time.
Real nice well built frame.

reggiebaseball
09-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Are you seriously passing up a crumpton and considering a Gary Fisher? :eek:

All that matters is the top tube, run a short seat post!
Done.

Crumpton for rainy day bike, sheesh!

Nobody should talk to you until you buy that frame, or you decide to stick with just the bazillion awesome bikes you have!