PDA

View Full Version : 2 bikes or 1 ?

Fixed
10-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Bro I have two road bikes one for trainin on and one for fast group/race rides. Here is the thing I train 4 times a week then fast /race ride 2 times a week I am feelin better on my trainin bike. should I forget havin 2 bikes and just train and race on the same bike?They set up the same except cranks lenght and seatpost setback I used what I had on hand for the trainin bike. cheers :beer:

Argos
10-04-2005, 03:17 PM
keep two and adjust your race bike to the more comfortable position. When you get the clams, swap the cranks, too. :beer:

sn69
10-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Do you get enjoyment from riding both, albeit for different reasons? If so, keep them, and continue to enjoy them for what they provide.....

Sandy
10-04-2005, 03:22 PM
I would ride the one that I enjoyed riding the most. I have 2 bikes- CSi and an Ottrott. I enjoy riding the Ottrott the best. My CSi is now a dust magnet. If I wasn't scared of trying a fixee, I would either sell the CSi or make it into a fixed gear bike.

Ride what you enjoy riding the most.

I would change the race bike as Argos suggested.

Sandy

Fixed
10-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Hey bro I always ride with 165's at work so I had a pair I put on the trainin bike but at 6'? My race bike has 172's which is more like I should be ridin? but sprintin on those 165's is pretty fun. cheers :beer:

CNY rider
10-04-2005, 03:25 PM
I have a serious bike collecting problem.

My initial reaction was, "Buy a third one, then (maybe) sell the one you like least and keep the other two!" :beer:

You should listen to the advice in the other, sane postings above.

IFRider
10-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Like others have said, spend some coin to set both up the same so you are comfortable on both. Even if you mix the use of them between race/train it is nice to have a backup bike. I have two vitrually identical rides (Old Waterford paramount and Waterford RS-22). I leave the Paramount at work for lunch rides, or leave on trainer or ride when the RS-22 needs maintenance and I have not gotten to it. I would not get rid of it as there is virtually no money in used bikes an it is damn convienent to have it around. Hell someday, I might turn it into a fixee.

Warren

Fixed
bro I feel like I am saving my good bike but I gettin used to b bike from ridin it so much.I like the a bike the best I just don't ride it as much . cheers :beer:

Sandy
Few totally sane posters on this forum, and even fewer sane posts. :) :)

Postmaster Sandy

chrisroph
10-04-2005, 03:44 PM
The more tha merrier. You just can't have too many bikes. Some of here are sick and I'm happy to say many are a lot worse than me.

Big Dan
10-04-2005, 03:45 PM
get a couple more. need to make sure you have the right one....

:cool:

Dekonick
10-04-2005, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=Sandy]I would ride the one that I enjoyed riding the most. I have 2 bikes- CSi and an Ottrott. I enjoy riding the Ottrott the best. My CSi is now a dust magnet. If I wasn't scared of trying a fixee, I would either sell the CSi or make it into a fixed gear bike.

Sandy - try going fixed - it really is not hard to do.

spiderman
10-04-2005, 04:36 PM
one bike for every day of the week:
monday: ottrott st fast rides
tuesday: csi for smooth joy ride
wednesday: terraplane for offroad cross
thursday: cxII for time trials
friday: fixed gear for spinning
saturday: meivici for that carbon century
sunday: i'd better work a rest day in there somewhere
or ride my lemond revmaster for a change of pace!

dave thompson
10-04-2005, 04:40 PM
The more tha merrier. You just can't have too many bikes. Some of here are sick and I'm happy to say many are a lot worse than me.
There is no such thing as too many bikes!

Brian Smith
10-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Bro I have two road bikes one for trainin on and one for fast group/race rides. Here is the thing I train 4 times a week then fast /race ride 2 times a week I am feelin better on my trainin bike. should I forget havin 2 bikes and just train and race on the same bike?They set up the same except cranks lenght and seatpost setback I used what I had on hand for the trainin bike. cheers :beer:

Fixed -
I think you are in touch with your training bike and the way that you ride. Unless the 2 bikes have very similar frames and wheels to begin with, I don't think you'll ever make them really feel similar at fast pace or racing. I say that if you want to keep one especially nice, the way to have 2 bikes is to have 2 of the SAME bike. What's more valuable in a race: saving a bit of weight, saving a bit of drag, or knowing exactly what the bike is going to do when you give it input, and knowing how much input you can give it? I say when you are finishing every race and people agree that your tactical choice couldn't have been better but you just barely get outgunned on that last climb, or last sprint, then you're probably wrong, but try some more racy equipment. Until then, race day equipment ought to be just about exactly the same as the training equipment.
I'm assuming this is all about road racing bikes.
For the track, maybe there should be a little bit more leeway for racy stuff.
I say all this to you because I think you would agree that the best thing to do to prepare for racing is not buying this or that, but to train and ride.
Also I am not trying to talk you out of having a second bike, everyone who knows me knows I have too many more than 2, but unless you're talking a TT, having a "race" bike that you don't ride the rest of the week is.....not what I'd recommend.

Fixed
10-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Thanks Mr. Smith bro you are one hip cat thanks again for your time and the other dudes who shared their thoughts with me. it helped a lot Cheers :beer:

deechee
10-05-2005, 09:22 AM
keep both. I regret the day I started feeling like you, and started riding my Serotta to commute to work. (Instead of my 100$nashbar frame) I got t-boned and the Serotta got trashed. sigh... now I have to play the agonizing waiting game ....

Tom
10-05-2005, 10:10 AM
If you need one you need two in case the first one breaks.

Keep them both. Ride them both in good health.