PDA

View Full Version : Need Classified Advice

g00dride
09-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Hi guys,

I need your advice on how to handle a transaction with another member here on the forum.

I found someone offering a couple components I need for around $300. The seller said that he wouldn't accept Paypal, and preferred a personal check or money order.

Normally, the klaxon would sound, and I'd end the conversation right then and there. But I had researched this user already. He is and has been an active forum member for over a year and has a couple good transaction reviews.

I decided to mail him the check and for his part he said he would ship the goods shortly (Sept 4th). Enough time has passed since shipping that it's becoming more and more unlikely I'll receive anything in the mail.

I've called and left a message with the buyer to try and figure the situation out. There's no tracking information and the seller didn't insure the package. The seller's already cashed my check.

I feel incredibly stupid for going against my better judgement and paying via check for everyone's protection. I'm fairly new to the forum, but I've already notched a couple buys with other members here.

If the shipment is lost, what's the reasonable thing to do? I'm wondering what you guys would do.

Thanks,

Dave

Louis
09-12-2012, 10:32 PM
1) USPS Parcel post (if that's what was used) sometimes takes a loooong time.

2) Are you still in communication with the seller? If so, that's a good sign. If not, are they on travel and not able to reply?

DRZRM
09-12-2012, 10:33 PM
It's just 8 days. Stuff gets shipped without tracking all the time. Give it a few days, I bet it turns up.

thegunner
09-12-2012, 10:36 PM
USPS once routed wheels from NYC -> Oklahoma -> Boston via Parcel. It took 3.5 weeks. If the guy seems reputable from past interactions/posts -- i'd give it a few days.

esldude
09-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Don't know if this could be the case. But it happened to me, twice.

Agreed to purchase from a forum member with good rep. Didn't notice they were in Europe. Don't know how they manage shipping at anything approaching reasonable rates to the USA. But in any case, it took a few days, but the stuff arrived as promised. In as good a condition as promised if not better.

Now these two gentlemen did respond to emails, with a small delay due to time difference. So hopefully the guy will respond to you. Do you know if they were outside the USA?

Otherwise, if you know where they are, there might be forum members near them who could contact in person and ask what is up?

slidey
09-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Glad you're a new member, 'cause almost everyone else here knows I went batsh*t crazy sometime back on something like this, with a non-forumite though.

However, the good thing is that you're still in contact with the forumite. Hopefully, the stuff will land up sooner than later...USPS hasn't ever let me down to date, hopefully it won't you either.

G-Reg
09-12-2012, 10:57 PM
..... what's the reasonable thing to do? I'm wondering what you guys would do.

Blame it on Lance and America.

Louis
09-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Blame it on Lance and America.

There you go, bringing politics into this...

DRietz
09-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Literally, it's been a week. I recommend putting on your big boy pants and exercising some more patience before harping on the seller. FYI, I once sent DZRZM a seatpost (mind you, with delivery confirmation that never changed from "accepted at USPS San Leandro"). THREE weeks later, he, as any concerned buyer would, gave me a courtesy buzz letting me know it had yet to arrive. I went down to the local PO, talked to my district manager, ascertained that it was delayed in like flippin Minnesota, then got another message a day or so later from Zach letting me know it was there.

Back in my day, it took at least a week to get something in the mail, and the more common method of long distance communication was a phone call or *gasp* a written letter.

...and if it puts it in perspective, I was born in 1995.

...and that brings me to my last ellipse, denoting that I only accept cash, check, or money order (all very valid payment options, btw) because PayPal locked my account for being under 18 DESPITE over 500 positive feedback ratings on eBay and dozens of stellar ratings right there on PayPal. I've been scrwed out of money by lying buyers several times with PayPal, and not once have I ever had a money order/cash/check transaction go wrong.

Just sayin is all. Time for me to get back to staring at this AP physics homework. It all looks the same to me... (ohnohedin'tjustuseanotherellipse!)

Louis
09-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Just sayin is all. Time for me to get back to staring at this AP physics homework. It all looks the same to me...

I hope they have you solving the 3-D wave equation. ;)

DRietz
09-13-2012, 12:47 AM
I hope they have you solving the 3-D wave equation. ;)

I hate you for even mentioning a linear partial differential equation.

CaptStash
09-13-2012, 12:51 AM
I hate you for even mentioning a linear partial differential equation.

ewwwww!

g00dride
09-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Stinks that this is the first interaction I'm having with a lot of you guys, but I'm grateful!

The components in the sale are the very last pieces I need to complete my build. I got squirrelly when another set of gear I ordered that shipped out a day later, from twice as far away and also via USPS, arrived this past Monday.

So it's part excitement to get my build on and part USPS uncertainty.

DRietz
09-13-2012, 01:17 AM
USPS is a funny organization. Give the seller a chance and wait a bit longer. I've had severl transactions here where things went out later than expected because life got in the way.

Peter B
09-13-2012, 02:12 AM
I've had all kinds of delivery issues/delays with USPS. Give it some more time. Perhaps while you're waiting you could contact your bank, explain the situation and see if they can offer any recourse in the unlikely event the item doesn't arrive.

Clear communication in transaction negotiations is essential as either or both the dollar value and your loss tolerance goes up. I make it a point to ask the buyer if they'd like me to purchase insurance, at their cost and that they assume all risk if they opt out. I'll almost always use delivery confirmation on my dime if for no other reason than to know the route the item took to getting lost as a first step to a claim back to USPS.

And then sometimes everyone agrees insurance isn't appropriate for the happy face valve stem cap you just sold.http://forums.thepaceline.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Good luck getting your goods.

Peter B
09-13-2012, 02:13 AM
I've had all kinds of delivery issues/delays with USPS. Give it some more time. Perhaps while you're waiting you could contact your bank, explain the situation and see if they can offer any recourse in the unlikely event the item doesn't arrive.

Clear communication in transaction negotiations is essential as either the dollar value of the purchase goes up or your loss tolerance goes down. I make it a point to ask the buyer if they'd like me to purchase insurance, at their cost and that they assume all risk for a lost shipment if they opt out. I'll almost always use delivery confirmation on my dime if for no other reason than to know the route the item took to getting lost as a first step to a claim back to USPS.

And then sometimes everyone agrees insurance isn't appropriate for the happy face valve stem caps you just sold. :) :)

Good luck getting your goods.

malcolm
09-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Interesting you balk at someone not wanting to use paypal. I've bought and sold a ton of stuff here and always prefer not to use paypal for a myriad of reasons. I will do it and have an account but much prefer a check. I've only had one bad transaction here and eventually got what I paid for, but it took a couple months. I think it was mostly a scattered brain over extended seller rather than a crook.

FlashUNC
09-13-2012, 09:28 AM
I once bought a derailleur on here that never showed for a month, only to show back up on the seller's doorstep, saying my address didn't exist. Even though it clearly did. He resent it in the same box and it arrived three days later.

Crazy stuff happens with the postal service. If the seller's still talking, then I wouldn't sweat it too much.

And I wouldn't let the "No PayPaL" rule scare me off necessarily. Done plenty of transactions with folks here via check/money order, with no issues. Course, you should do your homework on anyone you're buying from, but I'd say the bad apples are a relative rarity.

slidey
09-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Oh yeah, Peter mentions delivery confirmation...which I forgot to mention altogether. It's like 80c via USPS...there's no excuse for any one to not use this simple tracking service. Next time, as a buyer make sure you insist on this tracking service.

rugbysecondrow
09-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Oh yeah, Peter mentions delivery confirmation...which I forgot to mention altogether. It's like 80c via USPS...there's no excuse for any one to not use this simple tracking service. Next time, as a buyer make sure you insist on this tracking service.

Delivery confirmation is not tracking though, and it is not very accurate and when accurate, only states that the package was delivered.

For me, if it is a cheaper item, I ship USPS. If it is a pricier one, it goes Fed Ex. Better service, better tracking.

slidey
09-13-2012, 01:48 PM
You know, that's partially true. As in, at times I've had the status just as you described i.e. delivered with no details in between, but there've been times when I've seen interim updates as well. In any case, it's more of an insurance of having a number tagged to your item in the mailing network, so you can reference it later if need be.

Delivery confirmation is not tracking though, and it is not very accurate and when accurate, only states that the package was delivered.

For me, if it is a cheaper item, I ship USPS. If it is a pricier one, it goes Fed Ex. Better service, better tracking.

biker72
09-13-2012, 03:33 PM
USPS tracking is a joke...:)
After retirement I had a number of part time shipping /receiving jobs. Even the mailman urged us to take the mail directly to the post office. The fewer hands it gets processed through the better.

Give the package a little more time. They could have routed it anywhere.

mhespenheide
09-13-2012, 07:02 PM
USPS "delivery confirmation" is indeed nothing like tracking via UPS or FedEx, but it does offer some proof that the seller sent something, and the buyer received something. So it eliminates that aspect of uncertainty, at least.

I've heard plenty of horror stories about PayPal. Has anyone used Amazon Payments?

rugbysecondrow
09-14-2012, 06:06 AM
USPS "delivery confirmation" is indeed nothing like tracking via UPS or FedEx, but it does offer some proof that the seller sent something, and the buyer received something. So it eliminates that aspect of uncertainty, at least.

I've heard plenty of horror stories about PayPal. Has anyone used Amazon Payments?

It might be piece of mind but functionally worthless. I had delivery confirmation that showed the item as delivered....it was, to the wrong address. :)

bluesea
09-14-2012, 10:46 AM
It might be piece of mind but functionally worthless. I had delivery confirmation that showed the item as delivered....it was, to the wrong address. :)

That speaks of the delivery service more than anything else.

norcalbiker
09-14-2012, 11:19 AM
I ordered 3 pair of socks and a jersey during labor day sale from "The Clymb". All items are in stock. Received and an email from the day after September 4th congratulating me for my order and said that I will receive another email once the items are shipped with tracking number. It's the 14th (10 days later) and still waiting for that email. How long does it take to put 3 pair of socks and a jersey that are in stock in a small box to ship it? By the way, I did pay for the shipping and handling.

This is the first time I bought something from "The Clymb" and it might be the last. Oh yeah I forgot to mentioned that my credit card was charged on the 4th.

I thought it might make you feel better.

g00dride
09-20-2012, 02:27 AM
Still no sign of the package.

I contacted my local post office and there's nothing they can do without tracking or delivery confirmation. The seller has been responsive and seems perplexed.

The consensus from most of you all is that I continue to wait this out before doing anything else. The thing is, I don't have a complete ride until I receive these components.

I've decided to repurchase the parts here just so I can ride.

skijoring
09-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Still no sign of the package.

I contacted my local post office and there's nothing they can do without tracking or delivery confirmation. The seller has been responsive and seems perplexed.

The consensus from most of you all is that I continue to wait this out before doing anything else. The thing is, I don't have a complete ride until I receive these components.

I've decided to repurchase the parts here just so I can ride.

I sent a couple items parcel post awhile back and they both took about a month to arrive. Lesson learned; first class USPS or Priority.

slidey
09-20-2012, 10:45 AM
I've bought stuff from Clymb a couple of times...and I agree that it's not useful ordering stuff you think you'd need in the very near future. Those prices are hard to pass up on though.

I ordered 3 pair of socks and a jersey during labor day sale from "The Clymb". All items are in stock. Received and an email from the day after September 4th congratulating me for my order and said that I will receive another email once the items are shipped with tracking number. It's the 14th (10 days later) and still waiting for that email. How long does it take to put 3 pair of socks and a jersey that are in stock in a small box to ship it? By the way, I did pay for the shipping and handling.

This is the first time I bought something from "The Clymb" and it might be the last. Oh yeah I forgot to mentioned that my credit card was charged on the 4th.

JeffS
09-20-2012, 11:03 AM

All of the items on the clymb have an estimated delivery date. It is almost always several weeks to a month out. If you're looking for quick turnaround, you're shopping at the wrong place.

choke
09-20-2012, 07:32 PM
I sent a couple items parcel post awhile back and they both took about a month to arrive. Lesson learned; first class USPS or Priority.Even that's not a guarantee. I once ordered an item from a store which is about an 8 hour drive from my house; it took 13 days to arrive and was shipped Priority.

FixedNotBroken
09-20-2012, 11:51 PM
If it's only been 5-8 days..honestly chill out. None of us are selling parts via this forum to make a living. We all have lives first off..and this place definitely isn't it. It's extremely annoying when people get upset about a part getting there in 2-3 days..LIFE HAPPENS, move on and get over it. Parcel Post sometimes takes a long TIME. Time in which we have lots of when we're on a forum BSing about bikes. When week 2-3, then maybe I'd wonder.

g00dride
09-22-2012, 01:24 AM
RE: freaking out over a couple days... yeah, that's overkill.

Newbie status + transaction factors + time (over a week or so) made things seem sketch. That said, my bad. I don't mean to annoy.

And as I close in on three weeks out from shipping with no love, I hope you're right. I hope this ends up being a big USPS endorsement.

slidey
09-22-2012, 01:58 AM
Yup, three weeks definitely puts into the major USPS screw-up with little hope of recovery category. Hope things work out though, good luck.

RE: freaking out over a couple days... yeah, that's overkill.

Newbie status + transaction factors + time (over a week or so) made things seem sketch. That said, my bad. I don't mean to annoy.

And as I close in on three weeks out from shipping with no love, I hope you're right. I hope this ends up being a big USPS endorsement.

malcolm
09-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Bummer. what is the seller saying? Didn't read through the whole thread, but what is the value?

I've bought and sold a ton of things here and never had a problem with usps, fed-ex or ups, thankfully. That said if it is of any value I always use fed-ex or ups, just for the ability to follow the package. Good luck and keep us posted.

g00dride
09-23-2012, 09:14 PM
The seller says it's a USPS issue. He returns my calls (left a VM) and responds to my messages. He seems to be a good guy.

At this point I think the shipment is a lost cause. Do you guys think it's reasonable to ask the seller for half the sale amount back? If I ever do receive the gear, I'd make full payment.

markie
09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
This situation reminds me why as a buyer I prefer to use paypal and as a seller I like to keep the receipt from USPS and get delivery confirmation.

I have sold stuff that has not arrived within a couple of weeks. If the buyer is antsy I return their money (only for them to normally paypal me back the same day or the next day when the item turns up). Then not all sellers are equal.

bluesea
09-24-2012, 05:35 AM
The seller says it's a USPS issue. He returns my calls (left a VM) and responds to my messages. He seems to be a good guy.

At this point I think the shipment is a lost cause. Do you guys think it's reasonable to ask the seller for half the sale amount back? If I ever do receive the gear, I'd make full payment.

Nothing personal to anyone, but only retards and children send by parcel post. The difference is children learn from their mistakes. You should wait 2 months before assuming the worst.

Germany_chris
09-24-2012, 05:41 AM
Nothing personal to anyone, but only retards and children send by parcel post. The difference is children learn from their mistakes. You should wait 2 months before assuming the worst.

But for me it parcel post if it doesn't fit into a flat rate box..

I shipped a Mac Pro parcel post to AZ the 27th, the person received it on the 6th of September.

malcolm
09-24-2012, 08:56 AM

At this point I think you need to be ready to let it go. After saying that I can only speak to what I would do. If I were the seller and believed your story I would refund your money or gladly split it with you, just to maintain karma and my reputation as a seller within this forum. I would accept some if not most of the responsibility for sending usps, you save a couple bucks but you have zero verification unless sent certified return reciept and I'm not sure you can do that with a package.

I had a similar situation several years with a pkg sent to London from the US. The woman started emailing accusing me of ripping her off and making threats about turning me in to ebay for fraud etc. I explained I had no reason to trust her anymore than she me, but I promised to refund her full amount if she hadn't gotten her pkg in one month. Well the pkg was at the local post the whole time, she forgot she had been away for a period and put a hold on her mail and it came while the hold was in place. I got a msg that she had the pkg and it was fine , no apology or anything else. People act in strange ways, best to take pleasure from the loneliness of the high road and act in the manner you would prefer to be acted upon.

I often send things I sell here long before I get payment and have yet to be burned, but I do it knowing it could happen and if it does I swallow the loss and move on, confident that what goes round comes round eventually.