PDA

View Full Version : New (to me), and fantastic discovery: Bear Valley Pemmican bars!

slidey
09-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Went into the local REI to try my luck and see if I could find any of the limited flavour bars from Clif (Gary's Panforte). Unfortunately, that didn't work out but I spent close to 15 minutes just ambling around that aisle looking at different bars to suit my need, and as I was leaving this one caught my eye...only because it was absolutely lacklustre, i.e. no-frills marketing. Nutrition chart, looked great so I bought one...and I'm going to buy another dozen or so over the weekend!

http://www.mealpack.com/products/fruit_nut.html

mhespenheide
09-12-2012, 05:28 PM
They can be tasty, but fair warning -- they go stale/dry out/get crumbly a lot faster than more "modern" bars. They taste more like something baked, though, than some of the apparently-chemically-extruded versions...

Louis
09-12-2012, 05:47 PM
I put my bars (Clif) in the freezer for long-term storage, and keep a few handy in the "regular" fridge compartment for all other storage, until I take 'em out before a ride.

slidey
09-12-2012, 07:04 PM
How fast are we talking of here? I estimate consuming 20~ish bars a month. Moreover their site states that these bars stay good for 5 months from date of mfr...i'm assuming good here refers to the nutritional value/edibility though.

They can be tasty, but fair warning -- they go stale/dry out/get crumbly a lot faster than more "modern" bars. They taste more like something baked, though, than some of the apparently-chemically-extruded versions...

slidey
09-12-2012, 07:05 PM
I've never done freezer storage for clif bars, never needed to...but good to know this is an option.

I put my bars (Clif) in the freezer for long-term storage, and keep a few handy in the "regular" fridge compartment for all other storage, until I take 'em out before a ride.

bluesea
09-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Interesting, there's fat but no meat.

Louis
09-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Interesting, there's fat but no meat.

Fat does not come exclusively from animal flesh or by-products.

bluesea
09-12-2012, 08:14 PM
^ It should in Pemmican, shouldn't it? But yeah, this is the healthy version.

maxdog
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Strange that they would call it Pemmican, when it is obviously not.

mhespenheide
09-13-2012, 07:35 PM
How fast are we talking of here? I estimate consuming 20~ish bars a month. Moreover their site states that these bars stay good for 5 months from date of mfr...i'm assuming good here refers to the nutritional value/edibility though.

I start noticing a change after a month or thereabouts, and if I remember correctly, they're noticeably different in two. Now, that's still a pretty excellent shelf-life given their baked-like texture. Just don't expect them to last like powerbars, which will seemingly outlast the apocalypse...

slidey
09-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Seems like a reasonable enough shelf-life for the qty I had anticipated to keep a stock of...thanks for the info.

I start noticing a change after a month or thereabouts, and if I remember correctly, they're noticeably different in two. Now, that's still a pretty excellent shelf-life given their baked-like texture. Just don't expect them to last like powerbars, which will seemingly outlast the apocalypse...

avery1317
09-18-2012, 04:29 PM
They freeze really well. We love our retailers but if you want absolutely the freshest bars you can order by calling us or from the website, mealpack.com. It is a challenge keeping them tasty without preservatives.

PS We call some of our bars Pemmican because our research found that it was more of a term for trail or travel food. The composition varied depending on location and season so we thought it would work with our bars.

Louis
09-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Avery,

Welcome to the forum!

Tell us a bit about yourself and your products (something we won't find on the web site). :)

Louis

vqdriver
09-18-2012, 10:33 PM
It is a challenge keeping them tasty without preservatives.

That's a trade off I'm willing to make. I'll definitely keep an eye for these

Welcome to the board btw. I love love love when a company rep chimes into these threads.

awilding
09-19-2012, 10:43 AM
You guys are making me have flashbacks to backpacking with the Boy Scouts at Philmont. I think I lived on these things for two weeks. Haven't had one since then though, going on 15 yrs. Might have to give them another try.

slidey
09-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Uh-oh...things just became more complicated!

I tried their Carob-Cocoa flavour, and it tastes as good...maybe better than the Fruit n' Nut, and has lower fat cals, higher carbs grams as well. The agony of choice :banana:

tuxbailey
09-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Well, you just gave me the idea on how to use my year end bonus REI bucks that had been sitting in my house.