PDA

View Full Version : OT: Used truck

NHAero
09-11-2012, 10:02 PM
I want a small pick-up to go to the dump, go to the lumberyard, etc. No long drives, I live on Martha's Vineyard - just an occasional work truck, and we're buying a house we'll be doing some heavy renovating to over the next couple of years. Definitely don't want a full size pick-up. I've kinda fixed on finding a 10-15 year old Ford Ranger - three of them at work with good reliability (design/build firm) and lots more available than Toyotas. Hoping to spend under $3500.

Two questions:
- Reasons this is a bad choice, and therefore better options?
- Best place to get a good fix on what a used vehicle is worth?

Thanks

4Rings6Stars
09-11-2012, 10:23 PM
We had a 96 ranger that was a turd. Entire undercarriage rusted to pieces at about 115K and ten years old. It couldn't handle a full bed load of firewood either. We had better luck with our Dodge Dakota in terms of longevity and ability to haul some weight, but the Ford drivetrain was reliable and easy/cheap to maintain.

My only advice if you're getting a truck is to get one with four wheel drive. I don't even understand why they sell two wheel drive trucks in New England.

Louis
09-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Entire undercarriage rusted to pieces at about 115K and ten years old.

The same thing is happening to my sister's Ranger. Can't remember the year, but I think it's 200x.

Peter B
09-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Toyotas may be harder to find for good reason. I bought my first one new in 1983 and sold it 24 years later after 245k trouble-free miles. Maintenance only in all that time and it saw some hard daily use. Bought my second, a 4WD Tacoma, in 1998 w/ 34k. Today it's at 180k, again trouble-free, maintenance only.

I can't speak to the more recent Tacoma's but anything 2001 or so and earlier, if well-cared for, should prove reliable and up to the tasks you describe. Out west they can be had in your price range too so long a you don't expect a garage queen.

Good luck!

fourflys
09-12-2012, 12:03 AM
I've had great luck with Rangers and the 4.0 6cyl is stout... For what you pay, not sure you can go wrong...

Tandem Rider
09-12-2012, 06:05 AM
IME the most important thing is how it was maintained and how it was driven by the previous owner(s).
I have good luck with newer trucks coming off lease that were leased to a company, not an individual. Maintenance was usually done, employers name on vehicle so it was driven somewhat sensibly, usually has more scratches and dings but youj want a hauler anyway. Then you just keep it longer.
4WD will cost more to buy, fix, and maintain. Went to a company provided vehicle years ago and now have a 2wd full size PU. If the roads are so bad I need a 4WD to get around the project will wait.
Another thing to think about is bed size. A small truck can't easily carry full size sheet goods or long lumber.

AngryScientist
09-12-2012, 06:08 AM
i had an chevy s-10 for 12 years that was a good solid little runner. unfortunately it succumbed to a death of underbody rust too. in the last 5 years, it was exactly as you describe, a home depot/ lumber yard runner.

other advice: you say you dont want a full sized pick-up, but really, why not? chevy silverados and F-150s are easier to find, weight more, get better snow traction and can haul a lot more stuff. the only reason not to get one, is fuel economy, handling and space.

if you have the space, and drive the truck a few hundred miles a year, fuel economy and handling are non-issues, so maybe consider a bigger truck, it may be more useful for occasional use. consider that stuffing a fridge, or hot water heater for your new house is much easier in a full size. just a thought.

William
09-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Yeah, but those 70 series LC's run forever and can run through, over, under, and across just about anything you throw at it....but yes, not easy to find cheap.

http://www.toyotaafrica.com/images/ToyotaLandcruiser70series.jpg

Have to go with Nick on this one. Also, if you are in NE, spray the frame/undercarriage down with Fluid Film twice a year and you'll have no issues with the rust.

William

oldpotatoe
09-12-2012, 08:21 AM
I want a small pick-up to go to the dump, go to the lumberyard, etc. No long drives, I live on Martha's Vineyard - just an occasional work truck, and we're buying a house we'll be doing some heavy renovating to over the next couple of years. Definitely don't want a full size pick-up. I've kinda fixed on finding a 10-15 year old Ford Ranger - three of them at work with good reliability (design/build firm) and lots more available than Toyotas. Hoping to spend under $3500.

Two questions:

Thanks

Have a 2004 Ranger 2 wheel drive, small cab. Very reliable, 4 cyl engine, 16 valve..got it for the same reasons you did. Haul crap around.

Put 4 snow tires on it, have never gotten stuck in the admittedly, pretty mild winters in the republic. Cost $8500 brand new..only have about 30,000 miles on it, have never washed it, it's a truck...

cmg
09-12-2012, 08:57 AM
there's plenty of toyota's on craiglist http://capecod.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=toyota+truck&srchType=T&minAsk=1200&maxAsk=3500 get to looking. or try nissan, mazda trucks.

Dave B
09-12-2012, 09:02 AM
I think 4 and 6 cylinder trucks tend to have better reliability with foreign models. Toyota would be my first choice. 8 cylinder I think American brands still kick major tushy. A V8 Chevy just lasts especially before 2007.

Liv2RideHard
09-12-2012, 09:36 AM
My company trucks have all been F-150's. Never ever any problems. My current is a F-150 King Ranch Super Crew with the 5.4L V-8 and 4x4. Nice truck. MPGs...not so good at 15.5-16 no matter how I drive it.

If I had my choice though I would ask for a Taco. Love the Taco's. I have a 3rd Gen 4Runner (that I never drive) and it has been super solid. Some of my buddies have Taco's and drive the heck out of them and they never complain. Can't go wrong with one. A decent Tacoma will fetch more than most trucks out there though it will hold some of that value.

rugbysecondrow
09-12-2012, 10:05 AM

Two questions:

Thanks

I just had to make a similar decision and went with a small trailer. Cheaper (bought used for $225) less maintenance and the only ivestment which really won't be recouped is the hitch for the car. If you buy a $225 trailer, you will likely be able to sell it for the same after your work is done. Also, the trailer is lower to the ground, so maybe easier to load and unload.

I had a 1996 Ranger, nice car, but oil changes, tires, insurance, battery not starting, nothing bad just regular stuff...get a small trailer.

Free advice.

Paul

rugbysecondrow
09-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Toyotas may be harder to find for good reason. I bought my first one new in 1983 and sold it 24 years later after 245k trouble-free miles. Maintenance only in all that time and it saw some hard daily use. Bought my second, a 4WD Tacoma, in 1998 w/ 34k. Today it's at 180k, again trouble-free, maintenance only.

I can't speak to the more recent Tacoma's but anything 2001 or so and earlier, if well-cared for, should prove reliable and up to the tasks you describe. Out west they can be had in your price range too so long a you don't expect a garage queen.

Good luck!

Toyotas and 4Runners had frame rust issues, especially ones that had time spent in the North East.

Liv2RideHard
09-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Toyotas and 4Runners had frame rust issues, especially ones that had time spent in the North East.

Yes, the ones that spent many many years in the NE. Not a single spot of rust on my 3rd Gen Sport Edition Runner. It has been babied and garaged all of it's life though and was born and raised in Florida.

William
09-12-2012, 10:58 AM

True. But anyone living in the NE is going to have rust issues if they don't do their due diligence in taking care of the vehicle. My 86 Landcruiser is a DD and has been for the last five or six years. I hit that thing with Fluid Film inside and out a couple of times a year. I've got no rust issues. They run forever but they were known for the bodies rusting out from that time period if you didn't take care of them.

William

NHAero
09-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks all!