PDA

View Full Version : Cocoa Beach considers rule on harassment of cyclists, joggers

Keith A
09-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Looks like one of the towns in my area maybe trying to keep riders and runners safer...
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20120911/NEWS01/120911006/Cocoa-Beach-considers-rule-harassment-cyclists-joggers?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CHome

mike p
09-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Great first step! BTW I used to live in Merritt island and surf Sebastian inlet about 100 years ago!

Mike

Keith A
09-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Hey Mike -- I moved here to Brevard just so I could surf more. I surf anywhere from Monster Hole up to Cocoa Beach with one of my favorite spots being RC's. I've surfed SI some, but it is so competitive down there that I don't like dealing with it.

mike p
09-11-2012, 09:20 PM
I miss FL........NOT! Well I miss it a little in Jan and Feb! I haven't been on a board in many years and I do miss the ocean. I'm in the heart of the finger lakes region of NY so it's all bike and kayak for me. Have fun down there.

Mike

zennmotion
09-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Before you start feeling all warm and fuzzy about the local council, read the comments at the bottom of the article to see what they're really up against.

Keith A
09-12-2012, 08:09 AM
zennmotion -- I am happy to see a city trying to do something about the harassment that does take place from motorists towards cyclists. I can't count the number of times I've personally experienced this. However, I fully recognize the fact that there are many motorists on the road who don't think we should be there and also don't think there should be any special laws or ordinances to protect us. To put in bluntly, there are a significant number of drivers who hate cyclists (for whatever reason) and think we should never ride on the road and have no problem expressing their point of view.

joep2517
09-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I grew up in Brevard County and I never thought the area was bike friendly. But what is being considered is a step in the right direction. Over here in Orlando (riding in Lake County) this is something that ticks me off:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-09-06/news/os-mascotte-former-police-arrested-20120906_1_bicyclists-bike-riders-mascotte-police-officer

Keith A
09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
At least they are taking the actions of the driver & passenger seriously.

I would agree that Brevard County isn't the friendliest area for a cyclist...but I don't think it is any different that what it was like in Orlando when I lived there. However, things are slowly improving in the roads themselves. Although, they're not putting in many cycling lanes, they are adding shoulders the size of cycling lanes that are designed for cyclists.

BTW, I love riding in Lake County and try to get over there every now and then to ride in Clermont...gotta love Sugarloaf.

mmuurr
09-12-2012, 01:21 PM
that the community recognizes the problem is great, but it seems like many of these ideas will be near-impossible to enforce.
will cyclists have to start donning GoPros simply to record all the perps?