PDA

View Full Version : I really need to shut my mouth when ...

smead
09-11-2012, 04:10 PM
hammering flats and climbs ...

I've had more than my share of bee stings of late, but today's lunch ride was the topper. Mouth open on a climb working hard, big fat honey bee (I'm allergic to them too) smacks me right in the front tooth, then before I realize what's up, he shoots down my throat as I'm on my air intake stroke. I've had them go in my mouth and back of throat before, but never like this - I pretty much inhaled it. I gagged once, no dice, then briefly thought of trying to swallow him down, but did a last shot hard gag and he blew out.

But not before stinging me deep down in my wind-pipe (below the adam's apple). Weird thing is that it didn't initially hurt at all (guess there are no nerves in the wind pipe cartilage).

I'm just starting my climbing loop thinking this could get very bad ...., but I rationalize that a wind pipe is all cartilage, few blood vessles and soft tissue, so the chances of it swelling shut are slim. So like any good idiot, I hammer on and finish the loop.

Luckily I was right about swelling - am sitting here at my desk 3 hours later and can still breathe, but my throat feels like a box of nails when I swallow.

Damn bees!

dd74
09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
I feel for you. I was stung twice in the mouth this year. The second time was during a century ride. Fortunately, my riding partner was a doctor. Through the course of 60 or so miles, the sting swelled the inside of my cheek, then went down. My doctor friend said it was due to dehydration that the swelling went down. But who knows, really.

93legendti
09-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Wow, that's wild. I keep Sudafed with me in case of stings. I had a huge bee smack in to my sunglasses yesterday...

d_douglas
09-11-2012, 05:02 PM
I was at a cafe this past weekend with my family and while distracted with two insane little kids, a bee must've fallen in my latte.

I took a mouthful, and tasted something, but figured it was a crumb from a muffin, so just happily ate it, until it dawned on me that I was eating something crunchy. I spat it out on the ground and sure enough, a bee! Or a wasp, I think. A

Anyhoo, it was dead, so no big deal, but that was gross.

OK, that was the stupidest post I have ever put on this forum - so stupid that I will not delete it and just leave it here as a memorial to stupidity.

dd74
09-11-2012, 05:58 PM
I bit mine in half, but the stinger still did its business. At least I know what pollen tastes like.

Hmmm?
09-11-2012, 06:15 PM
At least I know what pollen tastes like.

Doper!!!

emckee1
09-11-2012, 06:20 PM
I had gone 4-5 years with no bee stings while riding until this summer. Then, in the space of 6 rides, I was stung 5 times. I thought there was some sort of conspiracy afoot. Since then, no stings at all. Go figure.

smead
09-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Looks like he got me in the larynx (was heading down to the lungs!) because I can't talk at all now, and swallowing really hurts. Was also hoping that sipping some tea would ensure that the stinger worked it's way out, but it looks like the larynx is after the pipe splits and heading down the lung airway and not down to the esophygus. So am not sure how the hell the stringer's going to work its way out unless I try inhaling some tea.

Note to self - shut thy mouth.

Gummee
09-11-2012, 07:02 PM
I was mid-way thru a 4-hr loop when one got me in the tongue.

Felt like someone was hammering a nail thru my tongue for the rest of the ride.

NOT recommended.

M

chuckroast
09-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Smead, if ever there was a candidate for a Benadryl, I think you're it!

reggiebaseball
09-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Looks like he got me in the larynx (was heading down to the lungs!) because I can't talk at all now, and swallowing really hurts. Was also hoping that sipping some tea would ensure that the stinger worked it's way out, but it looks like the larynx is after the pipe splits and heading down the lung airway and not down to the esophygus. So am not sure how the hell the stringer's going to work its way out unless I try inhaling some tea.

Note to self - shut thy mouth.

my vet had a cat come in recently with the same ailment (he cycles with his mouth open too)
Lucky she is a good vet, because I think cats are less eloquent about the nature of their troubles.

Maybe you should try getting waterboarded to remove the stinger?

Peter B
09-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Steve and I were descending Cobb Mountain (11%) on the tandem on KX Double at about 45+ mph when he was stung down the jersey. As stoker my duty was to fluff the ba$tard out while he kept us upright. Both of us did our job and we finished the ride in tact. Good thing his wife had sent him out the door that morning with a double dose of Benadryl (lesson from a sting on an earlier century ride).

Geez Steve you need to lay off the IPA or whatever it is that attracts them. Glad to hear you're ok!

William
09-11-2012, 09:42 PM
I was at a cafe this past weekend with my family and while distracted with two insane little kids, a bee must've fallen in my latte.

I took a mouthful, and tasted something, but figured it was a crumb from a muffin, so just happily ate it, until it dawned on me that I was eating something crunchy. I spat it out on the ground and sure enough, a bee! Or a wasp, I think. A

Anyhoo, it was dead, so no big deal, but that was gross.

OK, that was the stupidest post I have ever put on this forum - so stupid that I will not delete it and just leave it here as a memorial to stupidity.

You need to memorialize that in this thread!!
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=58755&highlight=Stupid

It's quite deserving.;):D

William

dd74
09-12-2012, 03:53 AM
At least don't ride wearing a yellow jersey.

Climb01742
09-12-2012, 05:19 AM
I've swallowed various unknown bugs over the years but never, thankfully, a bee. I feel for you. And thanks for the thread. I had thought in the past about posting about bugs going down my open pie hole during a ride but didn't out of fear of looking like a doofus. Well, I may still be a dork but at least I know I have company.;)

tiretrax
09-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Smead, how are you today? You know share karma with Frank Schleck! I get anaphalaxis from bee stings; they are nothing to take lightly. A bee hit my tooth and went into my mouth this summer. I was able to spit it out without getting stung, thankfully.

I also never ride without glasses. Each time I do, I get a nat or a piece of grit in my eye.

smead
09-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the kind words. And yes I bendrylled good yesterday. Got a little scary last night as the pain and swelling got worse and worse but fortunately this AM it is heading back in the right direction. Still a little concerned about how the stinger is going to get out of there though.

Yeah PeterB and I musta been quite a sight flying down Cobb mtn with his hand up my jersey trying to free the bee and I'm screaming like a baby :( .. One of a few Cobb mtn tales of tandem terror ..

T.J.
09-12-2012, 11:17 AM
I remember a mtb race years ago that involved me and a bee. Was having a good race, setting in 2nd place and closing in on the pro who had the lead ( they used to run pros and experts together. I came to a fast section of roller/ whoops and a bee went in my jersey. I grabbed a handful of jersey to take a quick peek between whoops and getting airborne again, look down and no bee. Well i thought no bee. Apparently i had grabbed him in my hand when i grabbed the jersey to look. This apparently made him a little ticked off. Got stung just as i was airborne and in a panic tried to get him out and land and stay on the trail at the same time. Didnt work out to well. Only upside is i killed what turned out to ne a wood hornet when i crashed. Those thing pack a punch when they sting.