PDA

View Full Version : What to do? (the thwarted samaritan version)

flydhest
09-11-2012, 08:45 AM
So, on the way to work this morning, coming down 21st Street, three cyclists a half block ahead of me went through an intersection (G Street, I think). Something fell to the pavement. Two of the cyclists looked down in response to the noise. I saw that a bike headlight had fallen, picked it up, and looked at the cyclists. Of the two that had reacted, one turned and the other went straight. I followed the one that turned, thinking he was going to check what he lost. Turns out, he was just going to class, and had not had a light. Back on 21st Street, no sign of the others. Blackburn 3.3 headlight.

What's a wannabe good samaritan to do?

bobswire
09-11-2012, 09:02 AM
So, on the way to work this morning, coming down 21st Street, three cyclists a half block ahead of me went through an intersection (G Street, I think). Something fell to the pavement. Two of the cyclists looked down in response to the noise. I saw that a bike headlight had fallen, picked it up, and looked at the cyclists. Of the two that had reacted, one turned and the other went straight. I followed the one that turned, thinking he was going to check what he lost. Turns out, he was just going to class, and had not had a light. Back on 21st Street, no sign of the others. Blackburn 3.3 headlight.

What's a wannabe good samaritan to do?

Probably stolen bike, when they saw you pick something up from one of the bikes they skedaddled out of there. No, not mine,never saw it before, I'm just a hapless student on my way to class said the first guy you caught.....:rolleyes:;)

MattTuck
09-11-2012, 09:06 AM
You could keep your eye on craigslist or any local discussion boards. Reality though, is if you post a PSA somewhere, you're probably more likely to be contacted by people looking to score a free light as you are by the legit owner.

In my opinion, you just scored a new light.

AngryScientist
09-11-2012, 09:11 AM
there's pretty much nothing you can do in this case that's productive IMO. it's a nice thought on your part, but "finders keepers" applies here IMO.

christian
09-11-2012, 09:33 AM
$25 light, now yours.

weiwentg
09-11-2012, 10:00 AM
this being DC the guy who lost it most likely can afford to replace it. unless he was a student, I guess.

rugbysecondrow
09-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Put up a LOST ad on Craigslist.

If no takers in a few days, donate to a good cause or put a FREE ad on craigslist and give it to somebody who needs it.

You could also skip step one and go straight to step two.