PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rowing Machine Recommendations?

mistermo
09-10-2012, 11:10 AM
This winter, I'd like to do some indoor rowing. I imagine there are legions of used rowing machines occupying craigslist ads, but I don't know what to search for. I'd like a good machine, but not a uber fancy pro model.

Does anyone have any recommendations? TIA!

LegendRider
09-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Concept 2 Model D.

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-d

Rowing is brutally hard. All the pleasure of a puke-inducing climb on the bike with none of the scenery! However, if you can stick with it you will be rewarded with great fitness.

Lewis Moon
09-10-2012, 11:41 AM
We have a really nice Tunturi r710 with wind resistance that I'd trade for a set of new clincher tires or a Chorus front derailleur if you lived in Phoenix....

AngryScientist
09-10-2012, 11:43 AM
concept 2 is really the only answer. any model. they are all good and capable of yielding puke producing workouts.

atl001
09-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Older Concepts (model C for example) are good too, if you find one in good shape. I've heard good things about water rowers too.

Careful though, I irritated my left sciatic nerve (which apparently runs right under my sit bone) when I used to row, and ended up selling my Concept.

malcolm
09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Concept 2 Model D.

Rowing is brutally hard. All the pleasure of a puke-inducing climb on the bike with none of the scenery! However, if you can stick with it you will be rewarded with great fitness.

Don't consider anything else. Concept 2 will provide a level of torment/torture in a fairly short period of time that compares with little else

xeladragon
09-10-2012, 01:12 PM
If you're patient, you can usually find a pretty good deal on Concept2's on Craiglist. I got a barely used Model D for $700, I think.

climbgdh
09-10-2012, 01:13 PM
only one choice when it comes to rowers. concept 2. don't even bother with looking at anything else. these are the best. any model .... even the older ones.

esldude
09-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Well, I have an okay rower. Not a Concept 2 though as you see they have a good following. Mine is a combination of air and magnetic resistance. Air only is probably better, but can be darned loud. They do provide a good workout especially for winter time. I have one in an unheated garage, can go out even in the coldest weather wearing a shirt and thin pants. You warm up plenty in just a few minutes so the cold is welcome. The water rowers provide a nice smooth motion and in some ways feel better than air. They aren't as simply adjustable and you do have to mess with the water. And in my case, in an unheated garage not feasible if it gets too cold.

But rowing is cool. They get a little upper body aerobic exercise to use in kayaking, canoeing or rowing a boat in the summer.

Now I find riding an indoor trainer on a bike about half a step above walking a treadmill which is to say I detest it and pretty much won't do it. The back and forth motion of rowing however I find calming and somehow not mind numbing the way a trainer or treadmill is. Maybe it is just because your visual field is rapidly moving too and fro instead of being static.

mistermo
09-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Now I find riding an indoor trainer on a bike about half a step above walking a treadmill which is to say I detest it and pretty much won't do it. The back and forth motion of rowing however I find calming and somehow not mind numbing the way a trainer or treadmill is.

My experience too. I had a cheapo Precor machine about 20+ years ago and halfway liked it. Never having rowed much, I thought rowing was an upper body sport. I was surprised at how much my legs were used and recall some workouts where it was difficult to stand afterwards.

For me, 30 mins of rowing was a pretty hard workout.

572cv
09-10-2012, 02:19 PM
We've had a few over the years, the current one is a D. I also have a scull, which I get out on from time to time. Rowing is a huge full body workout and going very fast (seemingly) on open and flat water is a rush.

One thing to keep in mind as you start rowing on a concept 2: Only go about a thousand meters or about 5-6 minutes when you first start using it. Keep to this for the first five or six times, or until you start feeling comfortable with the motion, otherwise you risk pulling a muscle. After that, you can go for many kliks and get as drenched as if you just flipped a scull :)

William
09-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Don't consider anything else. Concept 2 will provide a level of torment/torture in a fairly short period of time that compares with little else

Have to agree here. I've got a model C in my house that still gets used multiple times daily by all members of the family. If I could only have one piece of exercise equipment the Concept II would be it. When I was racing crew we had model B's in the boathouse and there were still a few model A's floating around. They just don't die.

You don't generally see them used too often because folks tend to hang on to them once they get them.

A quick CL search shows a few in my area used. Three model C's and one model D for under $750.
http://providence.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=38&subAreaID=&query=concept+2+rower&catAbb=sss

If you want one new, buy direct if you can still do it. It will save you a lot over buying one from a retail seller...probably by half.

William

CaptStash
09-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Gotta' chime in as well. As a rower, I can tell you that the Concept 2 is literally the ONLY machine that compettitive rowers use on a universal basis. A few I know have played with the water rower, which works OK, but doesn't have the advantage of being as bullet proof as the Concept 2, nor does it have the amazing repeatability that lets you compare your workouts day to day, week to week and year to year.

Finding a used one depends a lot on where you live. If you are near Boston, Philadelphia or Seattle, all big rowing cities, they are easier to come by than if you live in say, Tulsa. There a re a few available on eBay right now as well.

You can still buy direct form the company. They are here: Concept 2 (http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers?gclid=CLjQupqLrLICFYeDQgodoRUAXQ)

If and when you do get one, it would be a great idea to get a little bit of coaching into technique. There is way more to rowing well than you would think, and rowing poorly can definitely lead to injury. Concept 2's how to video is a great place to start.

CaptStash....

Louis
09-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Concept 2 Model D.

+1 on the C II Model D (or a used C, if you feel like saving a few bucks)

I'll differ from LR in on one thing - like cycling, it's only as hard as you make it. Not necessarily a killer, if you're not trying to go super-fast.

Having said that (and I've said this here before) one way in which I think it's more difficult than cycling is that on a bike, even on a tough climb, you can kind of get in a "flow" and just pedal. On the erg, near the end of a hard piece I find that I have to make a conscious decision to push yourself hard with every stroke, which is psychologically much more taxing than "just riding" on the bike. Perhaps folks that are good at it don't have that problem, and are able to get in a rhythm and turn their brain off, but I've never been able to do that. When I'm tired and working hard it's a constant battle to keep pushing on every stroke.

thegunner
09-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Have to agree here. I've got a model C in my house that still gets used multiple times daily by all members of the family. If I could only have one piece of exercise equipment the Concept II would be it. When I was racing crew we had model B's in the boathouse and there were still a few model A's floating around. They just don't die.

You don't generally see them used too often because folks tend to hang on to them once they get them.

A quick CL search shows a few in my area used. Three model C's and one model D for under $750.
http://providence.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=38&subAreaID=&query=concept+2+rower&catAbb=sss

If you want one new, buy direct if you can still do it. It will save you a lot over buying one from a retail seller...probably by half.

William

if you're going to buy new (and since you're in CT) go to crash b's and get one right after the competition. huge discount.

mistermo
09-10-2012, 08:40 PM
if you're going to buy new (and since you're in CT) go to crash b's and get one right after the competition. huge discount.

More please. What is "crash b's"? Thx.

EFHeath
09-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Gotta' chime in as well. As a rower, I can tell you that the Concept 2 is literally the ONLY machine that competitive rowers use on a universal basis.

CaptStash....

Except these people...
<http://www.rowperfect.com.au/prominent-users.html>

CaptStash
09-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Except these people...
<http://www.rowperfect.com.au/prominent-users.html>

I forgot about that thing. We had one at the rowing club and it was...interesting. It never really took off. I thought they stopped making it. Their list of prominent users sort of peters out about 12 years ago.

Captstash....

CaptStash
09-10-2012, 09:03 PM
More please. What is "crash b's"? Thx.

CRASH B's are the annual ergometer championship[s held in Boston. Urban legend says (and this was related to me by one said legendary oarsmen) that the initials stand for "Charles River Association of Sculling Has Beens". A concept 2 rowing machine is considered an ergometer because it can accurately measure the amount of work (ergs) you put into the machine. Yes it is a great big power meter.

There should be plenty of info. on the Crash B's on the Concept 2 website There are also plenty of satellite regattas held around the country. They all use new ergs that then get sold at a nice discount. You usually have to sign up for an erg pretty early, and the regattas start in mid to late fall, with Crash B's happening in February.

CaptStash....

William
09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Yep, I used to do the Crash B's and the Ergomania competitions when I was racing. Keep the trash can close by.:D

William

happycampyer
09-10-2012, 10:18 PM
I sold my model C a while back—I wasn't using it much, it was taking up a lot of space, and I thought I'd use the model D's at the gym. That didn't work, so now I'm thinking about getting another erg, but am mostly interested in the C2 "Dynamic" model. Has anyone tried one? It looks like the motion mimics being on the water more so than the fixed erg (or an erg on sliders, which takes up even more space).

On a related note, does anyone remember the old sweep-oared Gamut ergs with the giant flywheel and the basket with weights? Talk about a torture device.

Louis
09-10-2012, 10:22 PM
now I'm thinking about getting another erg, but am mostly interested in the C2 "Dynamic" model.

Have you tried the CII forum? I'm sure you'll find plenty of opinions there. And if not, you can always ask.

CaptStash
09-11-2012, 08:57 AM
I sold my model C a while back—I wasn't using it much, it was taking up a lot of space, and I thought I'd use the model D's at the gym. That didn't work, so now I'm thinking about getting another erg, but am mostly interested in the C2 "Dynamic" model. Has anyone tried one? It looks like the motion mimics being on the water more so than the fixed erg (or an erg on sliders, which takes up even more space).

On a related note, does anyone remember the old sweep-oared Gamut ergs with the giant flywheel and the basket with weights? Talk about a torture device.

Gamut erg = EVIL DEVIL TORTURE DEVICE

Yes I remember and still have nightmares from college and national team testing.

CaptStash....

bobswire
09-11-2012, 09:26 AM
I use a Kettler Kadett, granted it's not a Concept 2 but then again I'm not going to become a competitive rower. I got it since it mimics actual rowing
motion and if fulfills my needs for core,back and leg health.

This site has pretty accurate reviews on various rowers. He rates the concept the highest but give very good review on the Kettler.

http://best-rowing-machines.com/kettler-kadett-2/

This where I have mine that I use at least 5 times a week in the evenings while watching the boob tube (or whatever they call flat screens since they are no longer tubes).
http://i49.tinypic.com/30k64x5.jpg

zap
09-11-2012, 09:29 AM
We enjoy our Concept 2 rower. Just like riding indoors, focus on goals.......and imaginary competitors ;)

crownjewelwl
09-11-2012, 09:33 AM
a while back...bot a concept 2...used it for a few months and sold it

it bored me to tears...and it takes up a lot of space...you can break it down in 2 pieces but it is kinda a PITA

i did try my cousin's water rower...the "feel" is much nicer and you can easily store it upright

i would consider water rower if i had to do it again