PDA

View Full Version : muscle tear 3rd degree

flickwet
10-03-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm wondering if anyone out there has had experience with a 3rd degree(complete) muscle tear of the hamstring (semitendinosus) which in my case happened 2 weeks ago, havn't ridden since.Will need surgery to correct, How long post operative recuperation, that is ,when can I ride again?Currently I can briefly ride my Surly single speed around the driveway, but can't lift my foot off of the ground when walking, I shuffle off to buffalo. I need to ride I miss my Colorado, Doc says wait, but again pushing down don't hurt.I spent 4 years and dropped 45 pounds, I don't want to lose what I worked so hard for. By the way it didn't happen cycling.

Dr. Doofus
10-03-2005, 07:31 PM
you're looking at four months to maybe six, depending on how well you heal

hamstrings are notoriously fickle. I've had second-degree tears that have taken up to three months to heal fully, even with cortisone injections (scar tissue is a real problem).

do exactly what your doctor and physio say and don't try to rush anything -- rushing will cause more harm than good

bulliedawg
10-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Must a hurt like eight hells.

Louis
10-03-2005, 10:03 PM
This won’t help your cycling, but it might give you an outlet for your energy:

Get some sort of weight machine that doesn’t require you to load your leg (free weights would not be good for this) and pump iron. While waiting for your hamstring to heal you can turn yourself into Mr. Universe. Do the max the docs allow you to do with your legs (which sounds like it won’t be much) but put your primary effort into upper body stuff. At least you won’t feel like you’re becoming a couch potato, and you might end up liking the results. :cool:

Caveat: I’m not a doctor, and don’t even play one on TV, so take this with a grain of salt:

Too Tall
10-04-2005, 06:42 AM
What Doof-food said. Stay the "f" off it bub. After surgery you will benefit greatly from deep tissue massage from someone who is really good. Look for a therapist with mucho experience and a sharp elbow...not kidding.

Meantime I do not see why you have to go backwards or lose fitness....just stay outta the legs for a while. Get to a pool, get a coach and go for it.

flickwet
10-04-2005, 07:25 AM
thanks for the replies,

I'm trying to do the weights thing,at least a half hour every other day of upper body, will work up to an hour. At least its something, no other alternative anyway. Happened after an Indians game, had to drive home to boot. Does anyone make custom fitted, carbon/Ti weight sets? Lighter would keep the reps quicker.

Tom
10-04-2005, 08:51 AM
I read somewhere, I think Noake's 'Lore of Running' that tears heal a lot faster if you get massage. Any therapists can comment on that?

jpw
10-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Swim.

Ginger
10-04-2005, 09:33 AM
I have no suggestions, but I feel for you. When I severed my ACL and tore my MCL I also pulled/tore my hamstring on that leg as well. That was last October and I'm just getting over the constant pain (but then, I didn't have surgery to correct the hamstring...just the ACL). I did find that any time the pain ramped up, I was doing too much. It's frustrating, but you'll have to take that one slow.

On the plus side I did manage to loose weight while I was waiting for surgery and recovering from surgery. You have to realize NOW that you aren't riding and adjust your calorie intake accordingly. Then you have to make sure your body gets what it needs to rebuild the torn tissue.

Good luck,
Mary Ann