PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist attacks - pulls knife on driver

kenw
09-08-2012, 01:23 AM
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_21480467/boulder-police-drunken-cyclist-pulls-knife-driver-after?source=most_viewed

Wilkinson4
09-08-2012, 08:06 AM
21 yrs old, "Call my mother"? I hope she showed up with a switch! That said, the other story about the cyclist getting stabbed. Holy crap.

mIKE

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-08-2012, 08:32 AM
-From the comment section.

"Dear Daily Camera,

In the interests of clarification, your headline and article are damaging and misleading.

The individual involved in this incident is 'a person on a bicycle' who has acted recklessly and apparently without regard for others. In no way shape or form is this a 'cyclist'. Your misleading headline and reference in the body of your article does a major disservice to the community of individuals who are technically and theoretically referred to as 'cyclists'.

In a time of heightened sensitivity and conflict between 'cyclists' and 'motorists'; your inaccurate characterization of this individual and your labeling of him as a 'cyclist' does grave harm to the welfare of cyclists in the region and reflects poorly on your inability to the accurately report a news item with any journalistic integrity.

Thanks,

A genuinely concerned citizen and cyclist."

gdw
09-08-2012, 08:45 AM
cy·clist
noun
a person who rides or travels by bicycle, motorcycle, etc.

bobswire
09-08-2012, 10:00 AM
cy·clist
noun

Yeah yeah yeah, we know but we know the difference too, do you?

Fixed
09-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Mad mad world
Did I read they found him at a methadone treatment center ?
Cheers

gdw
09-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Relax. The suspect is a screwed up kid on a bike and those of us living in Boulder see them regularly. Most of us also know that the folks who write comments after the articles in the Camera are asshats.

slidey
09-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Yup, that alone should qualify him as a pro-cyclist, not just any cyclist :mad:

Mad mad world
Did I read they found him at a methadone treatment center ?
Cheers

ljklassen
09-08-2012, 10:35 AM
cy·clist
noun

So by that logic, a person that looted a store front and is running from the cops with a TV on his shoulder could garner the headline, "Jogger Steals TV, Leads Police on Wild Foot Race".

bobswire
09-08-2012, 10:58 AM
So by that logic, a person that looted a store front and is running from the cops with a TV on his shoulder could garner the headline, "Jogger Steals TV, Leads Police on Wild Foot Race".

Yes, and guy using a baseball bat is a baseball player, two drunks fist fighting are boxers and guy caught on video stealing just produced his is own reality show. :banana:

gdw
09-08-2012, 11:17 AM
It's a newspaper headline. The story conveys the details. Anyone who actually gets past the headline understands that the story is about a manboy riding a bike under the influence behaving badly......slidey might be right, he could be pro a cyclist. :banana:

learningtoride
09-08-2012, 11:31 AM

thinpin
09-08-2012, 12:14 PM
yup, that alone should qualify him as a pro-cyclist, not just any cyclist :mad:

Funny!

Grant McLean
09-08-2012, 01:59 PM
It's a newspaper headline. The story conveys the details. Anyone who actually gets past the headline understands that the story is about a manboy riding a bike under the influence behaving badly..

The headline is misleading. How many of us clicked on this story
thinking it was another road-rage incident between a recreational cyclist and a car?

I would have gone with the headline: "troubled youth arrested after altercation with knife".

-g

gdw
09-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Why do you even care? You don't live in Boulder? Those of us who reside in the community aren't too concerned. We have more than our share of inebriated students and transients and the only people who get excited about headlines like this one are the twits who use the online Camera articles as a forum. Read the paper for a week and you'll discover that the same folks post constantly on all sorts of articles. Some of the regulars dislike people on bikes, whoopee.

Grant McLean
09-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Why do you even care?

Because i'd like the general public, who never ride bikes, to consider doing so
instead of driving their cars everywhere. I'd like our cities and towns to be
designed better for travelling by bike. The media hurts these causes by constantly
portraying cycling as a dangerous, strange, and annoying sideshow every
opportunity they get.

-g

rugbysecondrow
09-08-2012, 05:57 PM
In fairness, if an auto hits a person on a bike, what do they call him? A cyclist, regardless of whether he is recreating, commuting or high from the night before.

It is an acceptable word to use and seems consistent with other articles I have read.
Since when is a cyclist a person only wearing Lycra and rolling on skinny tires?
The term seems misapplied if only used for recreational folks. Isn't the proliferation of cycling, regardless of purpose, a good thing? If it is, then we have to accept the wide swath the term cyclist might encompass.

All of the other analogies previously offered are just silly.