PDA

View Full Version : Hull Rupture! Damage Control parties to deck 3!

BumbleBeeDave
09-07-2012, 08:13 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-to-introduce-doping-amnesty

So now they;re gonna fix it for everyone, not just Lance.

:rolleyes:

BBD

Steve in SLO
09-07-2012, 08:17 PM
An interesting solution, for sure.
Perhaps the UCI is interested in ending the investigations from that era.... are there skeletons in their closet that they don't want to come to light? Maybe the organization has the most to lose from continued examination.

BumbleBeeDave
09-07-2012, 08:39 PM
An interesting solution, for sure.
Perhaps the UCI is interested in ending the investigations from that era.... are there skeletons in their closet that they don't want to come to light? Maybe the organization has the most to lose from continued examination.

That was my thought exactly.

BBD

FlashUNC
09-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Agreed. Interesting they bring this up just as the most prominent rider of the era is getting nailed.

TomP
09-07-2012, 09:11 PM
I think it depends on what one thinks is an acceptable outcome from this entire mess.

1. Should the hunt continue, huge resources be spent, and people's live's be shattered?

2. Can people confess so there at least can be a concerted effort to move forward, not backward? Admit their mistake and be exposed to public and professional critique. Start again with a clean slate, but be kept under a microscope.

I don't believe there is a perfect solution. But if calmer heads can prevail, maybe we can think of what might be in the best intersts of the cycling community as a whole, public and professional, past, present and future.

Rueda Tropical
09-07-2012, 09:20 PM
McQuaid has no interest in having the truth come out. He's desperate to prevent that from happening. He's hoping for a selective reveal that protects the UCI and then everyone gets a get out of jail free card and they go back to business as usual.

If he really wanted to have a truth and reconciliation commission to clean up the sport he would offer his resignation and suggest they get someone with some credibility to run the UCI and the process and offer his and Verbuggens confessions to get the ball rolling.

jimcav
09-07-2012, 09:21 PM
isn't cycling a signatory to WADA ? I wasn't aware of amnesty in WADA, so admitting to doping and getting amnesty, unless it is admitting to doping after whatever statute of limitation might exist in WADA, would seem to violate WADA code?

Louis
09-07-2012, 09:23 PM
The UCI has zero credibility and is not in any position to wipe any slate clean, theirs, or anyone else.

Black Dog
09-07-2012, 09:24 PM
A truth and reconciliation panel might be better than an amnesty.

Louis
09-07-2012, 09:26 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that.

TomP
09-07-2012, 09:28 PM

Excellent!

If we can't think of potential solutions, but can only continue to tar and feather everyone, no will ever be satisfied.

FlashUNC
09-07-2012, 10:49 PM
McQuaid has no interest in having the truth come out. He's desperate to prevent that from happening. He's hoping for a selective reveal that protects the UCI and then everyone gets a get out of jail free card and they go back to business as usual.

If he really wanted to have a truth and reconciliation commission to clean up the sport he would offer his resignation and suggest they get someone with some credibility to run the UCI and the process and offer his and Verbuggens confessions to get the ball rolling.

+1. Just looks like the UCI trying to sweep their dirty dealings under the rug, just sacrifice some riders along the way.

slidey
09-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Nasty, spineless baboons...how can they even be serious? I can't imagine a comic making such a remark and getting away with it...well, maybe a comic!

Hmm...maybe McQuadrilateral is a joke...his track record sure seems to support that! :mad:

efuentes
09-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Last time all this took front page (Festina era) I decided to stop seeing, reading and talking about Pro cycling for a couple of years, I am about ready to do it again :mad:

CunegoFan
09-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Congrats to Landis for his reinstated Tour win.

I cannot wait to see Ricco tearing up the Giro again.

And you all thought Dr. Ferrari was out of business. He's back, baby. He's back!

ultraman6970
09-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Wonder if the chicken, the kaiser and landis will be included?

Did not see this coming, pretty funny :)

kayten
09-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Pat McQuaid is, well, Pat McQuaid....

G-Reg
09-08-2012, 06:42 AM

Screw that. Make them pay for the sins. All of them and Lance twice since he was a rider and owner

Tandem Rider
09-08-2012, 07:10 AM

Agreed. At least some of the truth needs to come out, I just know my little pieces, but there are thousands more like me who also know their little slice. Getting it all out would take several lifetimes.

I have been racing since the 70's, (no comments about I should know better by now) ABR, followed by USCF, followed by USAC have all been good old boy networks increasingly in bed with UCI. I have been beaten by people I knew were hot, and beaten some of them too. Water under the bridge now for me, but it would have been a lot more fun at the time if I knew they were clean too. No way to know if the results would have been any different.

I don't know where to draw the line, does anyone? Do we only look at the doping? How about all of the "travel" and "expenses" that goes on? How about the "cronyism"? How about favoring of one group of riders over all of the others just because they are in the "cool kids club"? I'm positive that the USAC "leadership" will continue to keep as much as possible from coming to light. I don't have any recent personal experience with UCI but from what has been repeated to me by friends it hasn't changed for the better.

Louis
09-08-2012, 02:30 PM
It's pretty clear that the mob on this forum won't be happy until they have their blood.

Nope, not interested in that. Too many artificial sweeteners for my taste. ;)

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Congrats to Landis for his reinstated Tour win.

I cannot wait to see Ricco tearing up the Giro again.

And you all thought Dr. Ferrari was out of business. He's back, baby. He's back!

Back? He never left.