PDA

View Full Version : Video for car guys nurburgring zr1

alancw3
09-07-2012, 12:54 PM
if this video doesn't get your blood flowing nothing will.

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-zr1-sports-car.html

you have to scroll down to almost the end and click on nurburgring and allow at least a minute to load. showroom stock zr1 corvette. absolutely love the sound and visual rpm's, mph and elapsed time. also nice to see where are on the track as a sidebar. farorite part the last straightaway. 182 mph at 6500 rpm's (engines redline). hope you car guys will enjoy!

William
09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Nice! Hit 183 for just a split second before hitting the brakes. That would be a fun ride.:cool:

William

dancinkozmo
09-07-2012, 06:58 PM
...i would have undoubtedly soiled myself multiple times on that lap

swPArider
09-07-2012, 07:46 PM
gotta be brave to drive a road car that fast.

tv_vt
09-07-2012, 09:16 PM
All for a mere $112K... Maybe Romney has one. ;-)

Louis
09-07-2012, 09:20 PM
All for a mere $112K...

I was thinking the same thing. I thought Corvettes were affordable performance...

jimdohertyjim
09-07-2012, 10:22 PM
It maybe a $112,000 but it beats a lot of cars costing 3 or 4 times that amount.

Here is the Ferrari Enzo lap time 7:25.3.

weisan
09-07-2012, 11:05 PM

krhea
09-07-2012, 11:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I thought Corvettes were affordable performance...

It is affordable if you have $100k to spend on a car, if not then move downscale and find something exciting and fun to drive for less. A Subaru BRZ or Scion FR-S could fit the "affordable performance" category you're talking about. Vette's, like literally everything else including high end bikes, have been getting more expensive every year as their technology, features and performance have been refined and improved upon.
There are many many cars costing much more that can't match those performance stats.
Great job done by the folks at the Kentucky Vette plant and it's great the US has a car that matches and beats imports costing $100+ and more. Good on those who can afford one.

Steve in SLO
09-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Love in-car cams.
It is refreshing to see someone driving the 'ring for a fastest lap time rather than drifting it for tire smoke and drama.
Smooth is fast.

Louis
09-08-2012, 04:41 AM
For the record, I have to say that this one (featuring Christian's driver Travis Pastrana) is my favorite insane car video:

Mt Washington Hill Climb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZh-7hkNe4)

AgilisMerlin
09-08-2012, 04:42 AM
Love in-car cams.
It is refreshing to see someone driving the 'ring for a fastest lap time rather than drifting it for tire smoke and drama.
Smooth is fast.

I tend to agree

dancinkozmo
09-08-2012, 06:15 AM
....in this age of melting icecaps , what is the point of a car like this ?

alancw3
09-08-2012, 11:08 AM

yeah you can get a basic corvette for about $60k. the zr1 at $112k is really a race car that is licensed for the road. basic has 436 hp zrl 638 hp plus a lot of other racing and performance features. sort of like comparing a porsche 911 to a 911 gt2.

rice rocket
09-08-2012, 11:24 AM

Why do you hate fun?

Seramount
09-08-2012, 11:56 AM

given that the number of high-performance cars like this comprises about 0.0000000001% of the global ICE fleet, it really has no impact to hastening sea level rise due to melting polar ice fields.

we need to eliminate the tens of MILLIONS of older, high-emission vehicles first. then, we can worry about a handful of race cars.

Ken Robb
09-08-2012, 02:19 PM
given that the number of high-performance cars like this comprises about 0.0000000001% of the global ICE fleet, it really has no impact to hastening sea level rise due to melting polar ice fields.

we need to eliminate the tens of MILLIONS of older, high-emission vehicles first. then, we can worry about a handful of race cars.

Thoughtful post.:beer:

Louis
09-08-2012, 02:23 PM

As if that's ever going to happen. So we trundle slowly but surely toward the future, leaving our grandchildren a world that will most certainly not be better than ours.

dancinkozmo
09-08-2012, 02:30 PM
...wonder what gm, porsche etc. could come up with if they were able to divert the brilliant engineers and billions of dollars used to develop these supercars towards alternative fuel or electric vehicles ?

Steve in SLO
09-08-2012, 02:39 PM
...wonder what gm, porsche etc. could come up with if they were able to divert the brilliant engineers and billions of dollars used to develop these supercars towards alternative fuel or electric vehicles ?

This:

tv_vt
09-08-2012, 02:42 PM
One thing I will say about that video is, 'holy crap, how do those F1 drivers pass each other on that course at those speeds??' That track looks so narrow at those speeds. Gotta respect the craziness F1 drivers deal with. Nerves? Ooh yeah.

Louis
09-08-2012, 02:42 PM

It will happen, as soon as people value a lower-carbon future as much as they value 1) the enjoyment of watching cars go 'round and 'round and occasionally smash into each other, and 2) owning cars that make they feel good about themselves, as if they are the guys in those cars going 'round and 'round on the weekends.

I just don't think it's going to happen any time soon. In 20 years? Maybe. In 50 years? Certainly.

zap
09-08-2012, 03:30 PM
One thing I will say about that video is, 'holy crap, how do those F1 drivers pass each other on that course at those speeds??' That track looks so narrow at those speeds. Gotta respect the craziness F1 drivers deal with. Nerves? Ooh yeah.

Current F1 track is very different.

For a few euro's you too can zip around the old, complete track.

Something I wish to do some day.

dancinkozmo
09-08-2012, 04:14 PM
This:

taking current status quo technology and sticking it in an existing outdated chasis is not what im talkin 'bout...

zap
09-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Porsche has been racing hybrid 911 for a year now....no batteries. Production car should be available in a year or so. No batteries....pretty neat system.....and car too....this new 911.

Car companies have been building alt fuel cars for decades, they are not in the biz of building infrastructure. U can purchase Nat gas Honda Civic....just know where to fill it up.

What does this have to do with the vet........

pureretro
09-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Takes some skill to do that. Someday....I want to be within 2 minutes with the same car. Let's start practicing again on the PS3.