PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Cadence?

dohearne
02-23-2004, 08:30 PM
I just picked up my Legend ST which I still only dream of riding as we are still very much in ski season in VT. In talking with the LBS about a computer he was positive on the Vetta V100 (which both he and his wife use) but I also want cadence. He has only installed one V100 with wireless cadence and had some initial problems. I have 2 questions - (1) anyone with experience with wireless V100 cadence; (2) - anyone have a recommendation for a wireless computer with cadence capability?

DonG
02-23-2004, 08:55 PM
If you're not in a big hurry I can give you some feedback on a Polar wireless cadence. It's on order and should be in before too long.

I've been using a S510 with wireless speed and hr for almost three years and have not had any problems. I've also got the PC Coach so I can down load and see where I really wasn't busting my butt like I thought I was on that last hill (Numbers don't lie).

Don

Ahneida Ride
02-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Congrads on the new Legend. Rick is completely honest.
You won't find a better LBS.

dmsi
02-24-2004, 12:11 AM
I have the Vetta with wireless cadence. No real problems with it.

My only complaint is that with the wireless units, they shut off after you stop for five minutes, and don't auto-restart. So when you start up again after a coffee or donut, you have to remember to hit any button to restart the unit. Not sure why they couldn't design this into the unit, but that's the way it is.

Fairly simple to install, just need to be sure the magnets are lined up and close enough to the sending unit.

RobertP
02-24-2004, 02:30 AM
I've had good luck with my Polar. I have a Polar S-710.

Bruce K
02-24-2004, 04:54 AM
Check the thread on the Mavic Wintech.

So far teh cadence feature works great on the trainer.

BK

PBWrench
02-24-2004, 07:32 AM
I've got a Vetta 100 HR with wireless cadence and have ridden about 4000 miles on it. I'd give it a 10 on the way in which the screens are designed, very logical and easy to use. The cadence feature is also a 10, works well with no fuss. The HR function gets a 3. When it works, it's fine. The question is always when. Re: reliability the unit gets a 7. Every 40 rides or so it gets hyper and I'm suddenly doing 45 mph. Uphill. I reset it and it's fine again. I have not experienced the problem mentioned above re: shut down at stops in rides. Overall I really like it. It's an elegant, simple unit. Wintech looks like another good alternative. Good luck!

Pulverizer
02-24-2004, 08:35 AM
I have used the Polar S720 and have had the wireless cadence for a few months. I put it on both my Hors Categorie and my spin bike. The only negative is that the range of the signal is limited. I can ride my HC with the watch mounted on the handlebar or my wrist and get a very consistent and true cadence read. Like other systems you can choose what features you want to view for the ride. So, I have typically used the Polar system to view the cadence and time of day or minutes of the ride and then used my other cycling computer to get speed, distance data, etc.

Back to the signal range, I cannot get the type of distance of the signal for use on my spinning bike. I have to have the unit on my wrist and move it closer to the cadence sensor. This leads me to believe that someone on a larger frame bike might encounter the same problem. My road frame is a 54cm and the distance that I trying to get the signal to extend to on the Spinner is not that much more in terms of length.

All in all, for the $25 additional dollars it is a great wireless feature very much worth having and I really enjoy all the data from the S720.

Good Luck.