PDA

View Full Version : Sram Force shifter Vs Red

tomminator855
09-06-2012, 04:33 PM
I am in the middle of swapping my 9 speed Shimano 105 , I am thinking of trying out Sram Component , As at the moment i picked up a few components from our fellow members .. i got RED FD , Force RD , Force Brakeset, Force Crankset, and last thing is the Shifter , I am leaning toward the Force since it's cheaper ,i don't know how much better is RED compare to Force , What's the Differences between them ? is it worth to go with RED ? if there are significant deferent ,let's say RED is much better than Force , i wouldn't much drop a few bucks more for RED at all .. your help is much appreciated !!! thank you in advance ..

Gummee
09-06-2012, 05:07 PM
There's a slight feel difference when you shift Red and Red has the zero loss on both shifters.

Otherwise, pretty much same same. I think Force is the sweet spot in the SRAM lineup.

HTH

M

Nooch
09-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Red is better than Force is better than Rival is better than Apex.

But the meat and potatoes of it, is that Red uses zero-loss (available on the 2013 Force now, which is essentially the old red group), as well as some lighter materials.

I haven't personally used Force -- but i can tell you my red group shifts a whole lot better than my rival group.

vqdriver
09-06-2012, 07:32 PM
i have both sram red and sram force.
i'm assuming you're comparing 2012 red and force, not 2013 (which i know nothing about)

cosmetics and claimed weights aside, only functional difference is zero loss on both sides for the red. force has zero loss on the right hand shifter (rear) only. red has zero loss on the right shifter AND on the left shifter (front)

front derailleur trim on the force shifter was on the lower ring and then they moved it to the big ring at some point. newer versions will have big ring front trim, same as red

if you can get a deal, get the red. all else can be force.

tomminator855
09-07-2012, 03:46 PM
so is the older force like 2010 and 2012 the same ?i know they look different, the only 2013 models zero loss is added to the Force right ? i got a pair from ebay 210$ for the Force ,not sure what year but the Carbon fiber look with the Force logo on the shifter , I hope i didn't make a bad decision , just i thought 210$ for like new force shifter is hard to beat .. as i've looked on ebay or forums ,nothing goes cheaper ...

gospastic
09-07-2012, 04:08 PM
i have both sram red and sram force.
i'm assuming you're comparing 2012 red and force, not 2013 (which i know nothing about)

cosmetics and claimed weights aside, only functional difference is zero loss on both sides for the red. force has zero loss on the right hand shifter (rear) only. red has zero loss on the right shifter AND on the left shifter (front)

front derailleur trim on the force shifter was on the lower ring and then they moved it to the big ring at some point. newer versions will have big ring front trim, same as red

if you can get a deal, get the red. all else can be force.

You have it backwards, Before 2013 Force only has zero Loss on the left (front) shifter.

vqdriver
09-07-2012, 04:32 PM
You have it backwards, Before 2013 Force only has zero Loss on the left (front) shifter.

hmmmm.. you're probably right. i know it was only on one side.

i didn't know they changed that for 2013. so does that mean 2013 and later force is functionally the same as 2012 red?

John H.
09-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I have had both- Force does not shift as tight- no way no how.
I had my winter bike built up with Force group- shifting was sloppier.
Switched to Red shifters with all other parts still Force- shifted tight like my Red bike.
Sold the Force shifters.
This may change on the new 2013 Force shifters- but they will not be as cheap.
I would say track down 2011 Red shifters- work great and you can find deals on them.

ptourkin
09-07-2012, 06:02 PM
No price increase for 2013 Force. No yaw FD either, though.

false_Aest
09-07-2012, 06:03 PM
brah,

2013 F is 0 loss

2010-12 F is dopeness.

No one ever lost a race cuz they were riding force shifters.

tedschwartz
09-08-2012, 04:19 PM
can someone specify what zero loss is?

buddyebs
09-08-2012, 07:14 PM
I am in the middle of swapping my 9 speed Shimano 105 , I am thinking of trying out Sram Component , As at the moment i picked up a few components from our fellow members .. i got RED FD , Force RD , Force Brakeset, Force Crankset, and last thing is the Shifter , I am leaning toward the Force since it's cheaper ,i don't know how much better is RED compare to Force , What's the Differences between them ? is it worth to go with RED ? if there are significant deferent ,let's say RED is much better than Force , i wouldn't much drop a few bucks more for RED at all .. your help is much appreciated !!! thank you in advance ..

If your on a budget go with force. If money is no issue, Red. Neither is going to make you faster.

Aaron_Kellogg
09-08-2012, 07:20 PM
brah,

no one ever lost a race cuz they were riding force shifters.

this

JeffS
09-08-2012, 08:46 PM
For me, force is pointless.

Rival or Red.

tomminator855
09-08-2012, 09:39 PM
well thank you all for advises, i've bought Force Shifter ,Force RD , Force Brakeset ,Force Crankset , and last one is Red FD .At least i got the RED FD as part of my Components :banana:

pdmtong
09-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I guess I'll be "that guy"

of all the red componenets, the one NOT to get is the FD. the ti plate is too soft and shifting is not crisp.

look at the pro peloton...even they use a force FD in an otherwise all red group