PDA

View Full Version : Frame Pumps...

Nooch
09-06-2012, 09:21 AM
... are AWESOME!

Kind of kicking myself for having bought into the whole co2 thing.. i mean, co2 is great, and yes, it's a bit faster, but the pain I get spending $4.99 (what my LBS charges for a CO2 cartridge) when I get a flat, not to mention the $6.99 tube, is just too much!

Picked up a topeak a few months ago, thankfully haven't had the need to use it until this morning, worked like a champ. Filled quickly and to what my thumb said was around 100-110 psi and could have easily kept going had I not had to be home to get to work.

Best part is I can free up room in my saddle bag for a second tube now, instead of worrying about the CO2..

and I don't even have to buy a seperate one for every bike, as it's so easy to move between (whereas I have a co2 inflator in each saddle bag so I can grab and go..)

okay, that's all.. :hello:

AngryScientist
09-06-2012, 09:27 AM
i agree!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EUoTxdV_jVg/T_iy2yiCM3I/AAAAAAAAAg8/I6tQ_xQjHic/s640/IMG_0809.JPG

rice rocket
09-06-2012, 09:41 AM
CO2 is a little over $1/each if you get them from Amazon. Nashbar just blew out 2-packs of CO2 for peanuts as well. I have probably close to 100 of them stashed away, it's not like they go bad.

My front triangle is small enough, putting a regular sized frame pump up in there will make it impossible to remove water bottles. And those teenie weightweenie pumps are terrible.

Ken Robb
09-06-2012, 09:42 AM
... are AWESOME!
. i mean, co2 is great, and yes, it's a bit faster, but the pain I get spending $4.99 (what my LBS charges for a CO2 cartridge)

okay, that's all.. :hello:

There are places where you can buy CO2 cartridges for a lot less. Sporting goods stores (don't buy Daisy brand because they have oil in them to lube gun barrels), many big-box stores, restaurant supply stores.

OTOH if you have an inflator that requires threaded cartridges your choices are more limited.

I use CO2 and frame pumps. When it's hot and sunny I love the speed and ease of CO2. If I can sit in the shade at a coffee shop drinking and pumping it's not to bad. If I ever get a second flat on the same ride and have no more CO2 (never happened to me-----yet) I will be ruing not having a pump.

DHallerman
09-06-2012, 10:01 AM
And those teenie weightweenie pumps are terrible.

This is almost like a helmet "debate," but these pumps...

http://www.lezyne.com/media/k2/items/cache/787ae9ec9023a82f5aa7e4c1a64f73cb_S.jpg

...the Lezyne Road Drive (http://www.lezyne.com/products/hand-pumps/high-pressure#!Road-Drive) are excellent to use. Lots of air, not hard to use, mount easily next to a water bottle cage.

Dave, who also likes Topeak or Zefal full-size frame pumps for the bikes he has where they fit under the top tube

Lewis Moon
09-06-2012, 10:04 AM
I just use an old frame fit Silca. Never really found anything I wanted more.

bobswire
09-06-2012, 10:14 AM
That Rapha video with Hampsten cruising the roads around Santa Rosa, I noticed he uses a frame pump too, what a fred......:rolleyes:
http://www.rapha.cc/santa-rosa-with-andy-hampsten

Lewis Moon
09-06-2012, 10:21 AM
That Rapha video with Hampsten cruising the roads around Santa Rosa, I noticed he uses a frame pump too, what a fred......:rolleyes:
http://www.rapha.cc/santa-rosa-with-andy-hampsten

Man...Hamstain's looking old....must mean I am too :eek:

Fixed
09-06-2012, 10:25 AM
I have found in the past a frame pump can come in handy for other things besides pumping up a tube IMHO :)
Cheers

saab2000
09-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Zėfal HPx for decades. Not on every bike, but many.

fuzzalow
09-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Zefal HPX. All that you will ever need for inflation.

Tried CO2 and maybe I' hopelessly old school, but that dang CO2 contraption is more trouble than it's worth. There will always come a day when the road gives me more punctures than the number of cartridges I've carried to give back.

On group rides, CO2-equipped riders mark me out as a useful temporary friend. When I pump up their tire after a roadside repair, I always hand them back their unused CO2 cartridge and say "Live to flat another day". Akin to saying "Make my day" without the malevolence.

Nope, no CO2 for me.

tch
09-06-2012, 10:39 AM
...cuz I just bought my first CO2 device yesterday after over 30 years of pumps. I had to pump a flat last week for my wife, and while it all went well, I thought "there must be some faster/easier way".

I've got a pretty good mini-pump (Topeak Morphe), but I just got tired of stroking....

bobswire
09-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Charging up a climb,navigating a fast twisting descend, cruising rollers,pumping up a tube by hand after a flat are all part and parcel from the Zen of cycling.

http://i48.tinypic.com/34z0pzs.jpg

bluesea
09-06-2012, 11:36 AM
I may as well post it here--my 2.5 yo med Road Drive can only pump to about 80 now, as opposd to 95 before. Emailed Lezyne about a rebuild but no response. It was used to pump less than 15 tires, most for riders of female persuasion.

Bought a lg Road Drive for a good price at Amazon.

vqdriver
09-06-2012, 11:40 AM
i guess i'm the only one to carry the second wind pump. co2 cartridge in the saddle bag and the pump for just in case. all in one device that works as advertised. i haven't found a downside to this setup yet.

one thing about the pump is that i like to give the new tube a couple shots to "shape it out" before installing it. less twisting and bunching. then hit it with co2 and we're off.

93legendti
09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
I have found in the past a frame pump can come in handy for other things besides pumping up a tube IMHO :)
Cheers

You got tht right. Every now and then on my rides i come across obnoxious dogs that owners let out without a leash (illegal in our city). Why should I sprint every time an untrained beast wants to chase me?

Ken Robb
09-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Thinking more about this subject I realize if I got a second flat on a ride and had used my CO2 on flat #1 I would be out of tubes any way. OTOH I suppose a small patch kit could be cheap insurance and not take up as much space as a second tube.

teleguy57
09-06-2012, 11:45 AM
I like mine old school -- tucked along the left seatstay....

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BTLsBRDo6EldXE1cnzGT0tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BTLsBRDo6EldXE1cnzGT0tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

chwupper
09-06-2012, 11:46 AM
I may as well post it here--my 2.5 yo med Road Drive can only pump to about 80 now, as opposd to 95 before. Emailed Lezyne about a rebuild but no response. It was used to pump less than 15 tires, most for riders of female persuasion.

Interesting -- I just ordered a Lezyne at my LBS yesterday. We'll see how it lasts.

I'd rather use CO2 cartridges to make seltzer.

thwart
09-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Although good support at the valve stem area, especially with vigorous pumping, is of utmost importance... lest this happen to you.

Out for a ride with my wife last night, and collected a roofing nail (psssssst, click, click, click.... :crap:). That tube was trashed.

Hadn't had a flat for awhile, and probably three yrs since one with a frame pump equipped bike. So my technique was a little rusty.

Too much flex, and (important) things break off.

She laughed a bit before offering to bike back home (luckily only a few miles) and get the car... :help:

Lewis Moon
09-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Although good support at the valve stem area, especially with vigorous pumping, is of utmost importance... lest this happen to you.

Out for a ride with my wife last night, and collected a roofing nail (psssssst, click, click, click.... :crap:). That tube was trashed.

Hadn't had a flat for awhile, and probably three yrs since one with a frame pump equipped bike. So my technique was a little rusty.

Too much flex, and (important) things break off.

She laughed a bit before offering to bike back home (luckily only a few miles) and get the car... :help:

Hold the pump in your fingers and put your thumb over the tire...off the bike.

flydhest
09-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Charging up a climb,navigating a fast twisting descend, cruising rollers,pumping up a tube by hand after a flat are all part and parcel from the Zen of cycling.

Dude, do you realize your bike is upside down in that picture?

thwart
09-06-2012, 01:17 PM
...off the bike.
;)

bluesea
09-06-2012, 01:38 PM
You got tht right. Every now and then on my rides i come across obnoxious dogs that owners let out without a leash (illegal in our city). Why should I sprint every time an untrained beast wants to chase me?

Because you could be arrested for assaulting a dumb dog owner? :banana:

That looks like my 90's Patagonia butt pak.

mack
09-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Zėfal HPx for decades. Not on every bike, but many.

yeah......how many co2 fumbles have you witnessed?
I usually keep the snickers on the DL, hang back......then casually offer my hpX.

Louis
09-06-2012, 04:23 PM
...the Lezyne Road Drive (http://www.lezyne.com/products/hand-pumps/high-pressure#!Road-Drive) are excellent to use. Lots of air, not hard to use, mount easily next to a water bottle cage.

+1

I've just switched from a full-size "under the TT" Blackburn to a Lezyne Road Drive in my jersey pocket. It's light enough that I never notice it, and I like the fact that it has the hose, so I won't overload the valve stem. Have not yet had to use it, but at 10.2" long and 96g, so far I really like it.

chwupper
09-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Okay, Lezyne lovers -- this afternoon, I got the Pressure drive pump I ordered from my LBS. Seems to be excellent quality. But I ask: have any of you really pumped a tire up to 120psi (its max) with it?

I tried it out when I got home. Deflated a tire and pumped it up again -- I lost count at 100+ pumps. Got weary of pumping a bit later. Checked the pressure: 90psi. Which I'm basically fine with, but.... At what point do you all say "good enough" (or words to that effect)?

charliedid
09-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Bought a lg Road Drive for a good price at Amazon.

Hell, that's a bargain if you bought it just to pick up chicks.

Louis
09-12-2012, 06:19 PM
In an "emergency" situation (a flat on the road, as opposed to checking the pressure at home) I think anything above 75 psi is acceptable, but I never really know what I'm getting, and haven't bother to really check. It all comes down to what I feel under my thumb. Just barely a little tire deflection or nothing at all is probably 100 psi, and way more than I need after a flat. Kind of mushy is not good enough. A bit of deflection, is probably just right, but more than I really need to finish a ride.

"A bit of deflection" is what I look for when I check at home before a ride - if that's what I get I ride. If it's below that, I grab the floor pump and take it up to 95-100 psi, and go. Recently I've been going about a week or two between top-offs.

Have not yet had the need to use my new Road Drive, but I think they claim 160 psi, which is way, way, way more than what I'll ever need.

bluesea
09-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Hell, that's a bargain if you bought it just to pick up chicks.

Boom bada bing

I'll have to say the medium becomes psychologically unobtrusive after a while, but not sure about the large yet. If I can get 5psi more it'll be worth it, although the 95psi from the med. is enough to carry on the ride.

GuyGadois
09-12-2012, 07:42 PM
I've never been able to reason buying bottle air from China, shipping it over the big ocean, trucking it to the bike store, buying it, using it and then throwing it away. Seems so counter to the cycling culture.

I have a nice Blackburn frame pump on the commute (lifetime warranty) and a Lezyne for more racy bikes.

GG

rice rocket
09-12-2012, 08:15 PM
So instead you buy two pumps, made in China, that are infinitely more complex than a tiny steel canister?:fight:

charliedid
09-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Boom bada bing

I'll have to say the medium becomes psychologically unobtrusive after a while, but not sure about the large yet. If I can get 5psi more it'll be worth it, although the 95psi from the med. is enough to carry on the ride.

Yeah if I can safely ride the bike after fixing a flat that's all that matters. 65lbs does it for me to get home or some other place to top it off.

Chicks never know how much air pressure I have anyway

khjr
09-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I've got an old HPX that I'd like to put on my Soma, but it doesn't have a pump peg. Anyone got any clever ideas for attaching the pump to the frame? Obviously duct tape etc. would work, but I'm looking for something elegant. I have considered drilling/tapping a hole into the head tube and inserting a socket head screw, but I'm a little concerned about rust.

Louis
09-12-2012, 09:30 PM
A zip tie (they are available in tons of colors and sizes) makes a good pump peg.

Dekonick
09-12-2012, 10:14 PM
i agree!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EUoTxdV_jVg/T_iy2yiCM3I/AAAAAAAAAg8/I6tQ_xQjHic/s640/IMG_0809.JPG

I like your bike!

GuyGadois
09-13-2012, 12:39 AM
So instead you buy two pumps, made in China, that are infinitely more complex than a tiny steel canister?:fight:

But they are not one and done. They'll last for years. I'm guessing there are a whole lot more canisters in landfills than frame pumps. Just a wild, uneducated guess. :butt:

Jeff N.
09-13-2012, 08:13 AM
All my bikes have a Zefal HPX and a few have a Topeak. One tire lever and two tubes in the seat pack. Works for me. Jeff N.

mack
09-13-2012, 08:34 AM
I run the zefal hpX on four bikes, yeah I should probably sell one......

Only one frame has a pump peg, the other three do not and I like to add a wide velcro pump strap to all, pump peg or not. It's all good.

malcolm
09-13-2012, 08:48 AM
I've not carried a full size frame pump in years but always used zefal back in the day. If memory serves they rattled like hell over rough surfaces. Is this still true? The old under the top tube zefal would get a tire right up though with a minimum of strokes

mack
09-13-2012, 09:34 AM
I've not carried a full size frame pump in years but always used zefal back in the day. If memory serves they rattled like hell over rough surfaces. Is this still true? The old under the top tube zefal would get a tire right up though with a minimum of strokes

I do my share of unpaved surfaces and encounter very minimal, but generally, no rattle with velcro strap IMO.

pinoymamba
09-13-2012, 12:07 PM
This is almost like a helmet "debate," but these pumps...

http://www.lezyne.com/media/k2/items/cache/787ae9ec9023a82f5aa7e4c1a64f73cb_S.jpg

Dave, who also likes Topeak or Zefal full-size frame pumps for the bikes he has where they fit under the top tube

My pump of choice. I had one without the extension hose, that was horrendous.

DHallerman
09-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Rattle?

One reason whether or not full-size frame pumps mounted under the top tube rattle is simply the position of the pump peg on the head tube.

That is, if the pump peg is a bit on the high side, the pump itself touches the top tube or can touch it when the roads are rough.

However, a pump peg on the low side can keep the pump itself away from the top tube.

My perspective on this: the same brand/model of bike, different years (Ibis Spanky), where on one the pump rattles and on another where it don't. I measured how far below the bottom of the top tube the pump peg sat on each bike, and they differed by a few millimeters.

Dave, who also thinks when it comes to the dreaded rattle that the brand of frame pump and its condition have something to do with it too

clalor
09-13-2012, 03:21 PM
I had the problem of a rattling Topeak pump that was caused by the inside of the handle hitting the body. A little bit of electrical tape around the body to go between the two fixed that right up.