PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Mavic Cosmic Carbone

moots7
09-06-2012, 09:13 AM
I have a chance to buy a set of these, are they good wheels, any problems?
Thanks

GregL
09-06-2012, 09:51 AM
I assume you are referring to the Carbone SLs (steel spokes), not the SLRs (carbon spokes). I have a pair of 2009 Carbone SLs which have served me very well. They're not light (~1800 grams), but they are robust and hold up well in racing. They offer some aerodynamic advantage, though likely not as much as the newer generation of wide rim aero wheels from Hed, Zipp, Enve, and Bontrager. Once up to speed, they seem to hold their velocity well. The Mavic freehub is much maligned, but is ridiculously easy to service. You can disassemble, inspect, clean, lube, and reassemble the freehub in just a few minutes. The wheels can be trued, but the tire and rim strip have to be removed first. Overall, they are a reliable racing wheel that is (IMO) a good value.

- Greg

moots7
09-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks for your observations. They want $450 with tires and cassette. So might be worth a try.

54ny77
09-06-2012, 10:42 AM
they look good, they stop as good as any normal alu. rim (i.e., no hassling with carbon-specific brake pad changes), and i assume mavic made 'em pretty aero more or less. i like mine (i have same model, same year). :)

Fixed
09-06-2012, 01:29 PM
I always wanted a set
Cheers :)