PDA

View Full Version : Thank you rider X at Philly Art Museum yesterday...

DerekB
09-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I was out yesterday riding, the beginning of the century ride I am doing Sunday. I wanted to check that GPS is working for the route, and get my legs spinning. There is a section of the bike path that has always been a little bad and very narrow, but right now it is TERRIBLE. I jumped a few holes and cracks then missed one and Psssssssst no more front tire air. "Good, I thought, I can practice fixing a flat on these clinchers that I don't ride very often" Well, I haven't ridden those wheels in so long that I forgot that I knew that they require extra long valve stems on the tubes. I found out the hard way; my stem came out of the rim only about 1/4 inch. Not enough to get the pump on, almost enough for the CO2 but not. So, I started looking for other riders and finally found someone with a patch kit. He said, "Do you just want a tube instead" I mentioned my stem problem. He said, "I have a tube with an extra long stem". So we swapped tubes (he didn't actually need longer stems for his wheels) and on I went.:banana:
So, now I know that: I need longer stems, my small pump really sucks, and after the CO2 is screwed into the valve, I have to UNSCREW the valve to let the gas in the tube.