PDA

View Full Version : OT: Oktoberfest Beer!

AngryScientist
09-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Admittedly, I am not a beer snob, or even a beer connoisseur; but to my tastes, Oktoberfest style beer is my favorite kind, contributing to the fall being my favorite season. Anyway, right about now is when the good 'fest beers are coming out. Just had a Beck's Oktoberfest at a bar last night, good stuff IMO.

what do you keep an eye out for this time of year??

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AZVdubw_A5I/TnVWABqavUI/AAAAAAAANbE/7IaBoTrLsX0/s1600/bier200310-becks-oktoberfest.jpg

parris
09-06-2012, 06:28 AM
I generally go for Saranac beers as I grew up in Utica where the brewery is. I also REALLY like that the brewery is in it's 4th or 5th generation of Matt family ownership. The beer is also not bad at all for a decent price.

Good subject:)

crownjewelwl
09-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Spaten oktoberfest

junkfood
09-06-2012, 07:51 AM
I am a fan of this one, and many others.
http://www.boulevard.com/wp-content/uploads/Brands/Brand_Bobs_47.jpg

Jake

jpw
09-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Augustiner.

jblande
09-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Augustiner.

Yes, Augustiner is superb.
Can it be easily purchased in the US?

Matt-H
09-06-2012, 08:16 AM
I agree, stick with German Oktoberfests. It just feels right. Nothing wrong with some of the domestic offerings, but typically nothing really great about them, either.

Ayinger is awesome, and I believe the brewery is still independently owned. Hacker-Pschorr is also a favorite. Paulaner and Spaten are always safe bets and easily found.

Matt-H
09-06-2012, 08:29 AM

Don't think so, but I have had it in Germany and it is excellent. Locally, we have arguably one of the best distributors in the country and while they get a couple of Augustiner's products, Oktoberfest is not one of them.

jpw
09-06-2012, 08:35 AM

Don't know. I last drank it in Munchen last September.

jblande
09-06-2012, 08:47 AM
If you enjoy a slighty stronger beer, Augustiner Maibock is my favorite beer to drink überhaupt..

goonster
09-06-2012, 08:48 AM
I agree, stick with German Oktoberfests. It just feels right.
I disagree. European lagers do not travel very well. At least I can't justify paying import prices for a product that doesn't taste the way it does da hoam.

Also, our corner of PA produces some excellent O-fest lagers: Victory and Sly Fox to name just two who do it the right way, and where the founders/brewmasters studied and apprenticed south of the Weißwurstäquator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wei%C3%9Fwurst%C3%A4quator).

BobC
09-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Sierra Nevada Tumbler

Matt-H
09-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Fresh is good, but I can't say I ever remember having an old Oktoberfest. After all, they are brewed for this season and get over here quickly.

You are right, we have some very good breweries here. Haven't had a Sly Fox Fest, but have had more than my share of Victory Fest and it is good. Don't think Troegs has one, or I haven't seen it. Personally, I'll pass on the Stoudts.

goonster
09-06-2012, 09:38 AM
they are brewed for this season and get over here quickly.
Agree with you there: of all the imports, O-fests are in the fastest lane of the supply chain.

Steve in SLO
09-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Firestone Walker Oaktoberfest. Draft only, local only. A great marzen beer.

bheight1
09-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Firestone Walker Oaktoberfest. Draft only, local only. A great marzen beer.

I haven't had a bad beer from this brewery--wish I could get a taste of the Oak!

Spicoli
09-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Hoffbrau
Warstiener
Spaten

If you like many of the Oktoberfest's out there. Try all of there Dunkels, especially Hoffbrau...beer of the GODS IMO. Very easy beer to drink.

bcm119
09-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Fresh is good, but I can't say I ever remember having an old Oktoberfest. After all, they are brewed for this season and get over here quickly.

You are right, we have some very good breweries here. Haven't had a Sly Fox Fest, but have had more than my share of Victory Fest and it is good. Don't think Troegs has one, or I haven't seen it. Personally, I'll pass on the Stoudts.
You have to choose wisely though, I've seen boxes of Paulaner o-fest from the previous year on display in some bad beer stores around this time of year. Some store managers will try to sell old stock to the unsuspecting masses right before the new stuff arrives. And O-fest gets stale pretty quick.

Liv2RideHard
09-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Spaten does it for me. In addition I usually start drinking Sam Smith this time of year.

Now I am thirsty.

Jeff N.
09-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Paulaner Oktoberfest. Hard to beat, IMO. Jeff N.

crownjewelwl
09-11-2012, 11:03 AM
for you dudes in fairfield and westchester counties, do yourself a favor and mosey over to portchester beer...it is like heaven in a warehouse

rice rocket
09-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I generally go for Saranac beers as I grew up in Utica where the brewery is. I also REALLY like that the brewery is in it's 4th or 5th generation of Matt family ownership. The beer is also not bad at all for a decent price.

Good subject:)

OT: Their pumpkin beer is pretty fantastic.

rbtmcardle
09-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Call me a poseur but Sam Adams O fest works just fine for me..

FlashUNC
09-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Call me a poseur but Sam Adams O fest works just fine for me..

+1 here. Love their seasonals.

crownjewelwl
09-11-2012, 12:55 PM
+1 here. Love their seasonals.

they are pretty good...but drinking an american oktoberfest would be akin to drinking a german IPA...not the real thing