PDA

View Full Version : strange flats

vqdriver
09-05-2012, 08:47 PM
had a buddy store his bike next to my bikes in my garage overnight. when we went out to ride the next day, my front tire and his rear were both completely flat. i didn't want to tempt fate so i just rode another bike but he pumped up before we left and, hearing no leaks, we started our ride. his bike was fine, no flats that ride.

that night, i pumped mine up as well and left it alone. checked today and it's fine as well.

really strange. anyone come across no-reason flats that don't have an obvious cause?

4Rings6Stars
09-05-2012, 08:52 PM
do you have children?

Louis
09-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Human intervention? (e.g. kids)

Edit: I see 4R beat me to it.

MattTuck
09-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Not completely flat like that, but there have been times that I am like, "huh?" and scratching my head, when the pressure is maybe 40psi, after pumping it to 90 the night before.

I attribute it to something being off with the valve and the way it was put away and when you pump it back up, it 'corrects' whatever was wrong with the valve. If it was a problem with the rubber, I think you'd have constant leaking no matter the circumstances.

thegunner
09-05-2012, 09:00 PM
clincher or tubular? latex or butyl?

if it's latex, i've found they leak no matter what (and require pumping before every ride)

vqdriver
09-05-2012, 10:39 PM
No kids in there since we put em away at night

Butyl tubes, at least on my bike, clinchers
Wierd

BumbleBeeDave
09-06-2012, 05:40 AM
I attribute it to something being off with the valve and the way it was put away and when you pump it back up, it 'corrects' whatever was wrong with the valve.

I have accidentally pumped up the tire before but neglected to tighten the small collar on the Presta valve. So when I put the valve cap on it depresses the shaft juuuuust enough to let air out. But the leak is so small it's fine for a couple of hours of riding but then overnight continues to leak and--voila!--it's flat the next day.

The really mystifying ones for me are out on the road--I stop to change the tire, run my fingers around the inside, there's no obvious leak and I can't find anything on the tire that could have punctured it. Those are the most unnerving because then I've used up my spare tube, keep riding--but worried I didn't get whatever caused it the first time and I'm gonna be stuck with another one. :eek:

BBD

rice rocket
09-06-2012, 09:49 AM
vqdriver: I had this issue when my rim strips started failing. Long story short, air pressure thinned out the rim strips at the nipple holes to the point where the tube could expand into the nipple area. It took me ~5 tubes to figure out what it was from, but maybe that's partially my stupidity and eagerness to go ride. Checking where the hole was made it pretty clear where it was coming from (rim-side of the tube).

Nooch
09-06-2012, 10:01 AM
The really mystifying ones for me are out on the road--I stop to change the tire, run my fingers around the inside, there's no obvious leak and I can't find anything on the tire that could have punctured it. Those are the most unnerving because then I've used up my spare tube, keep riding--but worried I didn't get whatever caused it the first time and I'm gonna be stuck with another one. :eek:

This is what happened to me this morning! Riding along, and all of a sudden i've got a bumpy feeling under me, get off the bike and sure enough i'm down to like 30 psi.. take the tube out, run through it, look over the tube, inflate and replace, can't find any indication of a puncture.. get home, inflate the tube to 300%, sill can't find any indication of a leak..

we'll see if the tube is flat when I get home..

Tom
09-06-2012, 10:11 AM
...unnerving because then I've used up my spare tube...
BBD

You only carry one tube?

If you need one of something you actually need two of them in case the first one breaks.

Applies to bicycles, too.

tuxbailey
09-06-2012, 10:16 AM
You only carry one tube?

If you need one of something you actually need two of them in case the first one breaks.

+1

I carry one tube but I also carry an instant patch kit for emergency.

BumbleBeeDave
09-06-2012, 10:51 AM
You only carry one tube?

Applies to bicycles, too.

I'll carry a spare bicycle with me next time I go on a ride. :D

vqdriver
09-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I'll carry a spare bicycle with me next time I go on a ride. :D

don't be glib dave. extra wheels are all that's necessary ;)