PDA

View Full Version : One of my riding groups had two wrecks in two weeks

dekindy
09-05-2012, 05:28 PM
I have been riding with my Tuesday evening riding group since Summer of 2006. Have seen many riders come and go but always a mature group of riders that were mostly well mannered and any concerns with safety were addressed immediately. As long as there is no ice and snow on the road, this group rides regular road bikes, except for some install fenders, year round and during the Winter this is at night. Except for a major wreck 4 years ago caused by a road kill just over the crest of a hill there have been no incidents.

Last week was a minor incident where a rider with a brand new bike probably stopped quicker than normal to avoid a freshly graveled road and the rider behind ran into her and snapped a derailleur hanger and a cable support. No big deal. This was about 3 miles into the ride.

Last night was a disaster. The ride leader said she observed the rider in front of her and it appeared to her he just fell over for no reason; again it was very early in the ride. She and the rider behind were able to avoid but he fell in front of the adjacent row of riders and took down two riders with him that had no time to react. The first rider behind went down the hardest and has some broken ribs and a probable separated shoulder that may require surgery. The rider behind him has a gash caused by a chain ring that took 24 stitches to close.

The rider that fell over rides 8 to 9 thousand miles per year, recently spent a week hiking in the mountains with his Son in Washington state, and had participated in a 20-minute time trial earlier in the after afternoon in an attempt to make his corporate time trial team. He also over the past year or so has had some cardiac incidents, rapid heart rates, that had durations up to 30 minutes and also occasionally exhibits respiratory, asthma type symptoms. His current financial condition and high deductible medical insurance prohibits him from having a checkup.

My inclination in the past has been to get my CPR life saving skills updated but now feel that avoiding riding with him is the best course since he does not seem to have the sense to ground himself. He must be having more symptoms than he has indicated to have an event like last night.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

jazznap
09-05-2012, 05:36 PM
I would suggest you still update your CPR skills. You never know when they will come in handy.

jds108
09-05-2012, 05:42 PM
No harm in updating CPR skills (coming from somebody that hasn't done that in 20 years...)

Hopefully somebody will talk to him and let him know that by going on these rides he won't just be endangering himself, but others as well....

And encourage him to get a checkup with a doctor! Hard to put a price on one's health!

MattTuck
09-05-2012, 06:46 PM
That sounds like an unfortunate situation for all involved.

I would have the ride leader speak to that rider privately. Let him know that several riders are concerned both for his safety and their own, during rides.

I'd suggest that he either get a check-up/stress test/etc. and get a clean bill of health or avoid riding with him.

It stinks if his condition is making everyone on the ride uneasy. If this is truly the first symptom he has had, I might cut him some slack. Hope he is ok.

BCS
09-05-2012, 06:57 PM
The rider that fell over rides 8 to 9 thousand miles per year, recently spent a week hiking in the mountains with his Son in Washington state, and had participated in a 20-minute time trial earlier in the after afternoon in an attempt to make his corporate time trial team. He also over the past year or so has had some cardiac incidents, rapid heart rates, that had durations up to 30 minutes and also occasionally exhibits respiratory, asthma type symptoms. His current financial condition and high deductible medical insurance prohibits him from having a checkup.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

The rider's priorities are effed-up. Biking and hiking aren't free. He needs a stress test and a Holter. I would charge him less than what a (nice)pair of tubular tires costs.

dekindy
09-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Spoke to ride leader in person this evening. She is not absolutely certain he did not hit a wheel but her interpretation of what she saw is that he blacked out momentarily. Also I am not the only member of the group to express apprehensions about riding with the guy until he has a medical evaluation.