PDA

View Full Version : Shimano R650 vs Tektro R539 brakes (deep drop)

GRAVELBIKE
09-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Need 47/57 sidepulls, and it's down to these two. I know the Tektro has the fatty-friendly Q/R, but since I'm running Campy levers, that feature might not be necessary.

Is there a marked difference in stiffness, smoothness, etc, or should I just make the decision on aesthetics/price?

(And yes, 57mm calipers are really "standard" reach.)

dave thompson
09-05-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm using the Tektros on my custom Milholland and find them very predictable with excellent modulation and power. I use KoolStop pads too.

AngryScientist
09-05-2012, 12:51 PM
i had the tektros on my winter fixed bike for a few seasons, stopping power was just fine with kool stop pads. the issue i did have though was how easily and quickly the hardware corroded. all of the chromed steel bits rusted quickly and really looked like crap. other than that, they were cool.

GRAVELBIKE
09-05-2012, 12:56 PM
i had the tektros on my winter fixed bike for a few seasons, stopping power was just fine with kool stop pads. the issue i did have though was how easily and quickly the hardware corroded. all of the chromed steel bits rusted quickly and really looked like crap. other than that, they were cool.

Thanks. Shimano's hardware is generally quite good, so I'm leaning in that direction. Same with their pivots, etc.

dave thompson
09-05-2012, 01:11 PM
There's Tektros and there's Tektros. The cheaper versions will rust/corrode fairly quickly but it's been my experience with the 538 and 539 models, they don't. My Milholland is my tourer/commuter/rain bike and the Tektro 538 brakes on it have no rust/corrosion issues.

DHallerman
09-05-2012, 02:22 PM
I know the Tektro has the fatty-friendly Q/R, but since I'm running Campy levers, that feature might not be necessary.

Necessary? perhaps not

Very useful? for sure

I love the combo of brake Q/R and Campy shifter Q/R to really open up a brake's arms for a fatter tire.

All gain and no loss, it seems to me.

Mike748
09-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I have the 538's and the Shimano 650's. I find the Shimanos are MUCH stiffer and have better feel all around. I would highly recommend them.

The Tektros are adequate but have noticeable flex (I'm using old Dia Compe PC levers) and the QR mechanism is kinda flimsy but does open wide.

BTW I am running Koolstop salmon on both.

The Shimano 650 with Campy 10 levers opens up enough for my Grand Bois 28's which measure about 29 on the A23 rim. If you are wider than that you may want the Tektro.

GRAVELBIKE
09-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I have the 538's and the Shimano 650's. I find the Shimanos are MUCH stiffer and have better feel all around. I would highly recommend them.

The Tektros are adequate but have noticeable flex (I'm using old Dia Compe PC levers) and the QR mechanism is kinda flimsy but does open wide.

BTW I am running Koolstop salmon on both.

The Shimano 650 with Campy 10 levers opens up enough for my Grand Bois 28's which measure about 29 on the A23 rim. If you are wider than that you may want the Tektro.

Thanks for the info (re: flex). I'd be willing to deflate the tire slightly if it meant better braking/feel.

559Rando
09-05-2012, 05:16 PM
I haven't ridden the Shimanos, but the Tektros are great. I have them on my Schwinn Voyageur 11.8.

The other brake I'd look at is the Velo Orange Grand Cru, but it's pricey!

kevinvc
02-06-2016, 01:51 PM
i have Tektro 539 brakes (57mm reach) on my Soma ES and am not enthralled with their performance, even with Kool Stop pads. I'm considering trying out either Shimano R451 or R650. I've searched high and low, but I can't find a direct comparison between the two or anything that says exactly what the difference is besides the finish. The R650 is twice the price, so if it's not worth the extra money to me if it's just cosmetic.

I guess my first question is whether there's any reason to believe either of these would be noticeably better than the Tektros. Also, does anyone know if there are any functional differences between the two Shimano models that would affect either their performance or durability?

bobswire
02-06-2016, 02:50 PM
I tried all three , Tektro R 539,TRP R957 and the Shimano R-650 on my Soma Stanyan, I do lots and lots of climbing and stop and go riding here in San Francisco and settled on the Shimano R-650 for all around performance for my uses, not as much bling as the TRP's but better modulation than the Tektro.

http://i59.tinypic.com/20m994.jpg

GParkes
02-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Gravelbike - I have a set of Tektro 539 I was putting on a friends single speed and she didn't like them - long story. There isn't 5 miles on them. If you think you want them, PM me. Really, I just want them out of the spare parts bin.