PDA

View Full Version : front or rear for basket/rack/box

stackie
10-02-2005, 03:11 PM
I've been dreaming up this around town bike, go in any conditions, able to schlep some stuff. My original idea was to mount rear rack and have a box of sorts on it for some light grocery shopping, etc. But, I have been seeing more box type carriers mounted on the front. I would probably do either or, not both.

Can anyone explain the reasoning for this? Is it better to add the weight to the front of the bike? Or better to see your stuff and feel confident that you didn't lose your cargo on that last corner? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jon

Bradford
10-02-2005, 03:41 PM
I've done a lot of touring and have ridden in about every imaginable configuration. Low weight is better on the front wheels than on the back if you only need to use one end or the other, but I don't like high weight at all on the front.

That means given the choice, if you only need to load one end of the bike, you would be better off with weight in panniers on low rider racks on the front. That configuration balances the bike better than weight on the back only. The worst place to put any weight at all is high in the front on a front rack over the wheel. I've done this before with low weight and it can really hurt the stability of the front of the bike.

OK, now, with all of that (sound) science and theory being understood, what to I do? Small stuff goes on the rear rack in the rack bag or with a cargo net holding it, big stuff goes in the rear panniers. Why? Because it is easier and I rarely have enough weight to worry about it. If it gets to heavy (I'd say over 20 lbs) you will start to feel the back end getting sluggish. Anything under that will be fine 90% of the time. If I were doing a light tour I’d go with front low riders, rear rack bag, and no rear panniers.

Fixed
10-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Bro get a back rack and zip tie a milk crate to it and there you go i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

stackie
10-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Bradford, I'm not really planning to do any touring, just around the town, so I taking your advice as schlep the stuff on the back.

Fixed, sorry, have an awesome wine box that will be polyurethaned and even have a hinged lid. But, it sounds like the vote is again for the back.

Thanks,

Jon