PDA

View Full Version : Never Experienced "The Perfect Bike"

Matt Barkley
02-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Have you?

We all could go down the list of all the bikes we owned, or at least ridden extensively, but within that list would there be the perfect bike - experience? (COMPLETE BIKE, ie f/f&parts)

Within my list of I'd say approx. 8 bikes which got at least some abuse over at least a year or at least 4000 miles - I'd have to say what came closest was a Bianchi Boron XL 57cm. (tig-welded steel) with all new D/A 9spd and (Mavic Experts)and various wheels.

Why this bike? I had never owned a brand new from the ground-up frameset with brand new kit all new all from the beginning. That frameset was light, nimble and fast - and the group worked perfectly! I have to say: It was the experience of all new equipment and the joy and confidence that gave me!!

Why was it not perfect? It could have cornered better (with me - my body hanging out with Michelein Axial Pros - yikes! - I crashed several times - all left hand corners) and it lacked the true hand-made and beauty / originality of a few others out there. It was not perfect.

What was/is your perfect / near perfect ride, and why?

Smiley
02-23-2004, 08:17 PM
too bad you never built up and rode the C-III I busted my butt to get you under warranty. That may have blown you away.

Matt Barkley
02-23-2004, 08:38 PM
OK OK OK Smiley! I decided to exclude my "2nd" closest to perfect bike which is a tie (Ha Ha!) among three of which was that Serotta Colorado TG that you absolutely helped me get. So, more than a few "Thanks" to you and your undisputedly good cause of getting a bunch of guys and gals on bikes and out for the ride of the rest of their life. Thanks Smiley!!

That TG must have had 25,000 miles and a dozen 1st places on it a few countires too... That was one awesome bike. I just never had anywhere close to anything like new parts on it!! Abuse! I remember training coming out of Suasalito and having the FRONT chainrings skipping!!! Not fun!

Smiley - you didn't answer the question, "Have you experienced the perfect bike?"

PS - The C III you helped me get, I really think would have been nice. A little heavy - would I have cared??? Also: (I ordered too long a top tube - 57.5 though, experimentation, you know, that is what I do) One of the nicest paint jobs too, Porsche Bebe with Competiton white/yellow border decals. Sweet! Hey, who wouldn't love to sell Serottas for a living?????!:cool:

bulliedawg
02-24-2004, 06:08 AM
I dare say the first really nice bike I ever owned -- and still own -- is perfect. It's my Fat Chance Yo Eddy. It's in the garage with circa 1994 XT parts, a Manitou 4 fork, and Specilized tires collecting dust. But as far as mountain bikes go, it is perfect.

I never get to do any mountain biking anymore. It's just too easy to ride out my driveway and ride for miles and miles on the rural roads around here. But I keep the Eddy because it's a reminder of all that's great about bicycles and cycling culture. And if I ever move somewhere where mountain biking is more self evident, I will blow the dust off it, and get some updated parts.

Smiley
02-24-2004, 06:20 AM
My perfect bike could have been an Ottrott with a DKS rear end , I am so convinced of this fact I am pursuing getting one of the few previously owned bikes that are out there.
In the mean time its hard for me to argue against my Hor's Categorie, my wife wanted to buy me an Ottrott but I refused because it would not be as nice as my current ride. Give me the DKS rear on any bike and I am very content.

Climb01742
02-24-2004, 07:28 AM
a perfect bike might be tough to say. but perfect rides, yes. a day when your body, your bike, the weather and the meshed perfectly...that happens. but even with a bike i love, there are days when my body just feels funky, or the roads i've chosen to ride don't quite suit me, or just something happens. in cycling, perfection has so many parts; to get all those parts lined up right...tough.

mavic1010
02-25-2004, 01:00 AM
the CSI...the only bike that has made me smile after every ride....

so a perfect ride would be a perfectly fitted CSI (team paint scheme) with f1 fork, riding behind Dr. Stackpole, cuz there is nothing like riding behind a man who rides a 62cm frame....

Too Tall
02-25-2004, 05:48 AM
...until you've ridden behind a man with a 64cm frame ;)

This is easy. It is and always will be a Raleigh DL-1 I purchased new in college as a get around bike. The shop doood was fresh from Raleigh school and showed me how to care a feed for this thang. (My Hetchins was way to nice to chain to a fence post) The DL1 has HUGE 28" wheels, solid rod brakes, Brooks saddle, Sturmey Archer 3 speed and a proper upright position.

Damn! that bike rides like a Buick and is rugged. This is the typical Brit Bobby's bike and was orig. to the military. That always made me wonder why the brakes were so uh conceptual (read don't work at all).

It is very quirky to work on as the fittings are British Standard also known as Wentworth and both brakes are solid rod from the hand lever to the brake block. Luckily the SnapOn guy sells British Standard...nobdy else will buy them. It was pretty funny, the SnapOn guy went right for these wrenches and gave me a good deal. I'm thinking that his franchise included these on this initial purchase as a sort of hazing ritual.

Setting up new brake pads involves custom grinding the brake block surface to mate with the rim. Oh, the rim....it is sort of "U" shaped as the brakes come up from below to meet the rim.

The gearing is a leg breaker and I have a 22(?) cog for (cough cough) winter gears ;)

I still have my DL1 and use it for grocery gittin'.

Here are a few links to pics. I found on the web.

http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/dl1a.jpe
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/dl1b.jpe
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/dl1c.jpe
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/dl1d.jpe

Kevin
02-25-2004, 06:39 PM
My first bike without training wheels. Nothing beats your first bike.

Kevin