PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Campy chain (and possibly other) questions

bluesea
09-04-2012, 06:10 PM
After close to 3 yr with SRAM, I've decided. Never has a Shimano road group and am intrigued with 9000, but the timing is not right and the option will still exist. Also had '95 and '05 Record Ergo. So...

- KMC 11sp chain or Campy?
- KMC 11sp Missing Link with Campy chain or no?

AngryScientist
09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Either is just fine. If you prefer a quick link i would just get the kmc, i'm using one now and its been trouble free.

coylifut
09-04-2012, 10:49 PM
if you are a strong rider. I mean you routinely blast up 2 minute long 15% grades out of the saddle, don't mess with links. they start popping and pinging especially when in the big ring. Yes, the tool is super expensive. However, you can still go to your local Campy pro shop where you can buy and they'll expertly install the proper Campy chain that specifically pairs with your group.

Flying Pigeon
09-04-2012, 10:54 PM
KMC 11sp chains for the win. Cheaper, quieter, lighter... and never had one break on me, unlike Record 11.

Flying Pigeon
09-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Direct experience says:

KMC quick link > peened Campagnolo pin

coylifut
09-04-2012, 11:08 PM
everyone's experience is valuable. I've had the opposite experience. I had a KMC chain fail sprinting up a hill. I can't blame it on the link. The outside plate split in half. I went over the bars flipped in the air and landed on my back. However, I'm a chain breaker.

Good to hear you've won some races on the KMC. It's always nice to win. Keep it up.

bluesea
09-04-2012, 11:11 PM
As usual the wealth of knowledge here is invaluable.

oldpotatoe
09-05-2012, 08:04 AM
After close to 3 yr with SRAM, I've decided. Never has a Shimano road group and am intrigued with 9000, but the timing is not right and the option will still exist. Also had '95 and '05 Record Ergo. So...

- KMC 11sp chain or Campy?
- KMC 11sp Missing Link with Campy chain or no?

-Both work but a Campag chain with a IRD snaplink is the best solution, IMHO.

-See above..KMC is 'one use'...IRD is multi use(can unhook and rehook it).

Have to say it again. Broken Campag chains, IME, are mostly those who take a used chain, one that has been installed, break it apart for say, cleaning, then reattach it with a new pin, only a new pin, in a side plate that has had a pin in it..BAD IDEA and will result in a failed chain. Either Campag 10s or 11s...

I get calls for '10s and 11s' pins all the time. I don't sell 'em because of the above. Even 'most' bike shops, here in the republic, even some Campagnolo 'pro' shops don't follow this advice.

And then then carp about broken chains...