PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys taking creatine?

MattTuck
09-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Long story, guys, but I appreciate your input. I'm about 215 now, down from a high near 227 earlier this year. Biking and diet are primary drivers for the loss, and I am hoping to keep the biking up until end of November.

I know that no matter how good my intentions, it's going to be hard to bike during the winter. I've tried in the past, have all the gear, it just is really hard to go out on the bike in the winter. I wish I was more apt to bike, but my outdoor goals for the winter months are going to include more hiking, snow shoeing and maybe a few 30ish mile rides per month. I do hope to have more structured indoor trainer workouts, in which I'll mostly be doing sprint intervals to keep in biking shape over the winter.

So, acknowledging that I'm not going to be biking through the winter, I've recently started lifting, in an effort to build some muscle to increase fat burning. Also, this is just generally good to supplement a non-load bearing activity like cycling with strength training.

Before any of you start worrying about me 'bulking up', don't worry. I've still got about 35-40 pounds to go down to 175, which would put me in good 'cyclist shape' -- and I know I can't do it with diet alone over the winter. And I'd rather carry a little more lean muscle during next season than fat.

That said, Matt Fitzgerald's book "Racing Weight" suggests creatine might be a good supplement for 2 reasons, 1) more explosive sprint workouts on the bike, can actually increase cardio fitness, and 2) more intense workouts provide more muscle development, which can burn more calories. So, combine those on the bike reasons with more muscle development from lifting, and maybe it's worth it to try.

Anyone have any experience with taking Creatine? He said you have to take it with sugar, as it needs insulin to be incorporated into your muscles, so hopefully the increased calories in the sugar aren't so much that it offsets the benefits I'm seeking.

Any tips would be useful! Not looking to get huge, I'm not sure if you can 'just take a little' creatine, or if you have to really commit to make it worthwhile.

*Ladies are welcome to contribute too, I didn't mean to imply that only males know about creatine. It was just a figure of speech.

verticaldoug
09-04-2012, 05:07 PM
I used creatine in the late 90's while sport climbing. Whether it is a placebo effect or not, you definitely feel like you have more explosive power. The issue I had with it was cramping. If I was bouldering or doing short sport climbs, the explosive power was great. However, for more endurance climbs, once I became dehydrated, I'd developed some heinous cramps.

If you really want to pump some iron, try it. No sense in using it unless you really want to work hard.

JLNK
09-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I have used creatine. I had capsules, 750mg creatine monohydrate. I am 6'4'' 215lbs. I would take 15 or so capsules for a 2 hour ride. Drank lots of fluids but I never cramped. I would use the creatine maybe 2 to 3 times per week. Taking it gave an energy boost, just able to go harder for longer periods on the bike. I never measured this tho, this is just what it felt like. No real energy crash after the ride. What happened though is that in the night my hands would swell, and then the swelling would go down in the morning. So, stopped with the creatine and use arginine & ornithine 500/250 capsules. Not quite the energy boost but pretty close and no hand swelling. Just my experience.

Louis
09-04-2012, 06:43 PM
I've tried in the past, have all the gear, it just is really hard to go out on the bike in the winter. I wish I was more apt to bike, but my outdoor goals for the winter months are going to include more hiking, snow shoeing and maybe a few 30ish mile rides per month. I do hope to have more structured indoor trainer workouts, in which I'll mostly be doing sprint intervals to keep in biking shape over the winter.

Get a Concept II Model D indoor rower (http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-d)

Not as boring as you'd think, and one heck of a workout. Perfect for winter cross training.

Made down the road from you in Morrisville, VT - you can go pick it up yourself. The company has Thayer School connections going all the way back to the early '80's when I was there.

http://www.concept2.com/files/images/indoor-rowers/model-d/slides/paul.jpg

false_Aest
09-04-2012, 08:07 PM
i don't think i'd use creatine for gains with cycling.

i've tried a few forms of it and found that i'm always thirsty, gain water weight and explosive moves were helped. unfortunately, the weight gain was a big negative on the bike and the explosive moves weren't exactly translated to cycling -- how many standing starts or 10 sec on/60 sec off sprints are you gonna do?

i did find that my deadlift and squat increased at a steeper rate while i was on creatine than when I was off. unfortunately i can't be 100% sure that it was because of the creatine or if I was just more motivated than normal.

Also, unless things have changed in the past few years, you don't continue taking creatine for weeks and weeks. you load, maintain, get off, and repeat. its a 3-5 week cycle IIRC.
----
best supplement routine i found (w/out breaking the bank)

add 4 egg whites to breakfast + BCAA + green tea extract
whey pre-workout + caffeine
whey post-workout + OJ or other juice
dinner + chicken + BCAA

I was averaging about 1.5g of protein to 1lb of bodyweight. New research suggests DOMS is from micro tears in your muscles, adding protein at various times throughout the day helps get you through the pain faster.

false_Aest
09-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Brah,

I think the best things you could do for yourself with weight training + cycling is to learn how to squat + deadlift.

From that, add compound + whole body lifts. If you have to use a machine, use it unilaterally (e.g. set of right hamstring curls then left hamstring curls).

Having a plan set up before you go to the gym, reducing recovery time between sets (mine are 30sec, 45sec, 60sec, 75sec. 5 sets/add 15 sec per rest) and super-setting (bis/tris, push-up/squat/pull-up) helps a more than you'll expect.

Supplementation will help but better to worry about form and repetition first.

MattTuck
09-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Sounds like good advice.

I do some arm stuff, lat pull downs, curls, push ups, triceps push down, etc.

full body, I do a complex: dead lift, upright row, then get my arms under the bar and push up over my head, back down until the bar is on my back shoulders, then a squat, then back up with the bar, then down.

Brah,

I think the best things you could do for yourself with weight training + cycling is to learn how to squat + deadlift.

From that, add compound + whole body lifts. If you have to use a machine, use it unilaterally (e.g. set of right hamstring curls then left hamstring curls).

Having a plan set up before you go to the gym, reducing recovery time between sets (mine are 30sec, 45sec, 60sec, 75sec. 5 sets/add 15 sec per rest) and super-setting (bis/tris, push-up/squat/pull-up) helps a more than you'll expect.

Supplementation will help but better to worry about form and repetition first.

CDM
09-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Find a crossfit box near you and join. Follow instructions and learn the form. Learn about mobility, they will teach you, and follow their paleo nutrition plan as best as you can. You will get into phenomenal shape which for me transferred directly to cycling. The group setting is very motivational too.
You can go a long way toward your cycling goals by spring if you start now!

false_Aest
09-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Sounds like good advice.

I do some arm stuff, lat pull downs, curls, push ups, triceps push down, etc.

full body, I do a complex: dead lift, upright row, then get my arms under the bar and push up over my head, back down until the bar is on my back shoulders, then a squat, then back up with the bar, then down.

good start fo sho.

Don't let the complex move hinder your squat and DL weight. Also don't forget about the 2.5lb plates. When I get back to the gym in early August I add weight every week until I plateau. Drop back 25lbs for the next week and then start adding weight again.

Take a picture of yourself early on in the lifting phase. You'll see some significant differences by week 6. Pretty awesome.

oldpotatoe
09-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Long story, guys, but I appreciate your input. I'm about 215 now, down from a high near 227 earlier this year. Biking and diet are primary drivers for the loss, and I am hoping to keep the biking up until end of November.

I know that no matter how good my intentions, it's going to be hard to bike during the winter. I've tried in the past, have all the gear, it just is really hard to go out on the bike in the winter. I wish I was more apt to bike, but my outdoor goals for the winter months are going to include more hiking, snow shoeing and maybe a few 30ish mile rides per month. I do hope to have more structured indoor trainer workouts, in which I'll mostly be doing sprint intervals to keep in biking shape over the winter.

So, acknowledging that I'm not going to be biking through the winter, I've recently started lifting, in an effort to build some muscle to increase fat burning. Also, this is just generally good to supplement a non-load bearing activity like cycling with strength training.

Before any of you start worrying about me 'bulking up', don't worry. I've still got about 35-40 pounds to go down to 175, which would put me in good 'cyclist shape' -- and I know I can't do it with diet alone over the winter. And I'd rather carry a little more lean muscle during next season than fat.

That said, Matt Fitzgerald's book "Racing Weight" suggests creatine might be a good supplement for 2 reasons, 1) more explosive sprint workouts on the bike, can actually increase cardio fitness, and 2) more intense workouts provide more muscle development, which can burn more calories. So, combine those on the bike reasons with more muscle development from lifting, and maybe it's worth it to try.

Anyone have any experience with taking Creatine? He said you have to take it with sugar, as it needs insulin to be incorporated into your muscles, so hopefully the increased calories in the sugar aren't so much that it offsets the benefits I'm seeking.

Any tips would be useful! Not looking to get huge, I'm not sure if you can 'just take a little' creatine, or if you have to really commit to make it worthwhile.

*Ladies are welcome to contribute too, I didn't mean to imply that only males know about creatine. It was just a figure of speech.

Got rollers for the winter?

A fixie on rollers is hard to beat for burning calories and making the time pass more quickly. Put on Stars and Watercarriers or a Sunday in Hell...and ride for about 45 minutes.

mistermo
09-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Get a Concept II Model D indoor rower (http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-d)

Not as boring as you'd think, and one heck of a workout. Perfect for winter cross training.

Made down the road from you in Morrisville, VT - you can go pick it up yourself. The company has Thayer School connections going all the way back to the early '80's when I was there.

Thanks! I'm gonna get one of these.

mistermo
09-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Find a crossfit box near you and join.

Sorry, what is a "crossfit box"?

MattTuck
09-05-2012, 12:39 PM

http://www.concept2.com/files/images/indoor-rowers/model-d/slides/paul.jpg

Louis,

I've used something like this before, may have even been this company. I agree it isn't as boring as riding a trainer (but that's not saying much). However, at $900, it's a bit more than I can spend. I do have the Kirk coming in this winter and that's going to eat up a lot of my discretionary funds between the frame, wheels and getting it built up. I do think the gym I use has one of these, and I'll try to incorporate it into my routine in some way this winter. If I'm going to invest in anything, I think it'll be rollers, as I already have a trainer.

I am looking forward to some winter hiking and snow shoeing this winter, as last winter was basically a complete bust when it came to snow in New England.

fiamme red
09-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Sorry, what is a "crossfit box"?A gym that is affiliated with the Crossfit cult.

yngpunk
09-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Sorry, what is a "crossfit box"?

In Crossfit terminology box = gym. I suspect its because most Crossfit boxes/gyms look like garage set ups aka generic looking box with weights and related equipment but no "machines" other than the rowers.

Second looking into Crossfit.

AngryScientist
09-05-2012, 12:48 PM
just want to add it, that for the winter, IMO, variety is the spice of life.

i run when i can, cycle outside when i can.

i picked up a concept II rower last winter for short $$ used on craigslist. what a great machine. that thing will burn calories like crazy, it can be a very intense workout. (i used to row in college too)

then there are the rollers and the trainer. fixie on the rollers, road bike on the trainer.

i switch between those activities according to my mood and the weather over the winter, and it keeps me sane. probably not the best cycling specific regiment, but it keeps me reasonably fit in the off season, and doesnt make me hate my life or my bicycle.

cheers.

fiamme red
09-05-2012, 12:53 PM
In Crossfit terminology box = gym. I suspect its because most Crossfit boxes/gyms look like garage set ups aka generic looking box with weights and related equipment but no "machines" other than the rowers.However, they are surprisingly expensive. The local Crossfit box charges $200 per month.

MattTuck
09-05-2012, 12:55 PM
just want to add it, that for the winter, IMO, variety is the spice of life.

i run when i can, cycle outside when i can.

i picked up a concept II rower last winter for short $$ used on craigslist. what a great machine. that thing will burn calories like crazy, it can be a very intense workout. (i used to row in college too)

then there are the rollers and the trainer. fixie on the rollers, road bike on the trainer.

i switch between those activities according to my mood and the weather over the winter, and it keeps me sane. probably not the best cycling specific regiment, but it keeps me reasonably fit in the off season, and doesnt make me hate my life or my bicycle.

cheers.

Does the rowing machine have the same problems as cycling, namely that it is non load bearing and results in loss of bone density? I understand it is a good supplement/complement to indoor riding, but does the fact that it is a 'full body' motion decrease the need of strength training?

yngpunk
09-05-2012, 01:10 PM
However, they are surprisingly expensive. The local Crossfit box charges $200 per month.

Won't argue with you on that point. Compared to a traditional gym (e.g. Lifetime Fitness) the price point for CrossFit can seem rather expensive.

In the end, its up to you to decide the value of your gym. I will say this though, I haven't seen any of the 10 (or was it 12) types of people in every gym that was discussed in a thread a week or so go at a Crossfit box.