PDA

View Full Version : caption for this photo?

eddief
10-02-2005, 12:52 PM
The personality of the guy, his history in the bike biz and all the carbon threads here all pack a lot of possible interpretations into this photo.

http://sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2005/pages/13.html

Bill Bove
10-02-2005, 12:57 PM
:banana: :banana: WOWEE ZOWEE!!! :banana: :banana: Is Bridgestone coming back into the United States? They were, before Grant Peterson lost his mind, one of the best out of the box bike lines going. I would take them in in almost a heartbeat.

Ken Robb
10-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Arrrrrhhhhh Matey, now ye see why I usually wear me eyepatch.

Fixed
10-02-2005, 05:58 PM
bro I just poked me thumb in me eye cheers :beer:

dbrk
10-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Euro-Asia will be carrying Bridgestone track bikes, though they are in Japan labelled "Anchor" in order to distinguish the race line from the very practical city bikes for which Bstone is so well-known in Japan.

I have no idea what Bill is talking about regarding Grant having "lost his mind." Between 1992-93 the Japanese yen doubled in value against the dollar, profits fell, and Bstone, having not moved their own production to Taiwan, missed the money boat. Bstone wanted to be a big player in the US but it was profits, _not_ Grant Petersen's decisions that sealed their fate. In fact, it was Grant's design and specs that made the RB and MB series so especially successful in the US. To this day an RB-1 or MB-1 fetches a handsome price used, even now more than ten years old. I don't just mean to sound defensive about my friend but Grant's preferences and ideas continue to re-shape the bicycle industry for the better. Were there no GP we'd not see the revival in standard reach brakes from Shimano, the new plethora of "compact" cranks, the use of fatter tires and revival of Brooks saddles, the list goes on as far as what this remarkable man has done just in the past ten years _after_ Bstone decided to leave suddenly and without the slightest rancor towards Grant as far as his role was concerned. The new Bleriot 650B and the incoming Rivendell NiftySwifty 650B tire may cause a tiny revolution in "country bikes" that does a whole lotta' good. Attitudes about cycling have started to change about cycling because Grant built Rivendell from, well, nothing more than his own inventiveness, genius, and the goodwill of those who believe in his vision.
I am, obviously, one of the faithful so you will forgive me the froward, prating tone, entirely my own fault.

dbrk

Fixed
10-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Bro those old stones have a lot of value to messengers I wish I had one cheers :beer:

pale scotsman
10-02-2005, 07:26 PM
MUSA. Seersucker rules down south.

eddief
10-02-2005, 07:34 PM
is not misunderstood. I, too, hold GP in rather high regard. Just still kinda gushy about my little old orange Rambouillet. And now that a reasonably priced 650b appears on our horizon, may consider adding another GP-inspired ride to the collection.

On the carbon front, I have been doing a little dialogue with MG of Kogswell to find out if he might be the first to market with a Taiwan-manufactured carbon frameset with classic long and tall geometry.

My posting of the photo of Grant with a carbon Bridgestone included the thought of whether hell would freeze over before he would ever, himself, be associated with a carbon bike.

csm
10-02-2005, 07:39 PM
I have an mb-1. who wants it? make an offer..

Ray
10-02-2005, 08:29 PM
I have an mb-1. who wants it? make an offer..
And a 59cm 1992 RB-1. Pics available if anyone interested.

-Ray

shiftinjon
10-02-2005, 09:17 PM
...possible interpretations into this photo.

http://sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2005/pages/13.html

Interesting...a hyper modern carbon fiber framed campagnolo equipped dedicated racing bicycle on display with cork handlebar grips for a comfort bike, a randonee style handlebar bag, and steel frame fixtures. Hmmmm....interpretations? Bridgestone may have a mild case of multiple personalities, but I like them all. :p

Grant has not to my mind had as much influence on the resurgence of some of the above noted segments of the cycling world as has the resurgence of a bunch of old, out of shape, former cyclists who now have more discretionary income and bodies that doctors are telling them to use or lose. ;) Grant has been pretty good at targeting that market though. Still, those that have been aware of the options in the traditional styles of cycling available on the worldwide market know that GP is just one very limited and somewhat overpriced option. JMHO :) When I recently suffered a catastrophic injury and wanted a more upright ride, I looked at Rivendell, called them one time, and never even considered them again.

Frankwurst
10-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Interesting...a hyper modern carbon fiber framed campagnolo equipped dedicated racing bicycle on display with cork handlebar grips for a comfort bike, a randonee style handlebar bag, and steel frame fixtures. Hmmmm....interpretations? Bridgestone may have a mild case of multiple personalities, but I like them all. :p

Grant has not to my mind had as much influence on the resurgence of some of the above noted segments of the cycling world as has the resurgence of a bunch of old, out of shape, former cyclists who now have more discretionary income and bodies that doctors are telling them to use or lose. ;) Grant has been pretty good at targeting that market though. Still, those that have been aware of the options in the traditional styles of cycling available on the worldwide market know that GP is just one very limited and somewhat overpriced option. JMHO :) When I recently suffered a catastrophic injury and wanted a more upright ride, I looked at Rivendell, called them one time, and never even considered them again.
I may be old but I am not out of shape or a former cyclist. I've been riding for 30 years. I happen to like the geometry and ride of my Rivendell. You are right about one thing.....I do have more discretionary income which means I can pretty much ride whatever I choose,be it my Rivendell,Cannondale,Gary Fisher or Serotta. :beer:

Kevan
10-03-2005, 06:26 PM
nm

sspielman
10-04-2005, 06:23 AM
"Raise that stem about 18 inches and it could be considered a real Bridgestone....and will be acclaimed over at the i-Bob list.....oh...where are the fender mounts....."

dbrk
10-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Okay, this post is a bit touchy and a little angry but what the heck...I admit I am more than mildly disgusted with some of the comments in this thread.

Yeah, and somebody might actually ride their bike. There is more than one way to ride a bicycle. More than one sort of bicycle good that is good for lots of riding too. Grant rides what he markets, I assure you, and he rides to work, rides up Mt Diablo, rides with his daugthers to school, and has forgotten more about bicycles than most of us will ever have learned.

I'm leavin' for awhile, goin' to hang out with my iBOB pals. There's far less mockery over there.

dbrk

Fixed
10-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Bro there is more than one way to skin a cat. Dude we are all bros when it comes bikes i.m.h.o. cheers :beer: