PDA

View Full Version : Vuelta a Espana

DY123
09-03-2012, 12:14 PM
For those not watching, I highly recommend it Best tour hands down in YEARS.

If you don't have Universal Sports Spanish TV is also running and streaming it live.

http://www.rtve.es/deportes/ciclismo/vuelta-espana/

Too bad it's not getting more coverage here.

jpw
09-03-2012, 02:34 PM
The podium three include two who have received recent bans for drugs. The third, did he compete in the TdF this year?

Uncle Jam's Army
09-03-2012, 05:02 PM
The podium three include two who have received recent bans for drugs. The third, did he compete in the TdF this year?

Not sure what you mean to imply by this. The only guy who didn't compete in the TdeF this year is Rodriguez, who is leading the race and finished second in the Giro this year. The fact that Contador cannot dislodge Rodriguez suggests to me that Contador is racing clean (maybe not). But the results from this year's Giro, TdeF, and Vuelta (so far) seem to suggest clean riding by the top riders. All leaders seem vulnerable to a bad day, as opposed to super-human riding in years past.

Fixed
09-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Some of the best racing of the year is taking place there ,if you are a fan you should watch
IMHO cheers

Marcusaurelius
09-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Great race. The spanish towns and hills are spectacular.

Rueda Tropical
09-03-2012, 08:23 PM
The video of todays stage is here:

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/vuelta-ciclista-a-espana/

gianni
09-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Not sure what you mean to imply by this. The only guy who didn't compete in the TdeF this year is Rodriguez, who is leading the race and finished second in the Giro this year. The fact that Contador cannot dislodge Rodriguez suggests to me that Contador is racing clean (maybe not). But the results from this year's Giro, TdeF, and Vuelta (so far) seem to suggest clean riding by the top riders. All leaders seem vulnerable to a bad day, as opposed to super-human riding in years past.

I hope j rod is clean. I think clembutador is cleaner; he seems to lack the punch in power that comes with more miles. I hate to be too skeptical about purito, but when everyone is gassed and he can just ride between moves make me wonder...

jpw
09-04-2012, 03:56 AM

I don't believe what I'm seeing.

If Armstrong loses his TdF titles then Riis should lose his title. He's admitted taking drugs. Contador is tainted, by test results and by association with Riis. Valverde is a cheat. Rodriguez is riding the 'easy' grand tour schedule, Giro and Vuelta. The TdF is THE prize.

Elefantino
09-04-2012, 04:56 AM
I don't believe what I'm seeing.

If Armstrong loses his TdF titles then Riis should lose his title. He's admitted taking drugs. Contador is tainted, by test results and by association with Riis. Valverde is a cheat. Rodriguez is riding the 'easy' grand tour schedule, Giro and Vuelta. The TdF is THE prize.

Glad you put easy in quotes. Second in the Giro by 47 seconds and winning the Vuelta (we'll see, of course, after Bola del Mundo) is a pretty awesome year.

laupsi
09-04-2012, 05:28 AM
I think this year's Vuelta has been much more entertaining to watch than this year's TDF. the boys definately deserve a day off today after what they've endured these past few days. really exciting racing!

npep
09-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the link! And maybe it will help a little with my Spanish as well...:)

Fixed
09-04-2012, 07:13 AM
If you go to steephill they have the bbc link in English with Kelly doing the call
Cheers :)
Today is a rest day

firerescuefin
09-04-2012, 07:17 AM

You may be watching the wrong sport.

The TdF...or The PRIZE as you called it, was the worst this year (as a viewer) that I have seen in awhile. You can say what you want about the Giro and/or Vuelta, but from an entertainment perspective they lapped the TdF a couple times this year.

Fixed
09-04-2012, 07:33 AM
You may be watching the wrong sport.

The TdF...or The PRIZE as you called it, was the worst this year (as a viewer) that I have seen in awhile. You can say what you want about the Giro and/or Vuelta, but from an entertainment perspective they lapped the TdF a couple times this year.

Agreed 100%
Cheers

Rueda Tropical
09-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Rodriguez is riding the 'easy' grand tour schedule, Giro and Vuelta. The TdF is THE prize.

Easy! You're kidding. The parcours of this Vuelta has got to be the most absurdly brutal of any recent GT. If these guys are clean -they are super human.

The way Purito and Contador are hammering each other on climb after climb at stupid difficult gradients day in and day out is incredible. It hurts just to watch. Rodriguez looks like Contador in his last Giro. He's got wings.

It's a phenomenal spectacle but the cynicism that comes from all the doping takes some of the shine off anything you see in a pro race. It's really unfair if they are clean but "fool me once".

oldpotatoe
09-04-2012, 07:45 AM
For those not watching, I highly recommend it Best tour hands down in YEARS.

If you don't have Universal Sports Spanish TV is also running and streaming it live.

http://www.rtve.es/deportes/ciclismo/vuelta-espana/

Too bad it's not getting more coverage here.

It's not on Universal/NBC sports, is it?

At least not the free part, don't know about pay-for-view.

cloudguy
09-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Yeah, its crazy steep. Anybody notice what gear they were in? Also, when did Valverde become a good big-mountain climber? I don't believe any of it - especially in Spain.

PQJ
09-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Yeah, its crazy steep. Anybody notice what gear they were in? Also, when did Valverde become a good big-mountain climber? I don't believe any of it - especially in Spain.

Yup. From the leaked excerpts of Hamilton's book, it's tough to believe any of the big guns are clean. A few months ago I'dve said they were cleanER, but even that's probably not true. The joke is on us.

Back on topic, it has been a great Vuelta. Definitely the best GT of the year. Contador has been awesome, and Rodriguez even better. Kudos also to the organizers for a fantastic parcours.

Back off topic (but on the doping topic), how about Wiggins' latest rant about not enjoying the tour because of doping and twitter? What's he hiding?

firerescuefin
09-04-2012, 08:16 AM

I don't know what they're running this year, but on the Angliru last year the stage winner (Cobo) ran a 34-32:help:

Rueda Tropical
09-04-2012, 08:35 AM
On RTVE.es Perico Delgado did a ride up Cuitu Negro for TV piece. He wound up having to walk the last bit.

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/vuelta-ciclista-a-espana/pericopuertos-pajares-cuitu-negro/1510742/

Fixed
09-04-2012, 10:42 AM

From all the recent news stories I 'd be more worried about the Americans
IMHO cheers :)

DY123
09-04-2012, 10:53 AM
I had to pay $11 to add the channel for a month. Channel 625 Direct TV. The call sign is USN. Today is rest day so they probably have a good recap of the week.

I admit, it has gone thought my mind......I wonder if these guys are clean? The hills they are climbing almost require you to be superhuman, hence the suspicion.

So nice to see the podium contenders actually attacking rather than conservatively protecting a time trial lead (boring). Not including yesterday, I think they said Contador attacked Rodriguez 30 times. Where do you see that?

Anyway, it's fun to watch.

Elefantino
09-04-2012, 07:06 PM
I bought an American flag today so look for me waving it like a loon on the last climb of Navacerrada and on Bola del Mundo.

Jack Brunk
09-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Sorry,
For me the racing is the best of the best. When your watching attack after attack the last thing I'm thinking is OH EPO? HGH? Who effin cares? it's entertainment at it's finest. Contador is a effin stud and Purito, Valverde are as well. Let's see if Wiggins, Cadel(who quit racing for rest of 2012), could/wouldn't be able to hang on the Vuelta course.

It's really good theatre no matter what.

Rueda Tropical
09-05-2012, 05:12 AM
I don't know what they're running this year, but on the Angliru last year the stage winner (Cobo) ran a 34-32:help:

Contador ran anew SRAM long cage derrailleur with a 32 in the rear according to Cycling News.

cmg
09-05-2012, 08:07 AM
this years Vuelta looks better than ever. Spain looks to be in better shape than france. the organizers seem to have decided to take the race through modern sections of the country. Not like the giro that took the race down alleyways. totally digging Contrador's constant attacking

BlackTiBob
09-05-2012, 08:26 AM
so what time and where is it on today in US??

I went to steephill and they have women's tennis on. I thought the race should
be on now.

Thanks

Fixed
09-05-2012, 09:05 AM
On now
Cheers

Fixed
09-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Better catch this this could be epic
Cheers

MattTuck
09-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Won't give any spoilers here. But if you are watching, you'll understand. That guy always seems to help him, no matter what team he's on!!

Fixed
09-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Fantastic racing going on
Fan fest
Cheers

ultraman6970
09-05-2012, 09:48 AM
F.... AC is just inhuman!!!! Valverde eat the same thing than him this morning.

Just turned the thing on and found this surprise!!! awesome!.

jpw
09-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Unfortunately I am unable to accept that Bjarne Riis operates a clean regime at his team.

harryblack
09-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Ultraman-- I just got in from days on the road, fired up laptop and expected pro forma small summit finish...

WHOA!!!!! David Harmon going bonkers, I'm scrolling backwards to find out what happened... great stage, great race, massive kudos to AC for figuring a way to do it... Valverde trying to fight back was impressive too but I'm glad Contador took it-- the guy is just a brilliant bike racer.

F.... AC is just inhuman!!!! Valverde eat the same thing than him this morning.

Just turned the thing on and found this surprise!!! awesome!.

Fixed
09-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Ultraman-- I just got in from days on the road, fired up laptop and expected pro forma small summit finish...

WHOA!!!!! David Harmon going bonkers, I'm scrolling backwards to find out what happened... great stage, great race, massive kudos to AC for figuring a way to do it... Valverde trying to fight back was impressive too but I'm glad Contador took it-- the guy is just a brilliant bike racer.

+ 1
Cheers

Fixed
09-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Stay tuned there is a pro am stage race going on featuring some the best climbs from the t.d.f.
Cheers

ultraman6970
09-05-2012, 10:24 AM
At this very moment the only place I wouldn't love to be is inside of the katusha bus.

merlincustom1
09-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Wow, a superhuman effort by AC and Piti after a rest day. Autologous transfusion without clen-tainted blood this time, anyone?

Elefantino
09-05-2012, 10:57 AM
So stoked that we leave for Spain tomorrow. It will be an all-out war between the three teams on Saturday.

PQJ
09-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Frikkin awesome stage. Is Contador the rider Armstrong could've been? :eek:
Mad Conty love here.

BillG
09-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Who's your daddy! That was crazy!

Elefantino
09-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Is Contador the rider Armstrong could've been?
You mean if Lance ever tested positive? :eek:

BillG
09-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Unfortunately I am unable to accept that Bjarne Riis operates a clean regime at his team.

Sure. But that goes of Katusha and Valverde as well. The Vuelta is the dopers delight. Look at how they design the effin' course. Makes for great racing. And add in the greatest racer and you have hors categore racing.

BillG
09-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Frikkin awesome stage. Is Contador the rider Armstrong could've been? :eek:
Mad Conty love here.

They ride totally different. Only Hinault ever attacked that much and won. But that ride was all Contador.

CunegoFan
09-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Simply great stage and great race. Contador tried and tried, all through the Vuelta, and finally stuck it to J-Rod. Tiralongo is still paying for that gifted Giro stage.