PDA

View Full Version : Public Bike Racks

oldforester
09-02-2012, 12:01 PM
I would like to commute to work and prior to a restarurant moving into the first floor of the office building where I work we were able to use that vacant space. Now the building is locked down because of the restarurant patrons - can't let them run wild. Not allowed to take a bike to office. There are several bike racks on the sidewalk and one or two in the parking garage. Problem is they are metal and would scrape the paint off my bike which I don't want to do.

Does anyone know of a public bike rack that is made out of a material that won't scratch a bike all up.

bikinchris
09-02-2012, 12:34 PM
I would like to commute to work and prior to a restarurant moving into the first floor of the office building where I work we were able to use that vacant space. Now the building is locked down because of the restarurant patrons - can't let them run wild. Not allowed to take a bike to office. There are several bike racks on the sidewalk and one or two in the parking garage. Problem is they are metal and would scrape the paint off my bike which I don't want to do.

Does anyone know of a public bike rack that is made out of a material that won't scratch a bike all up.

In that kind of setup, I woudl seriously think of getting a bike locker. Open door, roll bike in and lock closed. Out of sight, out of mind, even out of weather if it has to go somewhere outside.

benitosan1972
09-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Get a toptube pad or wrap parts off your frame with duct tape,
It will also help deter theft as your bike will look more "beater."

pedlpwrd
09-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Isn't it interesting that the city councils and what not try to act as if they're all for riding bikes and taking public transportation etc to help with environmental issues, but then you see things like bike lanes that aren't really accessable and dirty or damaged racks. Here in NY, the bike racks I've seen usually have kids climbing all over them and are covered in used gum. I find it appalling that taking your bike inside with you isn't welcomed. I take mine into the shoprite and the walbaums even though they've asked me mulitple times to please leave it outside. I said to the manager of my more frequented store something like "I wanted a Serotta all my life and I am not losing or having it damaged because its taking up the space of what another person would use."
He hasn't asked me to leave it outside since.
I often take a towel with me and wrap the rack itself before locking my bike up to it. When (and it's rare) that I will lock it up in public.

Peter P.
09-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Buy a jar of Plasti Dip and paint the common contact points of the bike rack. You'll be doing a service for yourself and other users of the rack. And you also won't have the dread of modifying your bike to protect it.

Plasti Dip comes in brush-on and spray-on formulations. The company also makes a Rubber Dip formulation.

LJohnny
09-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Any chance to ask your company to get a few lockers? They are great, keep your bike out of sight and protected from the elements. Other co-workers also commute?

rwsaunders
09-02-2012, 07:55 PM
We are involved with design of green buildings and all of our projects call for the installation of bike racks. The "U/2" design from this company, utilizes a plastic coating and we have had great comments from our clients regarding the durability of the finish.

http://www.cyclesafe.com/racks.tab.aspx

csm
09-03-2012, 08:41 AM
on a related note... this past summer my wife and I rode around 7 mi Island in South Jersey and stopped at a bike shop in Avalon. I looked out to see some guy moving our bikes. I walked out to ask him what he was doing and before I could say anything he told me he had to move them to get his bike in the rack. There were NO other bikes on that rack btw.
I found that to be a bit forward.

LJohnny
09-03-2012, 12:28 PM
on a related note... this past summer my wife and I rode around 7 mi Island in South Jersey and stopped at a bike shop in Avalon. I looked out to see some guy moving our bikes. I walked out to ask him what he was doing and before I could say anything he told me he had to move them to get his bike in the rack. There were NO other bikes on that rack btw.
I found that to be a bit forward.

Perhaps he had a chain or lock at the location he was trying to access. I know at my work place people routinarily leave locks and chains at a spot, then just go straight there every day to lock it...

n_maher
09-03-2012, 07:06 PM
At work I have to stash my bike in a mechanical closet. Find out where one is in your building and see about getting a key?

csm
09-04-2012, 06:34 AM
Perhaps he had a chain or lock at the location he was trying to access. I know at my work place people routinarily leave locks and chains at a spot, then just go straight there every day to lock it...

no, he wanted to have his bike all by itself. it wasn't a very good or well-taken care of either; an old Trek hybrid iirc.

victoryfactory
09-04-2012, 07:10 AM
In NYC, businesses are required to provide safe secure bike parking
for their workers. (Unless it's been repealed by the Mayor's enemies)

VF

jbl
09-09-2012, 08:10 AM
In NYC, businesses are required to provide safe secure bike parking
for their workers. (Unless it's been repealed by the Mayor's enemies)

VF

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the building just has to let you take your bike up the freight elevator.... Whether your co lets you keep the bike in the office is another matter.