PDA

View Full Version : Velomine listing on eBay... regarding Campy BB

handsomerob
09-02-2012, 09:19 AM
So, after some sticker shock for $199 for a Record Bottom Bracket... I clicked the link to see if it was some special edition that I wasn't aware of and I read in the listing that are advertising that this 102mm BB is ok for ALL levels of Campy cranksets. I know that there are quite a few off label possibilities in bike parts... but I don't think this is right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Record-9-10-speed-Bottom-Bracket-Carbon-Fiber-English-Threads-1-37x24-/251101439748?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a76cfe704#ht_1640wt_1037

by the way... they actually sold one of these for $199. :eek:

Plum Hill
09-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Apparently there aren't many Record BBs around anymore. My local shops couldn't get one through normal channels.
At that time (less than two months ago), they weren't in stock at Velo Mine.
I got one from the auction site for $109.

harryschwartzma
09-02-2012, 10:15 AM
While $199 might seem a bit high for it that's an excellent bb with a ti spindle and a carbon shell.

As the description in the auction says: "102mm Spindle Fits 9 and 10 Speed Campagnolo Record Chorus Daytona Centaur and Mirage Double Square Taper Cranksets"

thwart
09-02-2012, 12:07 PM
I guess 'fits' and 'appropriate for' are different somehow? :rolleyes: That BB only is 'appropriate for' Record and Chorus cranks, IIRC.

bikinchris
09-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Phil wood still makes one. In titanium if you want. Make sure they are using the 68mm shell width. The MTB width will not work.

maunahaole
09-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Campy is nice. Phil is nicer. 200 for a nos record bb is stupid. But someone will pay that for their nuclear winter campy stash.

FlashUNC
09-02-2012, 01:23 PM
While $199 might seem a bit high for it that's an excellent bb with a ti spindle and a carbon shell.

As the description in the auction says: "102mm Spindle Fits 9 and 10 Speed Campagnolo Record Chorus Daytona Centaur and Mirage Double Square Taper Cranksets"

Chorus and Record cranks need the 102mm BB. Centaur/Daytona and below need the 111mm.

I'm a little perplexed by the scarcity argument. Shop just ordered a Chorus BB from QBP for a square taper crank on a new project without any issues.

oliver1850
09-02-2012, 01:32 PM
You might be able to use a 102 with a Veloce/Centaur crank, if you want the added workout from the small ring rubbing the chainstay, or (maybe) with a 1 x 10 setup.

Otherwise, stick to the 111.

Plum Hill
09-02-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm a little perplexed by the scarcity argument. Shop just ordered a Chorus BB from QBP for a square taper crank on a new project without any issues.

OP's question was on Record, not Chorus.
QBP's stock of Record is nil; no individual cogs were available last year, only Chorus and lower levels. LBS's only supplier for older Record items is Euro Asia, and I can't afford anything they have.

bikinchris
09-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Try Ochsner.

ultraman6970
09-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Token does them also in carbon and Ti and for a lot less, they last a long time as campy ones. Don't see that selling for 200 bucks but who knows.

The problem is that if they list them at that price even used one will go higher that what they should now.... look look... 200 bucks, mine is used and worth 150 then!

oldpotatoe
09-03-2012, 07:32 AM
So, after some sticker shock for $199 for a Record Bottom Bracket... I clicked the link to see if it was some special edition that I wasn't aware of and I read in the listing that are advertising that this 102mm BB is ok for ALL levels of Campy cranksets. I know that there are quite a few off label possibilities in bike parts... but I don't think this is right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Record-9-10-speed-Bottom-Bracket-Carbon-Fiber-English-Threads-1-37x24-/251101439748?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a76cfe704#ht_1640wt_1037

by the way... they actually sold one of these for $199. :eek:

Still readily available as are 102mm Chorus, in both English and the far superior Italian threading.

Guess I gotta raise my prices tho..$199 yowser.

102mm spindle for 1995 thru 2006 Record and Chorus cranks ONLY, standard or compact. All the others used a 111mm either symmetrical for doubles, asymmetrical for Record/Chorus triples..some 115 for big seattube triples but not Record/Chorus

bobswire
09-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Total Cycling 126.11 shipped to USA (if you must have one) To save yourself $75.
http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/bottom_brackets/bottom_brackets_road/bbrecord.html

oldpotatoe
09-03-2012, 07:34 AM

Not ti spindle, Campagnolo hasn't made one of those since 1987.

PLUS velomone mentioned for wrong cranksets..thought velomine had their ****e in one sock? Guess not.

AngryScientist
09-03-2012, 07:40 AM
velomine is one of the best online retailers in the business. they are also a real brick and mortar shop. typos and mistakes can happen to anyone. the difference with velomine is this: if you call them, someone will always answer the phone and know their business. if in doubt about something you see on that site: call them.

oldpotatoe
09-03-2012, 08:32 AM
velomine is one of the best online retailers in the business. they are also a real brick and mortar shop. typos and mistakes can happen to anyone. the difference with velomine is this: if you call them, someone will always answer the phone and know their business. if in doubt about something you see on that site: call them.

I have bought 1 inch Record headsets and 111 Campagnolo C Record spindles from them...why I don't get such a glaring error.

ultraman6970
09-03-2012, 09:12 AM
I dont think the issue is the place as a shop because they rock big time. but the pricing in that item is a tiny steep.

DHallerman
09-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Still readily available as are 102mm Chorus, in both English and the far superior Italian threading.

And what, pray tell, is the superiority of Italian threading over English?

Dave, who has never had a single problem with English threaded bottom brackets

akelman
09-03-2012, 10:35 AM

It's a running joke he makes, Dave. Sarcasm is hard to perceive through the Internet. Someone should fix that flaw.

oldpotatoe
09-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Well cuz it's Italiano........duh

handsomerob
09-03-2012, 05:34 PM

well, I just emailed them to let them know that their description is likely not accurate.

when it comes down to it, if you are charging a premium for a product,I think it is appropo to have an accurate description.