PDA

View Full Version : Road Rash Protection

sand fungus
09-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Ran across this site the other day, interesting concept.

http://www.gauntletwear.com/

Wonder if it will catch on after seeing all of the crashes in the grand tours and the local crits seems like a good idea. Seems logical that it would move to the shorts and jerseys next. Doesn't look like they are open for business yet otherwise I would give them a try.

Fivethumbs
09-02-2012, 04:33 AM
It's funny but the arm warmers look like someone cut the sleeves off a Hans and Franz sweatshirt.

professerr
09-02-2012, 12:58 PM
I really like the idea -- thanks for the post.

There are many roads I ride on a bike where I reach pretty much the same speeds (in the same traffic conditions) as I do on a motorcycle, except on the motorcycle I've got anti-lock brakes, a padded Aerostitch protective suit, kevlar reinforced hard shell boots, a full face helmet and full leather gloves with riveted palms. If I saw someone riding a motorcycle 50 MPH down Skyline Blvd or Highway 84 in bicycle shorts and a foam helmet, I'd think he was a moron. Any improvement over lycra is a very good thing.

verticaldoug
09-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Roadrash protection is typically called bike handling.

FlashUNC
09-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't this basically just a pair of arm warmers that don't warm?

Last time I hit the deck, I found a baselayer went a long way to absorbing what would have been far worse road rash.

jonsamg
09-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Ran across this site the other day, interesting concept.

http://www.gauntletwear.com/

Wonder if it will catch on after seeing all of the crashes in the grand tours and the local crits seems like a good idea. Seems logical that it would move to the shorts and jerseys next. Doesn't look like they are open for business yet otherwise I would give them a try.

Is this serious? 20 times stronger than regular bike wear. I find it hard to believe that it would not feel like wearing steel wool.

weiwentg
09-02-2012, 09:58 PM
plus this stuff would be quite unpleasant to test. honey, I crashed the bike and I need a new rear derailleur, new right pedal, new bar tape, might have to change out the carbon handlebars, but hey, I don't have ANY road rash?

srice
09-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Is this serious? 20 times stronger than regular bike wear. I find it hard to believe that it would not feel like wearing steel wool.

I read that as 20 times better than straight skin on asphalt

jonsamg
09-02-2012, 10:27 PM
I read that as 20 times better than straight skin on asphalt

Is that like 20 times zero is still zero?

srice
09-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Is that like 20 times zero is still zero?

Straight skin has a little abrasion resistance- not much,but there is some.

Tandem Rider
09-03-2012, 03:06 PM
verticaldoug Roadrash protection is typically called bike handling.

+ 1

Bob Loblaw
09-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Tear resistance ≠ skin protection. You just end up with abrasions under intact arm warmers.

BL

CunegoFan
09-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Whatever happend to those little plastic doohickies that could be stuck on your hips to provide a hard surface for sliding across asphalt in a low side crash?

Tandem Rider
09-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Whatever happend to those little plastic doohickies that could be stuck on your hips to provide a hard surface for sliding across asphalt in a low side crash?

Shuddering at the thought of removing duct tape from skin EVERY time I race. Maybe just not crashing...

esldude
09-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Surprised at all the negative comments. Something like this will or may already be possible. And it is a very good thing. Light, moisture wicking, fabric that is tough. What is not to like?

fogrider
09-03-2012, 09:53 PM
I like the idea. I took a little spill about a month ago...I went around a turn and it was a little to wet and slick and I put too much lean on the bike. never had a chance, the bike was out from under me before I knew it. my shorts did not tear but I got road rash non the less...it was not high speed so I ended up with a break in my skin bigger than a golf ball. I think since shorts are costing upwards of 100 bucks, a little more protection would be appreciated. I think there are some mountain bike shorts have some protection but it requires padding.

professerr
09-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Surprised at all the negative comments. Something like this will or may already be possible. And it is a very good thing. Light, moisture wicking, fabric that is tough. What is not to like?

Me too. I've been down more times than I want to remember on a bike and also once on a motorcyle. Experience has taught me that anything between me and the pavement is good, and that bike handling bravado is not a very effective safety device.

I emailed the company and told them to let me know when they are shipping. If I get a set, I'll post a review.

Nooch
09-04-2012, 04:48 AM
a guy in the 1/2/3 race at the local crit will wear g-form pads every so often, not sure if to protect a previous injury or as a preventative measure -- i'll usually only see it on his left side (4-left-corner crit), so I don't know if he's just taking a measure to protect himself in the event he slides out in the corner..

http://g-form.com/products/elbow-pad/