PDA

View Full Version : Merckx AX or EX Ti?

Barryj
09-01-2012, 10:37 PM
OK you Merckx fanatics...I'm thinking about buying a 1998 60cm Merckx EX Ti frame (Lightspeed built) via internet, but how do you tell the difference between the AX and the EX frame if all the logos have been removed? I do see it has the Merckx factory stamp above the dropouts.

Should I be concerned about the BB being Italian threaded....seems like SRAM and DA have product for it.

I'm stuck between between this and a 2004 Lightspeed Tuscany......I ride alot of Centuries is what the intended use is.

Somebody Talk To Me....I'm Gona Pull The Trigger On One Of These Tonight!

thinpin
09-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Ax tubes are round. Ex are "ovalized" esp at the BB. Why be concerned about an Italian BB?
If its this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eddy-Merckx-Titanium-EX-Pro-Frame-and-Fork-60cm-/221118104318?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item337baa82fe#ht_500wt_1160

then it looks like an Ex.

maunahaole
09-02-2012, 04:03 AM
The EX also has beefier seat and chain stays. The one in the ebay listing looks like an EX. I have an EX. It is a nice riding frame, but imho does better with stiff wheels on it. The ITA bb is not a big deal.

I think that the seller is asking too much for it, though. You could find a more modern ti bike at that price point.

Barryj
09-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the info guys.....

What stiff wheels do you like? ... and yeah, I hope to get it for less than that price.

texbike
09-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Hi Barry,

I'm a HUGE fan of Merckx bikes. I'm also a HUGE fan of titanium as a bike material. It seems that a Merckx Ti bike would be the perfect combination for me. However, I've never owned one due to the fact that almost every person that HAS owned one mentions that the bikes are on the "soft" side and flexy.

If I remember correctly, you stated in another post that you're around 200 lbs and ride around a 60 cm bike. If that's the case, a Merckx Ti may not be the best choice unless you are into softer/flexier bikes.

Just something to consider.

Good luck in your search!

Texbike

tiretrax
09-02-2012, 12:23 PM
You are right to want to get it for less than 1/2 - a built out Merckx sold for $1100 last week. I'd do some research and use it to justify your offer. However, with someone asking $1200, I doubt they'd come down to less than $1000.

slidey
09-02-2012, 12:24 PM
This softness you speak of, isn't it a property of the specific alloy of 3Al/2.5V? I had a Lemond which was a 3/2.5 and it was an extremely comfortable ride, but I took a very strong aversion to it owing to it's flexing, or inefficient power transfer. Do you know if this is also the case with 6/4 alloy...or at least what the differences in these two alloys in terms of stiffness are?

Hi Barry,

I'm a HUGE fan of Merckx bikes. I'm also a HUGE fan of titanium as a bike material. It seems that a Merckx Ti bike would be the perfect combination for me. However, I've never owned one due to the fact that almost every person that HAS owned one mentions that the bikes are a on the "soft" side and flexy.

If I remember correctly, you stated in another post that you're around 200 lbs and ride around a 60 cm bike. If that's the case, a Merckx Ti may not be the best choice unless you are into softer/flexier bikes.

Just something to consider.

Good luck in your search!

Texbike

maunahaole
09-02-2012, 12:50 PM
The variation of ti alloy is nothing to get too hung up on. 6/4 is stronger, but it is a bear to work with and for that reason used less. The stifffness(for lack of a better term) ca be tuned via tubing size and shape. Early ti lacked here because the tubing selection was limited. Modern bikes benefit from twenty years of experience and more choices for the builders out of the tubing catalog.

As to stiff rims, look to something tall and aero that is laterally stiff. I have some old campy Atlanta wheels that ride really nice on that bike.

tv_vt
09-02-2012, 01:18 PM
I have one of those. Search for "humbug" and you'll see it. Great century bike. Not super-stiff, but a great riding bike. Choice of fork makes a big difference. I really like the Alpha Q fork on my bike now.

Thom

merckx
09-02-2012, 02:13 PM
AFAIK, Gita never had a dedicated fork for the AX and EX. People plugged in all kind of forks to get them on the road, usually Kestrals as they were the popular fork at the time. As a result, it was a real crap-shoot to receive a machine that had desirable manners. Merckx should have built a light Columbus steel unicrown fork for the machines like Derosa did for their Ti rigs. Also, the QC by Litespeed was spotty. I saw more than a few with rear triangles that were not true.

jlwdm
09-02-2012, 04:09 PM
This softness you speak of, isn't it a property of the specific alloy of 3Al/2.5V? I had a Lemond which was a 3/2.5 and it was an extremely comfortable ride, but I took a very strong aversion to it owing to it's flexing, or inefficient power transfer. Do you know if this is also the case with 6/4 alloy...or at least what the differences in these two alloys in terms of stiffness are?

Read Tom Kellogg's discussion of 3/2.5 and 6.4 and see why he thinks there is no advantage to 6/4.

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/materials.php

Jeff

Grant McLean
09-02-2012, 04:24 PM
OK you Merckx fanatics...I'm thinking about buying a 1998 60cm Merckx EX Ti frame

A bigger guy is going to find a 60cm Ti frame of that era to be a noodle.
These days, Ti frames are built with much larger diameter tubes to
give the front triangle much more lateral stiffness.

-g

Barryj
09-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Grant,
I thought the EX model was the answer to that problem

I talke to alot of big guys riding 60cm+ Appalachains, Tuscany and Blue Ridge frames of that era. No noodle comments....
Classic and Catalyst, yes ..noodle.

I understood the EX frame would be stiffer than the Appalachain/Tuscany and Blue Ridge frames... and that is part of my interest in the Merxck EX

Rouleur88
09-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Sent you a pm. Think I just missed you though.

Barryj
09-02-2012, 11:24 PM
So what's the consensus? Is the EX frame going to be a noodle for my 198lbs and 6'2 height? Sure seems it depends on who you ask......

Pros:The 60cm EX frame exactly matches the (58cm)top and (60cm)seat tube measurements of my current ride exactly
Cons: price, noodle?

Is the 58cm Legend stiffer than the Merxck EX?

Pros: The 58cm frame is 58cm for top tube, price, stiff enough for a Clydesdale?

Cons: The seat tube is 58cm - 2cm shorter than my current ride