PDA

View Full Version : crusty, sweaty helmet straps

david
10-01-2005, 04:03 PM
one of the smaller pleasures in life, for me at least, is checking my helmet straps for salt stains after a ride. the more, the happier i am. i admire them for a few moments before rinsing them off. am i alone on this one?

spiderman
10-01-2005, 05:02 PM
i have to soak them in soapy water in the sink,
rinse them
and let them air dry
once a month.
sometimes once a week.

William
10-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Spritz (from a spray bottle) the pads and straps with a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water after every ride. Then maybe once a month follow Spideys method.

William

pale scotsman
10-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Am I the only one that never washes their helmet straps or pads??? The one I use now must be 3 years old.

bironi
10-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Scotsman,

I commuted daily for over 15 yrs, I began washing my helmet regularly when I first noticed a smell like cat unine wafting from my helmet. Maybe your sense of smell is a bit weak, perhaps ask a riding partner what he or she smells.

Big Dan
10-01-2005, 08:07 PM
H2O and soap...it works....Take it to the shower with you.... :D

700 x 23c
10-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I have to admit, I don't wash mine either and really never noticed any smell. My jersey stinks by the end of a ride, but the helmet doesn't.

Needs Help
10-01-2005, 09:12 PM
crusty, sweaty helmet straps
I know what you mean, but I never have to look farther than the salt encrusting my cycling shorts to know how hard the ride was.

Kevan
10-01-2005, 09:21 PM
good stock for soups.

Course with Sandy's helmet you've got the makings for a WMD.

dsimon
10-01-2005, 09:49 PM
WOW i must be the laziest man alive i put mine on the top shelf in the dishwaser with a dime size amount of detergent a violla its clean... :beer:

spiderman
10-01-2005, 09:55 PM
i actually had it in the kitchen
and was caught by my daughters
while i was attempting to put it in the top rack...
...they were sickened and put it in the bathroom sink instead.
they have no problem with the dog licking dishes,
but they drew the line at my stinky, sweaty helmet!

Lifelover
10-01-2005, 11:03 PM
In the winter it's not a problem and in the summer I bake mine after each ride by strapping it to the roof rack for a day or so.

The straps are still stiff sometimes but no odor.

chrisroph
10-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Occasionally, take it into the shower and use shampoo.

CalfeeFly
10-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Personally I save them crusty so when I feel as though my sodium is low on a ride I have a ready source. Plus the taste isn't half bad. :p :) :rolleyes: ;) :D :bike:

djg21
10-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Scotsman,

I commuted daily for over 15 yrs, I began washing my helmet regularly when I first noticed a smell like cat unine wafting from my helmet. Maybe your sense of smell is a bit weak, perhaps ask a riding partner what he or she smells.

Riding partner? He hasn't washed his hemet in THREE YEARS!!!!! ;)

Cadence230
10-02-2005, 04:22 PM
i admire them for a few moments before rinsing them off. am i alone on this one? It would seem the mourning we feel after doing such things(rinsing hard earned salt off) is we are looking back on the effort it took to earn such a thing in the first place and now we must "wash" or "throw it away". I feel the same when I throw a tissue away. ;)

david
10-02-2005, 04:41 PM
It would seem the mourning we feel after doing such things(rinsing hard earned salt off) is we are looking back on the effort it took to earn such a thing in the first place and now we must "wash" or "throw it away". I feel the same when I throw a tissue away. ;)

how 'bout tp?

bulliedawg
10-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Am I the only one that never washes their helmet straps or pads???

No!

pale scotsman
10-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Scotsman,

I'm quite sure the riding partners smell naught for the pale one is sooooo faaaar behind. Besides all that I excreteth smelleth like roses. Just ask my wife! :)

ClutchCargo
10-03-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm quite sure the riding partners smell naught for the pale one is sooooo faaaar behind. Besides all that I excreteth smelleth like roses. Just ask my wife! :)

and haven't spritzed it with anything other than a hastily opened brew. have always just squeezed out the sweat at the end of the ride, set it upside down with an old rag in it to soak up some more, then removed the rag an hour or so later and let air dry.

as for sir david, if you like the crusty salted straps, move to Moab, dude. out there you'll be leaving a contrail of salt as you ride.

for those who would go the dishwasher route, I would worry about the very hot water in the dishwasher ruining your helmet (and sympathize with any family members who now have to worry about you getting the bright idea to "sterilize" your shorts along with their dishes!).

Bud
10-03-2005, 08:35 PM
I wear a do-rag thingy (Head Sweats brand) under my helmet which helps quite a bit, but still get the major salt deposits on the straps after a long day riding in Colorado summer heat. I've always just rinsed with water though- no extreme measures have been necessary. The do-rag gets rinsed daily or else it stinks. 7 days of ride the rockies this summer made that thing reek!

spiderman
10-03-2005, 09:08 PM
that crystalized sweat
was the cure for cancer...
...maybe this salty sweat strap
could provide the solution!

christian
10-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Wow, you can wash helmet straps? I'm scared the next thread will ask if I wash my gloves. Seriously, some people actually wash gloves. Unbelieveable, huh?

- Christian

Needs Help
10-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Seriously, some people actually wash gloves. Unbelieveable, huh?
...and get this: I hear some people even take showers after they ride!