PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have to make this decision?

buddyebs
08-31-2012, 04:04 PM
I started road riding/racing in 2001 at the age of 39. Kept upgrading and changing bikes almost every year. Usually had a road bike and a separate TT bike. This year I decided to give duathlons a try. Partly because I did not have the time needed to devote to training to be competitive at road racing. I figured I could run a couple times a week and ride a couple. Running obviously cuts way back on total training time.

Well I sold my road bike last year, Litespeed archon Ti. It was all I had. So I needed to get a TT bike for duathlons. One that would last. I was lucky enough to come across a brand new 2007 Litespeed Saber just this past April. A dealer had it lost in storage. So I built it up and love the bike.

The problem is, I miss hoping on the bike from home and just going. Loading the TT bike in the car and taking it to a low traffic area is a pain. I can't afford to have 2 bikes right now. Was thinking of selling the Saber and getting a road bike again. One that would make a good combination road /TT bike by putting aerobars on it when I need to.

Any thoughts on the best combo bike out there?

Here are pics of my Saber if anyone is interested.

EDS
08-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Just ind a cheap used road bike and enjoy.

buddyebs
08-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Just ind a cheap used road bike and enjoy.

One bike is the limit financially plus don't want the clutter of 2 bikes anymore.

T.J.
08-31-2012, 04:24 PM
take a look at the Felt AR series of bikes

buddyebs
08-31-2012, 04:25 PM
take a look at the Felt AR series of bikes

Are they considered an aero road frame?

T.J.
08-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Are they considered an aero road frame?

yup they are. also look at the Fuji SST line. they go back to the days of the Toyota United team and Ivan wanted a stiff bike for the sprints. Fuji made a road frame out of their tt bike for him. them they started selling it as the SST

vav
08-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Cervelo S1 Alu or S2 CF. Reversible seatpost makes easier to move back and forth riding position. 2007,8 called Soloist is pretty much the same thing. I think they offer or at least advertise themselves to exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/CerveloS1-2009.shtml

But maybe I am biased...:cool:

Here is my 'velo S1 2009 Aluminun. Ultegra 6700. FSK-light compact. Shimano PRO PLT cockpit and Selle Italia SLR "165"

buddyebs
08-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Cervelo S1 Alu or S2 CF. Reversible seatpost makes easier to move back and forth riding position. 2007,8 called Soloist is pretty much the same thing. I think they offer or at least advertise themselves to exactly what you are looking for.

Here is my 'velo S1 2009 Aluminun. Ultegra 6700. FSK-light compact. Shimano PRO PLT cockpit and Selle Italia SLR "165"

Thanks for everyone's input. Turning 50 in Dec and really was thinking of a Titanium road bike. Something that will take me into my golden years. Any semi aero Ti frames out there. I realize there limitations on tube shaping for Ti. Is there anything close?

buddyebs
08-31-2012, 06:05 PM

Those tube shapes on your S1 should be doable in Titanium, I would think. The Down Tube might be a challenge but possible.

vav
08-31-2012, 06:12 PM
I own a 1989 Aluminum bike and the difference is night and day with this one. Alu has come a long way and I really don't know if the fork makes a difference or what but the ride with the S1 is not a killer like the other. Maybe never will be Ti buttery but with 25 tires and a nice not a$$ killer SLR saddle you can endure long rides and triathlons as well. FWIW I own a Litespeed Ti as well: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=108101 and I keep leaning toward the S1 all the time.

djg
08-31-2012, 06:41 PM
I guess I wouldn't really worry about aero tubes at all. Most of the aero advantage available with a TT bike comes from getting the rider in the right position. I think factor 2 is the helmet. Wheels come in third. Things like shoe covers and aero gloves may actually help more than an aero down tube. That's not to say that you shouldn't work around a TT bike if that's what you like, but I'd get a road bike that (a) I like on the road and (b) that's easily adapted to a second position -- if you get it mapped out right, maybe a second seatpost with a more forward position holding a tt sadle and then clamp on bars that will work with your road bars.

Clutter is clutter, and if there's no space then there is no space, but obviously a used 1st class anything -- TT or road -- is probably less expensive than a 3d class new bike (which is true if you're looking for one do-it-all bike or a second bike).