PDA

View Full Version : Nipple Update

Louis
08-30-2012, 10:58 PM
If you recall from this thread, (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=114331) a few weeks ago I busted an alloy nipple on my Topolino C19's and replaced it with a brass nipple.

Well, tonight at the tail end of my ride, about 3/4 of a mile from home, on the last hill, about 5 yards from the top I was standing, giving it all I had left, and I heard "ping." Again, drive side, about three spokes away from the brass one, but this time a trailing spoke, instead of a leading spoke. So that's it for this incarnation of that wheel. I'm not going to bother putting in another nipple.

Happily, Ergott just sent me what I'll be using as the replacement wheelset (Velocity A23 & veloplugs, WI hubs, CXRay spokes, alloy nipples - let's hope those last longer than the C19 nipples, 1520g).

So, I'll pull the rear, and call Topolino to see what they think, before I decide whether I'll have them refurbish the wheel, of just have my LBS replace al the nipples. The bearings are also starting to have some side-play, but I'm not sure if the means worn out bearing or just something in need of adjustment.

Final question: would you go with alloy nipples again, or brass? I think I know what I'm going to do, but won't bias the responses.

Louis

dave thompson
08-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Louis, I always knew you have brass nipples! :rolleyes:

oldpotatoe
08-31-2012, 07:58 AM
If you recall from this thread, (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=114331) a few weeks ago I busted an alloy nipple on my Topolino C19's and replaced it with a brass nipple.

Well, tonight at the tail end of my ride, about 3/4 of a mile from home, on the last hill, about 5 yards from the top I was standing, giving it all I had left, and I heard "ping." Again, drive side, about three spokes away from the brass one, but this time a trailing spoke, instead of a leading spoke. So that's it for this incarnation of that wheel. I'm not going to bother putting in another nipple.

Happily, Ergott just sent me what I'll be using as the replacement wheelset (Velocity A23 & veloplugs, WI hubs, CXRay spokes, alloy nipples - let's hope those last longer than the C19 nipples, 1520g).

So, I'll pull the rear, and call Topolino to see what they think, before I decide whether I'll have them refurbish the wheel, of just have my LBS replace al the nipples. The bearings are also starting to have some side-play, but I'm not sure if the means worn out bearing or just something in need of adjustment.

Final question: would you go with alloy nipples again, or brass? I think I know what I'm going to do, but won't bias the responses.

Louis

Aluminum nipples do nothing but have less durability..pretty easy IMHO. And not trying to second guess any other wheelbuilder but I will not lace a non eyeleted rim with aluminum nipples, even if you prep each spoke hole, they are just too sharp(the holes).

Mark McM
08-31-2012, 09:34 AM
And not trying to second guess any other wheelbuilder but I will not lace a non eyeleted rim with aluminum nipples, even if you prep each spoke hole, they are just too sharp(the holes).

There are special nipple washers (such as the Sapim HM washers) that are made to deal with using aluminum nipples on non-eyeletted rims. I've used the Weinmann version (no longer available), and they work well.

Nipple washers are typically made of thin stainless steel and are cone-shaped to mate with the underside of the nipple head. They weigh about 0.17 grams each. An aluminum nipple alone is about 1/3 the weight of a brass nipple (0.33 gram and 1.0 gram, respectively), so when you add the weight of the washer, the alum. nipple plus washer is still only 1/2 the weight of a brass nipple.