PDA

View Full Version : If you could only

Jack Brunk
08-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Keep one bike, no back ups nothing. Which would you keep and why?

Mine would be my Firefly 29er titanium hard tail without question. I can do any ride that's out there. It's that good. How about you?

akelman
08-30-2012, 09:50 PM
My Speedvagen. My answer doesn't even require a moment's thought. I've had a lot of really nice bikes, mind you, but the 'Vagen fits me, goes fast when I pedal hard, is comfortable enough to ride all day, and looks the way I want a modern steel bike to look.

G-Reg
08-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Damn near any 29er hard tail would work for me.

dekindy
08-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Serotta Legend.

93legendti
08-30-2012, 10:46 PM
My Serotta Ottrott ST

ergott
08-30-2012, 10:47 PM
My Zanconato. That's the one.

oliver1850
08-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Keep only 1 bike that I own would be a tough call. For how long does it have to be my onliest bike? Do I get to replace it when it breaks, or take to walking?

If it's replaceable, the Cannondale CX would be my choice for an all arounder.

If it's an end of civilization scenario, It would be whatever steel or Ti road frame that takes the biggest tire. Offhand I'd say the Atlanta or the Road Logic.

If I can choose something I don't own, how about a sub 18 lb. stainless or Ti disc Terraplane with front suspension, that will fit a 2" tire?

Ti Designs
08-30-2012, 10:55 PM
I can do any ride that's out there. It's that good.

I've actually tried to do any ride on my La Corsa. I have to say that there are some off road sections it doesn't do so well on. Then again, that flat bar 29er is gonna look a little silly in a road sprint...

Jack Brunk
08-30-2012, 11:00 PM
I've actually tried to do any ride on my La Corsa. I have to say that there are some off road sections it doesn't do so well on. Then again, that flat bar 29er is gonna look a little silly in a road sprint...

Naw my friend. You would never see me in a sprint unless were racing for some Dogfish 90 IPA on tap. I found a new place in Ventura who has it on tap all the time.
Your La Corsa probably wouldn't do well on hell hill out in the park. No worries.

pdmtong
08-30-2012, 11:02 PM
One bike? It would have to be my mtb because I would rather be on dirt than on pavement. way more fun and a lot harder.

Jack Brunk
08-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Keep only 1 bike that I own would be a tough call. For how long does it have to be my onliest bike? Do I get to replace it when it breaks, or take to walking?

If it's replaceable, the Cannondale CX would be my choice for an all arounder.

If it's an end of civilization scenario, It would be whatever steel or Ti road frame that takes the biggest tire. Offhand I'd say the Atlanta or the Road Logic.

If I can choose something I don't own, how about a sub 18 lb. stainless or Ti disc Terraplane with front suspension, that will fit a 2" tire?

Right here right now. Life is short and in the present. You can't choose something you don't own. You must own it. If you only own one bike then it's a simple choice.

Ti Designs
08-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Naw my friend. You would never see me in a sprint unless were racing for some Dogfish 90 IPA on tap. I found a new place in Ventura who has it on tap all the time.
Your La Corsa probably wouldn't do well on hell hill out in the park. No worries.

My La Corsa didn't do so well on the Jeep road in the D2R2 either, but if I'm ever out in Ventura and they have a good stout on tap, I'll take that bet...

Jack Brunk
08-30-2012, 11:18 PM
My La Corsa didn't do so well on the Jeep road in the D2R2 either, but if I'm ever out in Ventura and they have a good stout on tap, I'll take that bet...

No it's on me. They have a 100 different beers on tap and all kinds. It's like a kid in a really awesome candy store. You can also stay at my casa.

choke
08-30-2012, 11:19 PM
If I looked at it logically I'd probably keep the Bianchi CX as it's the most versatile. But I don't ride anything harder than a fire road and the Responsorium will fit 28s so it would be the one.

mcgillicuddy_p
08-30-2012, 11:33 PM
My new steel Dornbox road bike. Why? The short answer is that it makes me smile when I ride it. The long answer is too long for this thread.

Jaq
08-30-2012, 11:37 PM
I only have one bike. I've only ever had one bike. When I got my present bike, I got rid of the last bike.

This is the bike. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=114692)

Next question?

Steve in SLO
08-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Easy. Moots Psychlo-X

Flying Pigeon
08-31-2012, 01:10 AM
I'd have to be able to lock it up, so I guess some sort of cheap cross bike. But for part of the day it would have Enve wheels and a Powertap on it.

carlucci1106
08-31-2012, 01:37 AM

I think of this scenario a lot, and some might think it's funny, but really?

This would change the ball game vs. a recreational need. This is what sometimes prompts me to think about purchasing a first cross bike. You would definitely need something geared neutrally and can handle rough roads.

I'm sure the 29er IS THE SH*^ but I would want something with lower rolling resistance. Maybe if that thing had a 1.5 Hutchinson Python tire on it, it would be the ultimate.

gomango
08-31-2012, 03:55 AM
Simple.

My newest Chris Kvale.

Best riding bicycle I own.

I currently have two on hooks here, but the new one gets ridden 4-5 days of the week.

Gothard
08-31-2012, 04:01 AM
My KirkSpectrum. A new breed of bike from the result of compressing the genes of these 2 fine gents into one Superbuilder.

Gun to my head, one bike only? Please shoot, there is no good answer.

crownjewelwl
08-31-2012, 05:05 AM
Black Sheep hardtail 29er...

JB - you referring to Yardhouse? We just had one open up here

T.J.
08-31-2012, 06:29 AM
easy question, my Speedvagen

xjahx
08-31-2012, 06:39 AM
Geekhouse Woodville/Mudville with room for 40mm.

FlaRider
08-31-2012, 06:47 AM
My Kent Eriksen road bike with new SRAM Red and Enve 1.0 fork.

robin3mj
08-31-2012, 06:58 AM
My Serotta HSG Cross with S&S would do the trick.

fuzzalow
08-31-2012, 07:07 AM
That would be a tough choice to make, but I don't feel that it makes any difference to me. So in a roundabout way, choosing only one is easier than might seem at first glance.

Some have prettier paint jobs, any one will do.

PS: I initially replied by only considering the ride qualities and not the added value and desirability of a bikes craftsmanship and lineage. Which is incomplete. So considering the bigger picture, I'd choose the Vanilla.

parris
08-31-2012, 07:18 AM
I would have to go with my RB-1 over my JKS due to that bike having fender eyelets and more importantly down tube shift lever bosses. That would allow the bike to still be ridden no matter what kind of component mix is available. The thing is that the JKS in addition to riding/handling better has more clearance for bigger tires and if that had down tube bosses it would be hands down the bike I would chose.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Merckx MXLeader...easy...

danielpack22@ma
08-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Firefly "Club Racer"
I can run up to 28s with fenders (32 without). So it covers everything from shop rides to brevets to gravel grinders.

scrubadub
08-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Easy. My Zanconato with Paul Racer brakes and Di2. Room for FMB 27s and fenders, or cross tires without. No problem keeping up on group rides but still perfect for rides like D2R2 or even mild mountain biking.

Might not be so great post-apocalypse though with the Di2. Probablyy fixed gear porteur bike for that situation...

PoppaWheelie
08-31-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm down to three, which feels nice. I'd never want to do it, but I guess I'd need to keep my Eriksen S&S. With 23's it feels like a Marcelo, but it has room for 35's and had fender eyelets. Quick switch of the wheels and I can easily poach singletrack. I'd need a few cassettes tho'. The only downside is that it looks a little funny...sort of like a Swiss Army Knife. I'm still amazed at how good the road manners are considering all the huge clearances. Good voodoo for sure.

FlashUNC
08-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Probably some kind of cross bike. Flexible enough for fast road rides, can handle trails and such as well.

Aaron O
08-31-2012, 09:29 AM
My Koga Miyata traveler. I'd need a versatile do it all bike that was comfortable over distance, with a bail out gear and able to carry groceries, supplies, etc.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/photo.jpg

DHallerman
08-31-2012, 09:36 AM
I've thought about this regularly.

The solo bike I would keep would be my Ibis Sonoma Ti.

Handles wonderfully, very comfortable, fits me perfectly, lighter than most of my bikes, trust it on any ride (even hardpacked dirt), and because it's titanium wears wonderfully.

Probably why I have more lifetime miles on it than any of my other bikes.

Dave, who is looking at the other end of this question by organizing himself to sell 7 bikes including a Serotta Atlanta, a Rivendell Road Standard, a Bridgestone RB-2, an Ibis Spanky, and a Land Shark Road

dauwhe
08-31-2012, 09:39 AM
My 650b Boulder Bicycle, of course! For me, a classic French-style randonneuring bike, with 42mm tires, can do it all. This year, I've done the local club rides, brevets including a 1200k event in Colorado, pulled a trailer containing my four-year-old son, ran errands, and rode D2R2 all on the same bike. When work and family take up most of my time, I can go for a ride after dark. I can bring home a box of peaches from the local orchard. I can ride nearly anywhere, in any weather, and be happy on this bike.

:banana:

Dave

xeladragon
08-31-2012, 09:51 AM
IF Ti Planet Cross in the sig.

Fishbike
08-31-2012, 10:21 AM
I am at work and rather than pondering work I am pondering this question. It's a close call between my custom tig Davidson and my Peg Duende. I would probably go with the Davidson. It is so perfect it is almost boring. But then again the Peg really does have this ineffable ride quality. . . . .

flydhest
08-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Of the bikes I currently own, my Look 585. (that means that my Vanilla track bike, my Legend Ti, and my CSi would have to go--others should note what you are choosing your "keeper" instead of.)

If it is what bike can I imagine owning that would be my one bike . . . harder. Might get a new lugged steel race bike. My CSi bilaminate (half lugs, half filet brazed) and I might want it to be just a bit shorter on the top tube and a slightly smaller frame (it is a 60, I'd go to 58 or 59). The Look is the perfect fit for race season, perhaps a bit too much drop for the middle of the winter. The CSi is great, but at the height of race season, I want a little more drop. Even with the stem all the way down (it is a quill) I want just a bit more.

So, a lugged, steel bike that is very close in fit and identical in handling to my Look.

spiderman
08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
that eric estland is going to make for me someday...
...with integrated lighting and 29er conversion
and belt drive option

don compton
08-31-2012, 10:41 AM
My Rivendell Roadeo. 22lbs. of riding joy. I usually ride with 28's on my A23 wheelset, but could go much larger and still use fenders ( not that I need them in California).:banana:

Charles M
08-31-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm really happy I don't have to apply the question...

It would mean going with the ultimate durability rig versus everything else and that wouldnt be the bike that rides the best.

saab2000
08-31-2012, 10:51 AM
It would be very difficult to choose between my Zanconato lugged road bike and my Pacenti. They are both excellent. The Zanconato was made for me and the Pacenti feels like it was. Honestly in a blind test they'd probably be had to tell apart in ride and handling.

I won't choose now but if I had to keep only one it would be one of those two.

I sold both my Look 585s and I'm sort of regretting at least one of those sales...... It is not out of the question that I would have chosen my 585 Ultra had I not sold it.

But as it sits, I would have to toss a coin between the Zanconato and the Pacenti if I really had to bring only one to a traffic-free island with hundreds of miles of paved roads and a wide variety of terrain.

crankles
08-31-2012, 10:59 AM
my speedvagen cross.

SPOKE
08-31-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm very glad that I don't have to make the choice....:)

But if I could only have one bike for everything it would be aTi 29'er with the slider style dropouts so I could run it fixed/ss or geared by swapping the dropouts.

VA-Scooter
08-31-2012, 11:05 AM
My Lynskey Cooper CX--With just a tire change it does everything I need.

559Rando
08-31-2012, 11:22 AM
My 650b Boulder Bicycle, of course! For me, a classic French-style randonneuring bike, with 42mm tires, can do it all. This year, I've done the local club rides, brevets including a 1200k event in Colorado, pulled a trailer containing my four-year-old son, ran errands, and rode D2R2 all on the same bike. When work and family take up most of my time, I can go for a ride after dark. I can bring home a box of peaches from the local orchard. I can ride nearly anywhere, in any weather, and be happy on this bike.

Dave, nice bike and a lot of good rationale given. I'm looking at building a custom that's in the same vein. And it will be, in all likelihood, my only bike due to lack of space at my new place.

JLNK
08-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Custom Habanero ti road bike with Serotta Rapid Tour geo for a 62cm frame.

PaMtbRider
08-31-2012, 11:43 AM
My Ottrott SE. It doesn't do everything, but it is so good at what it does I would give up my Specialized Crux cyclocross bike, Co-Motion Nor'wester coupled travel bike, Co-Motion coupled tandem, Turner Sultan 29er, Salsa Casseroll....

rickbb
08-31-2012, 11:43 AM
My garden-variety Poprad. Fits me like a glove, I love the ride/handling, don't worry about the paint and it can do anything I'm interested in doing. Like Acadia next week...

Auk
08-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Vagen/Vanilla cross. Geared up and with road tires it will do anything a road frame will do. Geared down and stuffed with fat cross tires, it will hold its own with almost any singletrack . . . not all mind you, but most.

bluesea
08-31-2012, 12:40 PM
After letting it sit for a few weeks, my pre-owned Duende is now approaching 800 tropical mi. It no longer seems as heavy as it did, and reminds me of my lost '76 Cinelli Super Corsa, which is a first. Its all I have.

A Responsorium would be more appropriate for the salt-encrusted tradewinds we have here, but I get ahead of myself (hahaha).

jerome
08-31-2012, 03:31 PM
one of my Moots MX RSL best bike ever if if I had just one a hard-tail mtb for sure it is what I know since I was a kid - it is my core good for everything.

Johnnyg
08-31-2012, 03:56 PM
That's easy, my Storck Fascinario 0.7. Wow what a ride, perfect fit, light, stiff and compliant.

dd74
08-31-2012, 04:15 PM
My Colnago Super. Sold it once and purchased it back because I missed it so much. Updating it might be my next year's project. We'll see.

rbtmcardle
08-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Very thought provoking... I would keep the spectrum ti because it can do everything with it. The Meivici goes.

Though that Boulder 650b posted earlier really gets the mind going, I am thinking perhaps I sell the spectrum to help fund a Kirk custom cross that can do anything... With fender mounts and cages...

67-59
08-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Easy question, because I only have one bike (:eek:) - my lugged-steel Kirk road bike with the Terraplane stays. My only bike for the last 8 seasons, and still going strong after 40,000+ miles.:banana:

slowgoing
08-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Close call. The MX Leader just loses out to the Spectrum 30th anniversary rando, mostly because the latter takes wider tires and racks and fenders.

T.J.
08-31-2012, 05:35 PM
pretty cool that i believe 4 of the replies have been for their Vanilla/Speedvagen:banana:

pdmtong
08-31-2012, 07:28 PM
the challenge here is if you actually ride end enjoy multiple disciplines...

for instance I like to
- road
- cross
- mtb XC
- mtb AM
- mtb DH
- tandem dirt

which does not include
- track
- crit
- TT
- tandem road
- fixed

etc.....

so I guess for me, I'll cheat....

I orignally said mtb as my ONE AND ONLY bike....still true.

But, if you let me have a road machine it'd be my vanilla for the same reasons articulated by fuzzalow.

T.J.
08-31-2012, 07:33 PM
But, if you let me have a road machine it'd be my vanilla for the same reasons articulated by fuzzalow.

i think i would like your vanilla as my only bike to :p

Llewellyn
08-31-2012, 07:34 PM
This is easy

My Llewellyn. Why - because it does everything I need from a road bike, and it does it while looking like a modern classic

mjbrekke
08-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Simple--my Ottrott ST. It's the best at my favorite type of riding. No other bike I've ever thrown a leg over is even close.

Jack Brunk
08-31-2012, 10:32 PM
that most have given really good answers but you guys that have been putting your nuts on the fence need to make a call. Only one bike. Common Saab and et al.

Seems all around bikes are the choice. Kinda surprising.

Sandy
08-31-2012, 10:53 PM
It would probably be the bike that is being built presently at the local shop for me-

A KBedford sport tourer. My criteria were:

1. Increased stability at speed- Trail is 6.3.
2. Ability to use tires larger that 700x25: 700X28, 700x32- Has an Enve cross fork to accommodate such.
3. Sloping top tube- I have decreased flexibility and poor core strength (osteoarthritis in hips and back). Will have a 5 degree slope so it will be easier to get on and off of the saddle.

It has a 50/34 compact crank set and a 11-34 mountain cassette. Obviously some extremely low gears.

I assume that will turn out to be the best bike for me.

Sandy

fuzzalow
08-31-2012, 11:10 PM
It would be interesting if some of the posters here could elaborate on why their choice was arrived at. We know that there are some very fine rides in the mix owned by some of you from your posts in the galleries. So this is a knowledgeable crowd and some very fine bikes didn't make the cut. Why?

esldude
08-31-2012, 11:22 PM
I tire of such questions. What situation? End of the world, your final bike? You have had terrible circumstances, are bankrupt what would you have? Etc. etc.

End of the world is some titanium CX or hardtail MTB.

Broke and no choice, anything you can. Including a Walmart water pipe bike, anything with two wheels. The oldest, cruddiest bike you can get on craigslist or a pawnshop for $10-$50.

You have a ton of money, superb taste, and yet live where you can have only one two wheeler? Heck depends on your particular interests.

Stupid question really without some additional parameters.

Jack Brunk
08-31-2012, 11:40 PM
I tire of such questions. What situation? End of the world, your final bike? You have had terrible circumstances, are bankrupt what would you have? Etc. etc.

Broke and no choice, anything you can. Including a Walmart water pipe bike, anything with two wheels. The oldest, cruddiest bike you can get on craigslist or a pawnshop for $10-$50.

You have a ton of money, superb taste, and yet live where you can have only one two wheeler? Heck depends on your particular interests.

No not really, if you could have one of your bikes which one would you keep? If you don't want to answer please don't. I don't like being called stupid.
This is just fun stuff.

pdmtong
09-01-2012, 12:43 AM
that most have given really good answers but you guys that have been putting your nuts on the fence need to make a call. Only one bike. Common Saab and et al.

ok ok ok...you are just killing me here.

nuts on the fence is NOT a good visual. I will have to drink that image away right now with a little sippy of bruichladidch PC6.

I choose my mtb over the vanilla...only because dirt has and always will peg the fun meter for me.

sorry its a big box bike. I like full-susp and this thing locks out on all the small stuff so it really does get close to a hardtail.

2010 s-works stumpjumper.
140mm. 22.8#'s with pedals. yes. 140mm!

imagine...the thing weighs less than my '99 s-works fsr-xc...which arguably was the first light full-susp bike. 80mm travel and v-brakes (24.5#s)

esldude
09-01-2012, 02:35 AM
No not really, if you could have one of your bikes which one would you keep? If you don't want to answer please don't. I don't like being called stupid.
This is just fun stuff.

I didn't call you stupid. I said I tire of such questions. You could consider your question tiresome. I still didn't call you tiresome.

And restating your question to "if you could have one of your bikes which one would you keep" again depends on the circumstances and why. If you just trying to get me to say which I like best and why, well depends. I have more than one for more than one purpose.

I could answer that I would keep the one I have had for 31 years, because I have had it the longest. I could answer that I would keep a MTB because you can ride a MTB on and off road easier than you can ride a road bike off road. The one I ride most lately that would be my most up to date best equipped road bike. If I were moving and could only carry one, well that would depend on where I was moving to and what the riding was like there. That is what I mean about answering your question. It is so open ended it is near meaningless. So I don't have an answer because your question is too open ended.

Llewellyn
09-01-2012, 04:19 AM
I didn't call you stupid. I said I tire of such questions. You could consider your question tiresome. I still didn't call you tiresome.

And restating your question to "if you could have one of your bikes which one would you keep" again depends on the circumstances and why. If you just trying to get me to say which I like best and why, well depends. I have more than one for more than one purpose.

I could answer that I would keep the one I have had for 31 years, because I have had it the longest. I could answer that I would keep a MTB because you can ride a MTB on and off road easier than you can ride a road bike off road. The one I ride most lately that would be my most up to date best equipped road bike. If I were moving and could only carry one, well that would depend on where I was moving to and what the riding was like there. That is what I mean about answering your question. It is so open ended it is near meaningless. So I don't have an answer because your question is too open ended.

Wow. Maybe you should just take a chill pill and go for a ride

fuzzalow
09-01-2012, 05:25 AM
I said I tire of such questions.

Tragic that no joy was brought to you this thread. Then just move along.

oldpotatoe
09-01-2012, 07:19 AM

If you tire of such questions, why answer them?

jpw
09-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Serotta coupled titanium. Probably a cross or a cross variant. Something for wider tires, and fenders.

rugbysecondrow
09-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Bedford sport tourer. Great fit, great ride, fat tires, fender and rack capable, comfy without being sluggish or slow. Could fit knobby cross or skinny race tires, depending on the occasion. Used on off road trails and pavement alike.

Oh yea, it has couplers too...it is a keeper.

Fixed
09-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Bedford sport tourer. Great fit, great ride, fat tires, fender and rack capable, comfy without being sluggish or slow. Could fit knobby cross or skinny race tires, depending on the occasion. Used on off road trails and pavement alike.

Oh yea, it has couplers too...it is a keeper.

+1.
Or. sandy's +1. Too
Cheers

gomango
09-01-2012, 08:30 AM
It would be interesting if some of the posters here could elaborate on why their choice was arrived at. We know that there are some very fine rides in the mix owned by some of you from your posts in the galleries. So this is a knowledgeable crowd and some very fine bikes didn't make the cut. Why?

Great question.

I chose my newer Chris Kvale as I have been doing 95% of my riding this year on roads.

I have too many nice bikes around here, but I find this is the one I almost always grab for all sorts of rides.

Even though the frame details are pretty, the overall ride provided by the frameset, wheels and tires are the "what" that makes me smile every time.

In addition, I like riding Campy equipped bicycles and this one has a nice combo of Campy goodness.

Another piece I like is that Chris Kvale is a Minneapolis,Mn builder and I live in St. Paul. I like to support local builders when possible and I am saving quarters for a Dave Anderson within the next year or so.

So, this is just the right combo for me most of the time.

At this moment.

Now if the same question would be asked in the fall during cross season, I'll reserve the right to choose another bicycle if that's ok.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7227/7330347860_e06e223724_o.jpg

gone
09-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Nice Chris Kvale! A Dave Anderson would be on my list too if I were in the market - which brings me to the topic at hand.

This is something I think about quite often. Not because I actually want to get rid of any of my bikes but to crystallize my thinking about what I like about each of my bikes and what the "perfect" bike would be. I guess I'm somewhat at odds with the utilitarian trend (able to mount big tires, fenders, etc) because I have a bike like that - a Kirk set up in randonneuring style that rides wonderfully well, is able to mount fenders with 32 mm tires (that's how it's set up now). The thing is though, it's heavy (relative to my other bikes) at somewhere in the mid-20's. When I'm doing back-to-back 100+ mile days, which I do fairly often, it's not the one I'd take. Come to think of it, the only time I did take it for that sort of ride I spent a fair amount of time wishing I'd brought another bike, especially on long climbs.

So of the 11 road bikes I have, I'd shrink it down to four. The first three were custom made for me. Coincidentally, the ones made for me (the first three on the list) are all made from different frame materials:

A Serotta Legend ST, a Parlee Z1X, a Kirk JKS Terraplane and a Nagasawa road.

Ones that don't make the "cut":

A Columbus Max Landshark, a Colnago Master ti, a Soma Double Cross, a Calfee Bamboo Pro, the "rando" Kirk, an S&S Serotta CII and a Softride.

If I really could only have one, it'd probably be the Serotta Legend ST.

Glad I don't really have to make the choice :banana:

tuscanyswe
09-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Tough choice but id got with my moots road bike over the moots cross. Sure the cross is more versatile but i enjoy riding the roadie more.

If one could never change bike ever again id go with the cross tho :)

Aaron O
09-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Great question.

I chose my newer Chris Kvale as I have been doing 95% of my riding this year on roads.

I have too many nice bikes around here, but I find this is the one I almost always grab for all sorts of rides.

Even though the frame details are pretty, the overall ride provided by the frameset, wheels and tires are the "what" that makes me smile every time.

In addition, I like riding Campy equipped bicycles and this one has a nice combo of Campy goodness.

Another piece I like is that Chris Kvale is a Minneapolis,Mn builder and I live in St. Paul. I like to support local builders when possible and I am saving quarters for a Dave Anderson within the next year or so.

So, this is just the right combo for me most of the time.

At this moment.

Now if the same question would be asked in the fall during cross season, I'll reserve the right to choose another bicycle if that's ok.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7227/7330347860_e06e223724_o.jpg

That bike is everything a road bike should be...WOW!

If I were choosing the bike I most enjoy, it's easy - the Marnati, but I'd need something versatile because my bike is my transportation.

Ken Robb
09-01-2012, 11:33 AM
I have 3 bikes that could only children. Hampsten Strada Bianca by MOOTS w/YBB rear end and Alpha Q fork, 9spd. Campy, 50-34 Ritchey crank, Pauls cantis. It has clearance for at least 32mm tires but feels very much like my Legend when running the same 700x28 tires.

Rivendell Rambouillet with 9spd Ultegra triple brifters medium reach brakes. Heavier, no rear suspension but 44.5cm chainstays help cushion the ride. It has eyelets for fenders and racks and mounts for three water bottles. Good all around ride and good for credit card touring.

Riv Allrounder which is very similar to the current production Atlantis. Like a beefed up Rambouillet with 45.5 chainstays, stouter tubes, and clearance for 700x52mm tires. This is approved for loaded touring on/off road but it isn't too truck-like when ridden unloaded. It is 7 spd. Shimano 732 mtn. hub,11-34 cassette on the rear, SON Dyno Hub in front, 36 hole touring rims, Ultegra 52-42-30 cranks, Sun Tour Power Ratchet shifters, Shimano XT cantis.

T.J.
09-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Holy poop you run 52 mm tires? I look down at my 25's on my A23's and think they are wide!

djg
09-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Tough choice but id got with my moots road bike over the moots cross. Sure the cross is more versatile but i enjoy riding the roadie more.

I hear ya. I love cross -- for which you need a cross bike -- and a good cross bike can be pretty darn versatile (especially if it happens to have . . . shudder . . . one or two sets of water bottle bosses), but racing or not, sometimes on the road, a really good road bike . . . well . . . that's the thing.

jonsamg
09-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Either my Parlee Z5 or my Niner Jet9. The only reason it is a question is because it is hard to ride the Parlee with my daughter. So, would need the Niner to be able to ride with her.

esldude
09-01-2012, 01:44 PM
If you tire of such questions, why answer them?

I didn't really answer it. I provided possible answers to illustrate why I think the question in the end is meaningless. Its okay. Plenty were happy to answer it apparently. Though many also didn't really narrow it down to one.

I think this is a question that probably could have been simply asked as "which of your bikes do you like best and why?"

Guess I was overly sensitive. A friend who literally is in a situation where he has no choice except for one had someone ask him this same question. If you could have only one, which kind would it be and why? The questioner was asking it in a philosophical manner as a thought experiment. The other guy was in the process of being forced to make that decision.

Having to genuinely make that decision in reality, having to make that decision, is in several ways qualitatively different than thinking about which of your favorite bikes you would most like to keep. The factors that effect that decision for real are much different and weigh much differently than just considering it. And it is not at all a happy experience.

rugbysecondrow
09-01-2012, 02:57 PM
If money was a factor, no bike would work for me.

Bike(s) are wants for me, not needs. If it were between keeping a bike or paying a bill, bye bye bike, you can be replaced.

I was viewing the question from a space perspective, if I were moving to an urban condo, and space was limited...

I didn't really answer it. I provided possible answers to illustrate why I think the question in the end is meaningless. Its okay. Plenty were happy to answer it apparently. Though many also didn't really narrow it down to one.

I think this is a question that probably could have been simply asked as "which of your bikes do you like best and why?"

Guess I was overly sensitive. A friend who literally is in a situation where he has no choice except for one had someone ask him this same question. If you could have only one, which kind would it be and why? The questioner was asking it in a philosophical manner as a thought experiment. The other guy was in the process of being forced to make that decision.

Having to genuinely make that decision in reality, having to make that decision, is in several ways qualitatively different than thinking about which of your favorite bikes you would most like to keep. The factors that effect that decision for real are much different and weigh much differently than just considering it. And it is not at all a happy experience.

jr59
09-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Hey look I can still post.

The one bike I would have is the bike being built right now.
ti Spectrum sport tourer. 32 tires w/o fenders, smaller ti rack on the back.

biker72
09-01-2012, 03:06 PM
I've got a steel Paramount.
A titanium Serotta.
An aluminum Specialized Allez.
But the one all around I'd keep is the cheapest bike I own. A Specialized Tricross purchased from a forum member. Ultegra/Dura Ace mix with Continental 4 Season 700x28 tires.

gomango
09-01-2012, 03:52 PM
That bike is everything a road bike should be...WOW!

If I were choosing the bike I most enjoy, it's easy - the Marnati, but I'd need something versatile because my bike is my transportation.

Thanks Aaron.

There are many times I could get by without a car, but probably not all the time until the boys are off to college.

I'm sure I'd come up with a different bicycle for everyday use when they ship out.

pureretro
09-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Keep my 2001 C40. Familiar with it enough and hope to outrun the rapture.

sevencyclist
09-01-2012, 05:34 PM
I would keep my Coconino hardtail with Rohloff setup.

I have spent roughly 90% of my riding on the dirt this year (probably because the MTB is new this year), and singletrack riding is my favorite type of riding. Even when I just got my Richard Sachs road bike, I was spending at least 50% of my time on the old MTB. A MTB can be ridden on the road, but road bike does not cover the steep singletracks so well.

The Rohloff setup allows for low maintenence riding without worries of chainsuck for those muddy winter rides. The gearing range allows for slow crawl up a steep hill as well as fast descents up to 35-40 MPH which is probably my upper limit for how fast I want to go without worries of crashing. The weight is the only negative for me with this bike. My Seven hardtail with XTR is easily 5 lbs lighter, but I am in no hurry when I ride, and the exprience of riding comfortably out in nature is what I enjoy the most.

Bob Loblaw
09-01-2012, 05:35 PM
I could not imagine relying on just one bike. In the past 10 years, I have not had a bicycle frame last longer than 8,000 miles before breaking.

BL

or277
09-01-2012, 05:48 PM
For me it would have to be a cross bike

harlond
09-01-2012, 06:14 PM
The bike that I like riding best is my Atlanta Concept single speed. If it is not end of the world, that one. End of the world either my Raleigh 20 with Sturmey Archer 3-speed IGH and rack with crate or my MB3.

kohlboto
09-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Hampsten Strada Bianca Ti...
btw, it's ordered but not here yet, does that count?

Nelson99
09-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Wouldnt do it unless I was forced to. In that case any bike would be better than no bike. Maybe an old Sturmey-Archer three speed if Beggars could be choosers.

If not forced to reduce to just one bike, but forced to pare down to the bare minimum of current rides, I'd keep my Pivot 5.7 (no brainer), and (this part is really hard) probably the Look KG481 that I am building now.

Here's hoping we don't have to do this. I'd certainly rather pare down cars than bikes.

Ken Robb
09-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Holy poop you run 52 mm tires? I look down at my 25's on my A23's and think they are wide!

Nah, I run 700x37 on my Allrounder but I rode one with 700x52 tires at Riv International HQ. At 40psi it was PLUSH and not as sluggish as one might fear. I guess you could call it a 29er.:banana:

Ken Robb
09-01-2012, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=sevencyclist;1197570\
The gearing range allows for slow crawl up a steep hill as well as fast descents up to 35-40 MPH which is probably my upper limit for how fast I want to go without worries of crashing. [/QUOTE]

If you crash once at 40mph you will worry about it the next time. :)

oldforester
09-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Would have to be my Trek Antelope. Have tried to kill it many times but it goes everywhere and does everything. As long as my Meivici can't read this I'm ok.

Jack Brunk
09-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Hampsten Strada Bianca Ti...
btw, it's ordered but not here yet, does that count?

If you've had one ride on it in your mind then yes it counts since it's been ordered. Your good my friend.:banana::):hello:

StephenCL
09-01-2012, 11:30 PM
I think I will be buried with my Zanconato Max bike...it is right on so many levels.... super fast, super stiff, super resilient, corners like its on rails, and all under 17 lbs....looks a bit different than this these days...but I think you get the picture!

Ken Robb
09-01-2012, 11:47 PM
I think I will be buried with my Zanconato Max bike...it is right on so many levels.... super fast, super stiff, super resilient, corners like its on rails, and all under 17 lbs....looks a bit different than this these days...but I think you get the picture!

Help me reconcile super stiff with super resilient. Is this the classic vertically compliant but laterally stiff? :)

jpw
09-02-2012, 04:11 AM
In the past 10 years, I have not had a bicycle frame last longer than 8,000 miles before breaking.

BL

Where are they breaking?

npep
09-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Maybe my Redline MonoCog 29'r...just like the simpleness and throwback to some bmx days!:)

fuzzalow
09-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Inquired earlier about how and why the way they choose the way they choose in picking just one bike.

From my point of view, once I have a setup zeroed in, they all ride pretty much the same. Steel, titanium, carbon, aluminium, got 'em all. Zeroed in, they ride the same. You guys that can feel the difference in stiffness at the bottom bracket between 2 carbon frames have got it all over me. 'Cos I can't tell - differences that can be measured with the frame in a test jig is a magnitude that will not blip on my radar.

Where they differ is in the handling, which is geometry-dependent, and in road feel, which is dependent to the frame material. If these 2 things are already included when ride quality is talked about then allow me to make the finer distinction. And even of these 2 qualities, I can adapt to handling differences by adjusting my line on corner entry once I know how it turns in. Road feel? Just means I'm not wild about Al bikes.

I won't choose a bike because of its paint job, but the reasoning may not be too far behind that. Because they all ride good, the fit on each one is perfect, the bikes look good, the name on the downtube is Italian or artisan-class.

So after all, it simply comes down to emotion. And emotion can't be explained. And if it could be explained, the reasons would be anything your heart told you to say. All this from a collection of tubing and tires.

StephenCL
09-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Actually, it is what is missing from todays plastic bikes..Even though the MAX is quite rigid, especially at the bottom bracket, you can still "feel" the steel springing back at you at each forceful pedal stroke. Contrast this feeling with my Pinarello Dogma Carbon....where every pedal stroke may push you forward, but I feel NOTHING back. With some of the new MAX frames that Mike is building that are tig'ed I can really get the best of both worlds. I am only giving up a pound to the lightest plastic bikes, yet I can have made to measure, resilient, stiff enough steel. My goal is to build up a 16 pound stiff, steel race bike for next season. But now I am starting to spoil stuff that is in the works :).

Help me reconcile super stiff with super resilient. Is this the classic vertically compliant but laterally stiff? :)

sevencyclist
09-04-2012, 06:16 PM
I would keep my Coconino hardtail with Rohloff setup.

I have spent roughly 90% of my riding on the dirt this year (probably because the MTB is new this year), and singletrack riding is my favorite type of riding. Even when I just got my Richard Sachs road bike, I was spending at least 50% of my time on the old MTB. A MTB can be ridden on the road, but road bike does not cover the steep singletracks so well.

The Rohloff setup allows for low maintenence riding without worries of chainsuck for those muddy winter rides. The gearing range allows for slow crawl up a steep hill as well as fast descents up to 35-40 MPH which is probably my upper limit for how fast I want to go without worries of crashing. The weight is the only negative for me with this bike. My Seven hardtail with XTR is easily 5 lbs lighter, but I am in no hurry when I ride, and the exprience of riding comfortably out in nature is what I enjoy the most.
Adding Picture

pdmtong
09-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Adding Picture

you think this is bad-ass in the picture? let me tell you that one 100' ride in a parking lot was all I needed to affirm that yea, this is one bad-ass purpose-built machine. steve delivered on all the details. time for it to be raced in the 24hrs of adrenaline ....

benc
09-04-2012, 08:01 PM
I only rode one bike all summer as a pointless expirement. It can be done. My Soma doublecross fits 42's easy, its all day comfortable and will go fast. It has recently seen lots of bars and restaraunts, bum trails, gravel, rooty singletrack, tons of road miles and performed way above my ability in crit.
http://ckdake.com/gallery2/gallery/86415-4/_MG_8970.jpg

xjoex
09-05-2012, 10:38 AM
I used to think I would keep my CX bike and get rid of everything else. But I say now, its my mtn bike. A 2008 Turner Flux. I have a bit of wandering eye syndrome and want a 29er hard tail if I am being honest.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PvI2tG3EHMQ/T-ZR_My7hJI/AAAAAAAAFr0/sfAR8Awfey4/s640/IMG_6892.jpg

Two pics, cause I like it that much.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hP5h3dhzijU/T-ZR5XYrEyI/AAAAAAAAFqk/E1UcdA2qjBA/s640/IMG_6417.jpg

I got to take a Niner Rip9 FS 29er bike out for a ride this weekend. It was nice but ti did not blow my mind.

-Joe

wc1934
09-05-2012, 08:41 PM

How bad of a thread could it be - You read thru 4 pages before you posted the nonsense above.

Jack Brunk
09-05-2012, 10:49 PM
I haven't ridden it in a while so tonight I took it out and got in a sweet 25 miles of mostly single track. This thing would fill most riding voids. Exact geo of my Firefly and handles oh so sweetly. Was going to sell it but now I'm not so sure.

Marco
09-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Beautiful ride but, what/who is the builder? And is that a full suspension? Do tell!

Jack Brunk
09-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Beautiful ride but, what/who is the builder? And is that a full suspension? Do tell!

Marco,

Brand is Blacksheep made by James Blakeley in Fort Collins Colorado. Model is Highlight ST titanium 29er single pivot full suspension with four inches of rear travel. I had the frame made with the ability to convert from SS mode to geared if I wanted to change. Everything about this bike is just about perfect for me. Only thing i'm not big on any full suspension ride so it sits in the garage.

Nelson99
09-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Marco,

Brand is Blacksheep made by James Blakeley in Fort Collins Colorado. Model is Highlight ST titanium 29er single pivot full suspension with four inches of rear travel. I had the frame made with the ability to convert from SS mode to geared if I wanted to change. Everything about this bike is just about perfect for me. Only thing i'm not big on any full suspension ride so it sits in the garage.

Four inches on that design? That's impressive.

Nelson99
09-06-2012, 07:50 PM
I used to think I would keep my CX bike and get rid of everything else. But I say now, its my mtn bike. A Turner Flux.

With the possible exception of Chris Cocalis, Dave Turner makes the best mountain bikes ive ever ridden. I really admire his dedication to ride and build quality. Both are first class builders/designers.

saab2000
09-06-2012, 08:05 PM

It would be with no small amount of anguish, but I would probably choose the Pacenti if I could only keep one single bike out of my fleet.

I'm glad I don't have to make that choice. The rationale is as follows.

Today I rode my Serotta Colorado III. Superb bicycle in every way, except that it's probably 1cm too big in top tube and seat tube. That can be compensated for but it's still there. But the ride of the oversized welded steel is excellent. Perfect combination of light weight and stiffness and subtle ride qualities over the surface.

The Zanconato has all this too but is probably slightly less stiff and responsive at the very ragged edge of performance. It's all there. Don't get me wrong. But the Pacenti is slightly lighter and stiffer than the other two with all the other good qualities of steel. In a blind test they'd be hard to tell apart but I think the Pacenti is a slightly stiffer ride at the edge of performance.

If the Serotta CIII fit a bit better it would likely be the keeper of the three.

Like I said, I'm glad I don't have to make the choice for real. And my answer may change tomorrow. But based on my current mood, I'd say the Pacenti.

I'm a sucker for colors.... This one needs more. :D Also, it would not be hard to take 2-3 lbs off it and get it close to 15-16 lbs. I don't know what it weighs right now but it's not horribly heavy. Likely in the 18-19 lb range. Smooth ride but stiff. And handling is totally intuitive, like the CIII and Zanconato. All three are super easy to ride.

Jack, you have my answer. That could change tomorrow or next week....

Jack Brunk
09-06-2012, 08:37 PM
James,

That bike is off the chart awesome. You know how to make a racing bike look just about perfect. Thanks for the answer.

akelman
09-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Jack, what's your saddle height on that Sheep?

Dekonick
09-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Serotta Legend.

Yeah, But I will trump it with this:

Serotta Legend (Hors Categorie) DKS - that has been modified by the master himself K. Bedford...

Chopped, retrofit with S&S, and other magic touches...

It is my favorite bike. A CLOSE second (well - almost equal) is my Bedford tourer.

Now, If I could get a Hors Cat, with S&S, made for 32 or 35 tires... THAT would win - hands down.

Jack Brunk
09-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Jack, what's your saddle height on that Sheep?

73.5 cm. I tend to run my Mtn seat height a tad lower.

weisan
05-20-2014, 01:41 AM
Reviving an old thread started by our pal Jack Brunk to see what the current crowd thinks...

djg
05-20-2014, 06:36 AM
Tough call. Probably keep the Spectrum cross bike because it could work pretty well as an all 'rounder -- slap some road wheels/tires and you're good on pavement, wider tires and you can do the dirt/gravel thing, cross tires and you can race cross. I know it's not going to do some of what folks want in an mtb bike, but I'm not really an mtb rider. Plus -- it's a great bike, and it's real purty, AND, AND, AND, I'm still hoping to be healthy and tolerably fit for a season of cross (which I missed last year), but not really thinking hard or even fantasizing about another road season.

I could simplify without feeling much of a pinch, but without some real pressure from the outside, I'd probably stop at two rather than one.

rinconryder
05-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Sort of like Jack it would have to be a mountain bike for sure. Mountain biking brings me way more pleasure than road riding so the tool has to be capable of that. I like road riding and all but it just doesn't get my adrenaline going like riding some good Santa Cruz single track.

Which would leave me with my Giant Anthem x 29er. Nothing sexy about this bike but it gets the job done and keeps me smiling.

d_douglas
05-20-2014, 11:27 AM
I have a ti Desalvo cyclocross with disc brakes.

I would say that with the extent of my off-roading these days, a nice CX bike would do me as my lone bike. I have ridden 50km on it and it handles like a road bike when necessary and have hit some pretty fun dirt trails with equal ability.

mhespenheide
05-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Well, it doesn't exist, but I'd look to build a titanium version of my LeMond Poprad with some other updates and some small geometry tweaks. If I had way more disposable income than I do, I'd get it in custom carbon from Alchemy or a similar builder. Were I forced to have only one bike, it would be good enough for almost all of the different riding I do. I don't know if I'd go for disc brakes or mini-v's.

Don't tell that to my wife, though... :banana:

mhespenheide
05-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Well, going back to the original question -- which stipulated that you have to currently own said question, I'd go with the current Poprad. Two sets of wheels, one for gravel and one for road, would do me pretty darn well...

CaptStash
05-20-2014, 01:31 PM
I was all ready to say my IF Crown Jewel, but then I though about being able to take a bike with me and realized if I could have only one, even though it's not nearly my "best" bike, I'd hold on to the McMahon ti coupler. It rides well enough, and can go with me just about anywhere I go.

CaptStash....

AngryScientist
05-08-2020, 11:53 AM
BUMP-a-ROO

Did you post here in 2012?

Do you still have the bike you posted about??

:banana::banana::banana:

FlashUNC
05-08-2020, 11:57 AM
BUMP-a-ROO

:banana::banana::banana:

I did, and 2012 me was a moron.

tuscanyswe
05-08-2020, 11:57 AM

Nope guess i have neither of the 2 i mentioned back then .)
But i have other nice bikes :banana:

Coffee Rider
05-08-2020, 12:19 PM
I didn't post here in 2012, but if I could only keep one of the bikes I still own that I owned in 2012, it would probably be my pink-ish Serotta Legend for sentimental reasons. For purposes of my favorite bike for riding purposes within these parameters, it would be my Parlee Z3, which is able to accommodate pretty wide tires in terms of 28mm Conti GP4000s that measure about 31.5mm wide and are also pretty tall. Since 2012, I've had the bike retrofitted for internal Di2 compatibility. My answer would be different based on bikes I own today. It may also be different in the future based on what bikes I have then.

clyde the point
05-08-2020, 01:33 PM
Ritchey Logic Disc. With 32's I can ride pretty much anywhere I want.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49599906992_5bf6eaac9c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iyYujd)IMG_1534 (https://flic.kr/p/2iyYujd) by Clyde the Pointer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/148750154@N02/), on Flickr

dbh
05-08-2020, 02:20 PM
I never commented on the original thread, but I only have one functional bike in my possession from 2012 that I still own today, and it could definitely work for an n=1 setup:

https://live.staticflickr.com/7384/8725539079_120b7a2166_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ei3ELX)Landshark cross bike, Columbus Max, Team 7-11 colors (https://flic.kr/p/ei3ELX) by dbh1836 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/25850012@N05/), on Flickr

Toddtwenty2
05-08-2020, 02:26 PM
This fellow works wonderfully for anything in Michigan. It's currently setup for meandering amongst different roads and trails with 32's.

It can also easily switch to a fast road bike with a wheel change or a fendered/racked up commuter if my work were in a more bike-friendly locale.

The only use it wouldn't work well for us full-on touring or mountain bike rides outside of my local area, but that is not much of a concern in my current life stage. It would suffice for light or credit card tours, and bike rentals are available for exceptional events.

AngryScientist
05-08-2020, 02:41 PM
I never actually answered in 2012 either, but if i could only keep one bike, it would have to be one that allowed me to ride road most of the time, but still hit dirt often. i would not be able to not have a bike for the lovely dirt roads of vermont, upstate NY, MA and even here in NJ.

That said, i rarely ever want more than a 32mm tire.

So, with that said, my only bike would probably go back to the first custom bike i ever had made for me.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-m1358ShhCMI/XkllEwX9wTI/AAAAAAAADgg/BaqJtKAi5UQzwphUzc3DjJxvQiHidvXOACLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_2563.jpg

sparky33
05-08-2020, 02:50 PM
This fellow works wonderfully for anything in Michigan. It's currently setup for meandering amongst different roads and trails with 32's.

That Kirk reminds me of my old green canti Kirk MRB (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1528256&postcount=41) that once was my only bike. It was all the bike I could have wanted for anything. Amazing bike that I rode everywhere.

These days, I'd pick my 650b Firefly (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2684052&postcount=70) with nice Compass tires and Enve G27s. I think the current Stigmata with similar 650b kit would also do the job.

Toddtwenty2
05-08-2020, 03:01 PM
I see the resemblance!

Your bikes are all exceptionally lovely. I don't subscribe to just having one
bike, so I'm glad we're around the same size... ; )

That Kirk reminds me of my old green canti Kirk MRB (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1528256&postcount=41) that once was my only bike. It was all the bike I could have wanted for anything. Amazing bike that I rode everywhere.

These days, I'd pick my 650b Firefly (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2684052&postcount=70) with nice Compass tires and Enve G27s. I think the current Stigmata with similar 650b kit would also do the job.

texbike
05-08-2020, 04:28 PM
I didn't answer the question previously in this thread, but have in another, similar thread several years ago. If I could only keep one bike, it would be my Redline 29r MonoCog. It's simple and a blast to ride. Like a big BMX bike. Neighborhood, trails, whatever. It's always fun.

Texbike

mhespenheide
05-08-2020, 05:33 PM

I posted, but sold the LeMond Poprad when I moved from Seattle down here. That was a mistake. I'm looking for another to replace it, but not all that actively. I'll either find the right one or something similar.

rounder
05-08-2020, 07:47 PM
If I could only have one bike, it would be the steel road bike that Kelly Bedford built for me (team blue/orange colors like the awesome Le Mans Ford GTs and Porsche team cars). I don't even ride it that much except for sunny days...but I love it.

Mainly ride my Serotta CIII and K. Bedford cross bike, which I also love.

All of the pictures of the Jack Brunk bikes looked beautiful. Hope he would have liked mine.

gbcoupe
05-08-2020, 07:58 PM
Won't take big tires. Not very versatile. Kinda heavy. Just a damn fine riding bike. Looks good to me as well.

rnhood
05-08-2020, 08:03 PM
What ever happened to Jack? Brings back some good memories. At one time it seemed like he had just about every shop in the country building a bike for him.

FlashUNC
05-08-2020, 09:10 PM
What ever happened to Jack? Brings back some good memories. At one time it seemed like he had just about every shop in the country building a bike for him.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=204702

choke
05-08-2020, 09:25 PM
I did answer the first time around and still have the bike.

I didn't have the Strada Bianca then and it would now be the one that I'd keep.

http://hampco.ciocctoo.com/829-4.JPG