PDA

View Full Version : discovered a Park tool i do not like

vqdriver
08-30-2012, 08:38 PM
i carry their little set of three tire levers in each of my saddle bags and had use for a set so i pulled em out and put em to use. i've been so impressed with park tool stuff that i swore i was doing something wrong. but the tire beads kept slipping and the lever lips never caught on to the rim for any leverage. finally dug thru my tool box and found a single cheap performance lever and that did the trick. wow, hate to see what happens in the middle of a ride.

pinkshogun
08-30-2012, 08:53 PM
i dont like their plastic tire tools either. Pedros works well for me

LegendRider
08-30-2012, 08:55 PM
i dont like their plastic tire tools either. Pedros works well for me

Totally agree on both.

eddief
08-30-2012, 08:55 PM
but many other blue handled things i like.

i carry their little set of three tire levers in each of my saddle bags and had use for a set so i pulled em out and put em to use. i've been so impressed with park tool stuff that i swore i was doing something wrong. but the tire beads kept slipping and the lever lips never caught on to the rim for any leverage. finally dug thru my tool box and found a single cheap performance lever and that did the trick. wow, hate to see what happens in the middle of a ride.

BillG
08-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Definitely Pedros not Park for the levers.

DAG
08-30-2012, 09:50 PM
All the way. Pah on levers.

Hank Scorpio
08-30-2012, 10:02 PM
I like the Schwalbe flat levers

cmbicycles
08-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Park also has a set of two tire levers that look much like the pedros... anyone tried them? The 3 pack has a wierd tip design that does tend to slip off, but better than nothing I suppose.

Marcusaurelius
08-30-2012, 10:15 PM
I've broken several park but pedros has fared better.

kohlboto
08-30-2012, 10:27 PM
I like the Schwalbe flat levers

Love the Schwalbe...mostly because I like saying "Schwalbe". But, also, they work amazingly well.

VulcanVillain
08-30-2012, 10:42 PM
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t365/vulcanvillain/8b413894.jpg

buldogge
08-30-2012, 10:47 PM
I generally don't have a problem with the plain jane Park levers...we use piles of them at the co-op...I have several sets in different saddlebags as well.

If you need serious levers, grab a set of the Park TL-6s...steel cored...think 'mounting Contis on Campy Nucleons levers'.

-Mark in St Louis

vqdriver
08-30-2012, 10:54 PM
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t365/vulcanvillain/8b413894.jpg

Ftw

Louis
08-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Every now and then Park puts out a dud. They used to make a Campy BB tool that was terrible. (the BB with the scalloped edges, can't remember the flavor) Nearly every time you applied force to the tool it would slip off the BB. They finally got smart and added some "fingers" that allow you to push in to keep the tool engaged.

RD-3
08-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Pedro's all they way. If they break... lifetime warranty (not that they cost that much to start with).

Tony T
08-31-2012, 07:53 AM
The best I've found (for carrying in a saddle bag) are the Michelin, but they are very hard to find.

Monthly Payment
08-31-2012, 08:15 AM
The Park TL-4 is great. As many have pointed out, they are similar in width to the better Pedro's design. I carry one in my saddlebag and never a problem getting my super tight commuter tire off.
Link here:
http://www.parktool.com/product/tire-lever-set-tl-4

The TL-1 was the gold standard for lots of years but even then I never used the 3 lever set up where you were suppose to wrap 2 levers on for leverage. The wider TL-4, Pedro's, Michelin, etc. designs obviate the need for more than 1 lever which is really nice and for the time being, they still come in packages of 2.

zennmotion
08-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Titanium levers, 8 bucks but the ne plus ultra hand made by Ron at King Cage. Stiff and thin for tight tires and easily stick into jammed seat bags. I always wrap a bit of duct tape around the handles for an emergency tire boot. I got them to plump up my order for 2 bottle cages to qualify for free shipping, so in that case they cost me 4 bucks with the cages, no brainer.

http://www.kingcage.com/assets/img/levers.jpg

http://www.kingcage.com/products-waterbottle-cages.html

crownjewelwl
08-31-2012, 09:44 AM
you sissies carry tire levers??

i have broken a few park levers in my time messing with tubeless tires

DHallerman
08-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Titanium levers, 8 bucks but the ne plus ultra hand made by Ron at King Cage. Stiff and thin for tight tires and easily stick into jammed seat bags. I always wrap a bit of duct tape around the handles for an emergency tire boot. I got them to plump up my order for 2 bottle cages to qualify for free shipping, so in that case they cost me 4 bucks with the cages, no brainer.

http://www.kingcage.com/assets/img/levers.jpg

I hate the King ti levers. The same thing that seems like its strength -- made from titanium -- is also the reason the levers put dents into my alloy rims.

However, I find the same ti levers very useful for things like pushing down the tape on brake clamp strips when wrapping my handlebars.

Dave, who is a recent convert to Pedro's levers and loves loves loves them both in his basement shop and on the road

zennmotion
08-31-2012, 10:38 AM
I hate the King ti levers. The same thing that seems like its strength -- made from titanium -- is also the reason the levers put dents into my alloy rims.

However, I find the same ti levers very useful for things like pushing down the tape on brake clamp strips when wrapping my handlebars.

Dave, who is a recent convert to Pedro's levers and loves loves loves them both in his basement shop and on the road

Hate is a strong word. Therefore, my levers challenge your levers to a fight, mano a mano, no holds barred. You say you love both your tire levers equally, but which are you willing to sacrifice? Muahahahahaha!

Pedros may work better (you say), but what of the permanent grease stains? The ladies go for Ti... 'S ti lin!

jemoryl
08-31-2012, 10:47 AM
I thought Pedro's went out of business?