PDA

View Full Version : Which spokes to use

nismosr
08-30-2012, 01:32 PM
I will be buying a set of Ambrosio nemesis and Record Hubs and was wondering which spokes is best for the combo. I wanted to get a black spokes one too. any input and experience is great appreciated. thank you

Gummee
08-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Personally? 14/15 double butted with brass nipples. 3x all the way round

If you're over say 195-200 go straight 14s on the drive side in the back

Last you longer than the bike.

M

bluesea
08-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Is it true CXRays build with higher tension and result in stronger wheels?

nismosr
08-30-2012, 01:46 PM
yes I'm about 200lbs and im still in search of lbs in jersey who will lace them for me. I'll keep that in mind. thank you

cp43
08-30-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm 25 pounds heavier, and have built several wheelsets for my self with 14/15 double butted spokes, I haven't had any problems with them. I usually use 36 spokes, and always 3 cross.

Chris

maunahaole
08-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Get some Sapim Race from thorusa.com and be done with it. You can get black and buy as many as you need (no need to buy in lots of a full box). Prices are very reasonable.

You will need to call them on the phone to place your order. They ship quickly and are pleasant and helpful on the phone.

wallymann
08-30-2012, 02:29 PM
sapims...just because they sound so cool and euro-pro!

;)

the spokes are dang good, too!

I will be buying a set of Ambrosio nemesis and Record Hubs and was wondering which spokes is best for the combo. I wanted to get a black spokes one too. any input and experience is great appreciated. thank you

Mark McM
08-30-2012, 02:32 PM

No. Spoke tension is determined by the rim and number of spokes, not on the type of spokes.

They won't be stronger (will actually likely be weaker), but they may be more durable.*

(Strength is defined by the maximum single load to failure. Durability is defined as fatigue life - the number of cycles to failure for normal service loads.)

gdw
08-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Black Sapim Race spoke with silver brass nipple - $.50.
http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS-Spokes/435920/Sapim_Double_Butted_Spoke_(Black).html

teleguy57
08-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Was just going to post Dan's Comp for Sapim spokes but got beat to it:)

I'm a bit heavier than you, and built my Nemesis on Chorus 32 hole with Wheelsmith 14 DB front and NDS (they are 14/16 vs 14/15 for Sapim Race, but not as light as DT Revs or Sapim Lasers at 14/17) and Sapim Race DS. Went 2x NDS to improve bracing angle but I don't know that it really makes a difference.

I ordered my WS spokes from Alchemy; you can buy single spokes for a good price, and Jeremy and Sarah will help confirm you're ordering the right lengths.

This isn't a hard build to do well if you'd like to give it a try yourself....

bikinchris
08-30-2012, 08:34 PM
yes I'm about 200lbs and im still in search of lbs in jersey who will lace them for me. I'll keep that in mind. thank you

Lacing? That's the easy part. John Barnett tought his 5 year old how to lace wheels.

echelon_john
08-30-2012, 08:39 PM
WS DB14 all around. But the builder is a bigger factor than the spoke brand.

brando
08-30-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm >200 and CXRays are my go to for their sweet spot of bulletproof durability, slippery aero and excellent behavior in crosswinds.

RD-3
08-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Go with the CX Rays. They build up nice and are much lighter then other options. Great durability, have used them on downhill bike wheels.

FlashUNC
08-30-2012, 11:24 PM
I've had all my wheels built lately with Sapim Laser spokes. Really nice spokes IMO.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2012, 07:47 AM

Doubled butted spokes, 14/15/14, 2mm/1.8mm/2mm..brass nipps laced 3 cross all around..easy. I prefer DT.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2012, 07:48 AM

Tension is tension..the same regardless of spoke type. CX-Rays, in spite of the website info, still start life as thin spokes. No such thing as a free lunch.

PLUS they are expensive for no real benefit...not 'much lighter' as one poster mentioned, nor 'much more aero', the differences are lost in the noise, IMHO.

BUT all things being equal, a wheel built well with 14/15 spokes will be a more reliable wheel than one laced with thin(Cx-Ray, DT Aerolight, Laser or Revolutions) spokes all around.

zennmotion
08-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Doubled butted spokes, 14/15/14, 2mm/1.8mm/2mm..brass nipps laced 3 cross all around..easy. I prefer DT.

+1, except I have a small preference for Wheelsmith, as the J-bend is a little tighter and hugs the hub flange better. Sheldon Brown put me on to them in an Email (how did he ever find the time to respond to individual Email questions? But he did---- RIP) He claimed that DT stopped making different (ie different J-bend) spokes for custom builds, and their J bends are a little wider to accommodate automated wheel building machines and so need a little more pre-stressing.

djg21
08-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Personally? 14/15 double butted with brass nipples. 3x all the way round

If you're over say 195-200 go straight 14s on the drive side in the back

Last you longer than the bike.

M

I agree generally, but even if you're a clyde, I'd stay with the 14-15 db spokes. They are slightly more elastic than straight gauge and you'll be less likely the crack eyelets on the rim.

dvancleve
08-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Spoke count matters in the selection process, IMHO. Fewer spokes = more conservative spoke choice, for me anyway. Your default should be 14/15g double butted, any of the main brands are good. I think Sapim from danscomp.com are cheapest without some kind of bro deal.

CXRays are cool, but will easily double (maybe more like triple) the price of spokes. Lasers, or other 14/17g spokes, are much cheaper and just as light. Using 14/17 for front and non-drive side rear with 141/5g for the drive side is a good choice. You do need to be aware of spoke windup and compensate/deal with it when using the ultra butted spokes.

Conservative wheelbuilders will almost always pick either 32/32 or 36/36 with 14/15g spokes laced 3x and there's nothing wrong with that. To me, you are building a needlessly strong and heavy(er) front wheel by doing that. I think either 28/32 or 32/36 makes more sense and I think it is more fun/interesting to do a 2x non-drive side/3x drive side rear wheel and mathematically it might be a teensy bit stronger than 3x all around.

Doug

bluesea
09-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Tension is tension..the same regardless of spoke type. CX-Rays, in spite of the website info, still start life as thin spokes. No such thing as a free lunch.

PLUS they are expensive for no real benefit...not 'much lighter' as one poster mentioned, nor 'much more aero', the differences are lost in the noise, IMHO.

BUT all things being equal, a wheel built well with 14/15 spokes will be a more reliable wheel than one laced with thin(Cx-Ray, DT Aerolight, Laser or Revolutions) spokes all around.

Never done the weight weenie thing but now that I'm back on steel, weight is *becoming* less important. 32h rims with cup and cone C or S rims sounds cool.