PDA

View Full Version : Local "Cyclists Should be Banned" Article

ckamp
08-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Had this forwarded to me today.

Its a local here in Kamloops, BC ranting about road cyclists on one of the flatter ride routes.

Kamloops is known well for mountain biking but there is also a few road cyclist groups that enjoy the climbs.

http://armchairmayor.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/should-racing-cyclists-be-banned-from-westsyde-road/#comments

rugbysecondrow
08-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Had this forwarded to me today.

Its a local here in Kamloops, BC ranting about road cyclists on one of the flatter ride routes.

Kamloops is known well for mountain biking but there is also a few road cyclist groups that enjoy the climbs.

http://armchairmayor.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/should-racing-cyclists-be-banned-from-westsyde-road/#comments

Ranting? I think your reading of this is quite a bit different than mine. He didn't rant against cyclists at all, in fact he seemed to blame the planners for not incorporating enough adequate space for them.

Seems quite reasonable to me, a fair opening to a legit discussion.

45K10
08-30-2012, 11:32 AM
I think that it could be construed as rant. It was quite polite as far as rants go, but this is in Canada and Canadians in my experience are less "in your face" than Americans.
I moved to Vancouver a couple of months ago and I am amazed at how patient and careful the drivers are here toward cyclists. It is a much better experience when compared to riding in traffic in Florida.

PS I love the article comment posted by "Marco Pantani"

ckamp
08-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Ranting? I think your reading of this is quite a bit different than mine. He didn't rant against cyclists at all, in fact he seemed to blame the planners for not incorporating enough adequate space for them.

Seems quite reasonable to me, a fair opening to a legit discussion.

Actually, I agree its not much of a rant. Its a perspective from someone who seems to actually be concerned about hurting someone. And to be honest I agree with the concern.

The only rant is the title!

I just wanted to start some discussion :)

rugbysecondrow
08-30-2012, 12:33 PM
I think that it could be construed as rant. It was quite polite as far as rants go, but this is in Canada and Canadians in my experience are less "in your face" than Americans.
I moved to Vancouver a couple of months ago and I am amazed at how patient and careful the drivers are here toward cyclists. It is a much better experience when compared to riding in traffic in Florida.

Also, just because I think it is reasonable doesn't mean I agree. I think the discussion is good and I think it was formulated and articulated in a respectful and meaningful way. Much better than the way many cyclists and motorists represent themselves.

bikinchris
08-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Just another driver who uses "their own safety" as an argument for 'them' to GET OFF MY ROAD. The language is very typical Canadian. Nice people.

flydhest
08-30-2012, 12:45 PM
I have to agree with rugby on this one. The guy says that the road as constructed isn't safe for cyclists given the way cars drive. That may well be true. I can think of several solutions. He poses the (now no longer possible) idea of better shoulders, banning road cyclists and better signage as three possible solutions. I would through out, "have drivers drive carefully" as another.

I think the guy is implying that banning cyclists is his preferred solution, but he doesn't say it explicitly. I think he is wrong, but seems to me like you might be able to talk to the guy. On the other hand, maybe not. Given that in a discussion about solutions to a problem, banning one group is the first solution that comes to mind, one might think that the author (and I said "he" before without checking) is rather absolutist in character. My view is that bans are an extreme that are difficult to justify for activities that are in general legal. The tactic might be start off sounding reasonable, but start off with an extreme position to make anyone disagreeing sound unreasonable.

Aaron O
08-30-2012, 12:54 PM
The only issue I have is the title of the article - SHOULD CYCLISTS BE BANNED? seems a little dramatic and rant'ish. The actual post was reasonable and fair and, as Rugby states, is the opening of a discussion, not a rant.

merlinmurph
08-30-2012, 01:05 PM
From the article:
The problem is there are no paved shoulders; in fact, no shoulders at all for much of it.

My favorite roads to ride on are all roads with no shoulders. Around here, if a road has shoulders, it has traffic to go along with it - no thanks.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

ckamp
08-30-2012, 01:41 PM
just another driver who uses "their own safety" as an argument for 'them' to get off my road. The language is very typical canadian. Nice people.

+1

Kontact
08-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Arguably, there are some roads that aren't safe for cyclists and cars at the same time. While banning bikes seems so disturbing, in some circumstances it is the lessor of the evils.

zap
08-30-2012, 02:36 PM

You clearly have not lived in Quebec as I have.

Reading through the whole spiel and having dealt with such dialogue at Park and Planning meetings and volunteer bike patrols, the linked article may not be a rant but then again, maybe it is. I really do think its the latter.

45K10
08-30-2012, 05:50 PM
You clearly have not lived in Quebec as I have.

Reading through the whole spiel and having dealt with such dialogue at Park and Planning meetings and volunteer bike patrols, the linked article may not be a rant but then again, maybe it is. I really do think its the latter.

Nope I never lived in Quebec but ride your bike in Jacksonville, Fl. and then get back to me. I am not sure how many cyclists vs irate motorist assaults, stabbings and shootings happen in Quebec.

In Jax a day without someone getting chased into a parking lot by some dude in a truck brandishing a weapon is like a day without sunshine.

zap
08-31-2012, 08:47 AM
I have ridden in Florida, alas south florida only, and was pleased, despite reports to the contrary, how friendly motorists are towards cyclists...........compared to Washington, D.C.

Anyhow, my apologies. My response was a generality and did not realize your observation was motoring specific.

I agree that motorists in Canada (Ontario & Quebec specifically as that's where I've driven and raced-bicycles) are, compared to the United States, better not only for fellow motorists, but cyclists too.