PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Tv

tuxbailey
08-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Football season is here, which means the annual TV sale (or wait until BF.)

Last time I bought a TV was 7 years ago and I am starting to see good deals showing up here and there.

Does anyone have experience with LG TVs? Their LCD TV seems to get good review in Amazon.

Can't help but drool on the picture quality of the current generation of TVs when I go to Costco every weekend.

bikinchris
08-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Sharp Aquos TV. Nuf said.

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Selector.aspx

Get your best deal in writing and go to Sears for price matching.

zap
08-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Panasonic.......plasma.

We have a Panasonic plasma and a Samsung LCD.....both top of the line models when purchased......the plasma is still the preferred device for critical viewing.

dave thompson
08-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Our son gave us a Panasonic Viera plasma for Christmas two years ago. I've still not seen anything to match its clarity and colors.

esldude
08-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Yep, those plasmas give a nicer picture.

While plasma's by no means need a darkened room to work, if you watch in daylight with sunlit windows the LCD would do a bit better.

But the plasmas are the better picture. I have helped friends buy 3 of the Panasonic plasmas and all have been unusually good. Excellent accuracy on color tests too using one of the DIY calibration DVD's or blurays. Two of them needed no color adjustments. The other needed very little. They also came the closest to any I have done over the years in getting exact color accuracy.

Now having said that, if you mostly watch at night and can use a slightly darkened room almost all the time, some of the front projectors can be very good without costing much. Especially for something like football or other sports, but even for movies, there is a benefit to 100-120 inch screens that screens half their size cannot provide.

soulspinner
08-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Plasmas are great for fast moving stuff. LED and LCDs are better in bright areas but have less overall contrast for movies like Batman.
I have a Samsung plasma. Awesome.

parris
08-30-2012, 04:12 PM
At home I've got a Panasonic plasma and lcd. Both sets are very nice with the picture quality nod going to the plasma set.

I work in a facility that has tv's running 12-16 hr's+ daily. The brands are: LG, Panasonic, JVC, Vizio(sp), Toshiba, and Maybe Sony but I can't be sure with the last brand. All of the brands have been rock solid with the exception of a few of the earliest Vizio sets which also were among the first sets installed along with the Panasonic sets. The LG sets are the newest at 3 years but given the amount of hours all the sets are typically on it's still substantially more than most home sets will see over a longer time. It seems that the toughest choice with tv's these days is picking the feature set you like as the big brands are all really quite good.

Chance
08-31-2012, 07:52 AM
Does anyone have experience with LG TVs? Their LCD TV seems to get good review in Amazon.

Purchased an LG LCD a couple of years ago and returned it same day. Picture was awful. It was a small sample of one so others may be different. Samsung LCD was far better. Same location and everything else exactly the same. Maybe new LGs are better. Still, there has to be a reason one company makes more units.

Chance
08-31-2012, 08:00 AM
I have a Samsung plasma. Awesome.

We gave our parents an entry level Sansung plasma as a gift and although the picture is great, reflection off the screen during day time makes viewing almost impossible unless you sit directly in front of it. It's almost like a mirror during the day. Wish we would have returned it and gotten an LCD for a little more.

It also lacked connectivity options. Didn't think that would ever be important for them but then found that it only has an optical audio out, so my Dad's headphones can't be connected directly to TV. Still looking for an inexpensive workaround to this limitation without having to buy new digital headphones. And digital-to-analog audio converter ratings seem questionable unless expensive.

veloduffer
08-31-2012, 08:10 AM
I suggest you also consider a TV that can stream from Netflix, Amazon, etc.

pjm
08-31-2012, 09:39 AM
LG (formally Goldstar) and Samsung are the Kia and Hyundai of electronics, and like the car companies they've improved by leaps and bounds over the past decade or so.