PDA

View Full Version : Clincher cross tires

xeladragon
08-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Recommendations for best all-around cross clinchers? I'm in the market for a pair, coming off some Challenge Grifos, which were nice, but not the most durable. I'll be using them mainly for dirt/gravel roads and winter commuting (salt/sand/snow/slush on paved roads). Schwalbe Racing Ralphs? Continental CycloXKing? Michelin Jet/Mud2?

Pete Mckeon
08-30-2012, 08:55 AM
are you "tubed" or tubeless. WHat tire pressure are you using?

All of them will work and I do not see anyone wearing then out. I would think the size you are using is a 32 or a 28.

Others will have more hands on experience than I but the brands you mentioned are good for tubed riding you described.

pete

holliscx
08-30-2012, 09:31 AM
The 'cross crazies in Portlandia would probably say:

PDX Clincher FTW

http://clementcycling.com/86/pdx-clincher

Gummee
08-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Guy I was riding with last nite was on Mud 2s. Seem to work. I ride my Racing Ralphs on gravel pretty frequently.

Lots of pavement between gravel sections? Ritchey Speedmax seems to be the best compromise.

M

redir
08-30-2012, 09:40 AM
For that kind of riding the Ritchey SpeedMax is hard to beat.

xeladragon
08-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Tubed, not tubeless. And probably more winter commuting than dirt/gravel.

zennmotion
08-30-2012, 10:49 AM

Commuting and riding on more or less maintained unpaved/gravel roads? Forget the noisy knobs, Panaracer Pasela TG in 32 or 35c, tried and true.

AngryScientist
08-30-2012, 10:54 AM

in that case you dont want a knobby tire. pavement kills these, plus they are lousy to ride on the road.

i'm very happy with vittoria cross xn's for conditions like you describe, but for mostly on-road stuff you would be well suited to a slick tire in 28-32c range too.

sc53
08-30-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm trying some Vittoria Hyper Randonneur 700 x 35 tires that were recommended in another thread.

xeladragon
08-30-2012, 11:36 AM
in that case you dont want a knobby tire. pavement kills these, plus they are lousy to ride on the road.

i'm very happy with vittoria cross xn's for conditions like you describe, but for mostly on-road stuff you would be well suited to a slick tire in 28-32c range too.

AS, have you ridden the XN's in wet/snowy/slushy conditions yet? I've come across a few people recommending file tread tires for such conditions... I'm a little skeptical though. FWIW, I drive when it's icy, which is why I'm not thinking about studded tires for the winter.

Dave B
08-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Recommendations for best all-around cross clinchers? I'm in the market for a pair, coming off some Challenge Grifos, which were nice, but not the most durable. I'll be using them mainly for dirt/gravel roads and winter commuting (salt/sand/snow/slush on paved roads). Schwalbe Racing Ralphs? Continental CycloXKing? Michelin Jet/Mud2?

Would be my choice. I love these things or the Fangos.

Lovetoclimb
08-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Were you on Grifo Open tubulars? Those have to get my nod for best all around, but for half the price or less you can get Michelin Mud 2s which have so far been a great all purpose cross tire for me.

buldogge
08-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Might want to consider Kenda SmallBlock 8s as well...32 or 35c.

-Mark in St. Louis

BSUdude
08-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Clement makes some nice clinchers. Their PDX is nice, as well as the LAS (file tread). The PDX held up well, but the LAS tread wore down fairly quickly. I'd give them a hard look. Michelin Mud 2s are good for mud. I've no experience with challenge clinchers, but the popularity of their tubulars make me think that some clincher grifos might be worth a good look as well.

xjoex
08-30-2012, 11:49 PM
A great bet is the Michelin Mud 2. They really work well in all conditions.
http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=cyclocrossmud2.view

I rode a Bontrager Jones for a while, I was amazed at how well it worked. I rode it all over the place.
http://bontrager.com/model/00433

I recently put on a new tires on my Mudhoney, its a Clement PDX, aggressive tire, I have been riding it on the local trails and it has been working quite well.
http://clementcycling.com/86/pdx-clincher

-Joe

Bruce K
08-31-2012, 04:01 AM
Avoid anything knobby. You will wear them out very quickly.

The Clement file tread is what I've used in the conditions you are talking about and they work great. They are also excellent in dirt as long as it is dry or hard packed conditions. Anything wet or loose and you will just be spinning away with no grip.

BK

William
08-31-2012, 06:20 AM
Club Roost Cross Terra tires.

Inexpensive, long lasting, tough, and roll amazingly smooth on pavement. Low center lug for low rolling resistance, aggressive side walls for bite when cornering.

http://www.cyclocrossworld.com/club-roost-cross-terra-27-clincher

William

Bruce K
08-31-2012, 07:33 AM
If not the Club Roost I would look at CyclocrossWorld. Com's website for the widest selection and good info on cross clinchers

BK

xeladragon
08-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Avoid anything knobby. You will wear them out very quickly.

The Clement file tread is what I've used in the conditions you are talking about and they work great. They are also excellent in dirt as long as it is dry or hard packed conditions. Anything wet or loose and you will just be spinning away with no grip.

BK

Thanks everyone for all the input so far. So Bruce, you've used the Clement clincher file tread on our sandy/salty/snowy/slushy pothole-laced NE roads without any traction issues? I've read that a file tread at a low PSI is good for ice and hard-packed snow but not as much for slush and fluffy snow.

Decisions... decisions...

Steve in SLO
08-31-2012, 10:53 AM
If you are mostly commuting on them, how about something like Panaracer T-servs or Paselas? Both have some fine tread, are long-lasting and work well on gravel/dirt roads under sane riding conditions. They are available in 25-35c sizes. I rode the h*ll out of a pair of 28c T-servs in Oregon last week and was impressed both at road suppleness and resistance flats on dirt/gravel.

djg
08-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Along with others, I'd ask whether you really want a cross tire at all. For dirt roads and commuting on terrible roads, you might do better with a higher volume road tire or touring tire -- maybe something in a 27 or 28c, or 30 if you want to go bigger.

A file tread cross tire would not be a bad option, but note that many available file treads are not purely file treads -- they have small side knobs that can help with cornering in a variety of off-road conditions, but maybe are only sometimes useful on dirt or gravel roads and maybe are never useful on pavement -- we've all taken them on the road, and yeah, it's not so bad, but it's not as if they were made for road riding (and not as if you won't notice). I like them for commuting/cross practice combos -- have some file tread clinchers with little side knobs and ride them to work a few times a week during cross season, working in some excursions onto the grass just to reinforce the feel of it, take some curves here and there, and maybe take a few minutes out to practice this or that in particular. But if it were just about winter commuting I'd ride something else.

Bruce K
08-31-2012, 02:29 PM
I've ridden them around the north shore in some slush. No deep snow or glare ice

They have been pretty reasonable and I am thinking nothing will be perfect

BK

CNY rider
08-31-2012, 03:13 PM

I have Conti Cyclocross Speeds which perform well in these conditions.
In fact I will be riding them at our Dirtphalt ride next month.

jerome
08-31-2012, 03:20 PM
When choosing a tire I am looking first at the quality

- treads
- gum quality

next at the profile

for me Continental are far the best.

next Schwable, Maxxis, Clément... last Michelin, Hutchinson ...

if it is not for racing : Continental once again flat free.

xeladragon
09-01-2012, 08:19 AM
When choosing a tire I am looking first at the quality

- treads
- gum quality

next at the profile

for me Continental are far the best.

next Schwable, Maxxis, Clément... last Michelin, Hutchinson ...

if it is not for racing : Continental once again flat free.

I do like Continental tires. In my limited experience riding various brands of tires (Conti GP 4 Season and 4000S, Vittoria Open Corsa CX and SC, Michelin Pro3 Race, and Challenge Grifo), taking everything into account (rolling resistance, puncture resistance, grip, suppleness, blah, blah, blah...), Contis are tops for me. Currently leaning towards the CycloXKing... supposed to be their best all-around cross tire. Thanks for all the recommendations so far.

xeladragon
09-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Decided to go with the Clement PDX. Tread pattern should meet my needs pretty well, I like the extra width (34mm), hopefully it's more durable than the Grifos, and I got a good deal on them. :) Looking forward to trying them out off-road and for commuting as well when the roads look a little too messy for my Conti 4-Seasons.

RFC
09-01-2012, 11:54 PM
For that kind of riding the Ritchey SpeedMax is hard to beat.

My vote.